“Great Wings!”

Add it.
Smoke on the Square
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

As a local resident of Shelby, NC, I try to stay away from chain restaurants, and there aren't many other options. Smoke on the Square is an independently owned restaurant, in the heart of downtown Shelby. My husband and I usually dine at SOTS on Thursdays, as they have a special on chicken wings. However, this is not your typical "wing joint." The atmosphere is a little nicer than the usual family restaurant, with dim lighting, white linens and oversized leather booths. The food is good, but my biggest complaint is that it's overpriced. The fried green tomatoes are some of the best I've ever had. There is a great selection of steak, chicken and seafood options. If you aren't watching your waistline, the shrimp grits are a must try! Only bottled beer is served, but there is a good selection and there is a variety of wine, including some from a local winery. I have always received great and friendly service and would recommend this local eatery.

1  Thank Triperoo

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I have never eaten in the actual restaurant but I have eaten their food on three different days - They catered a health fair where I was a vendor. The food was awesome!! I love barbeque and they did it right! Great food!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Poor service, bad steak, they couldn't even make a decent drink. Nuf said - At least they have alcohol.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I should have listened to the reviews and stayed away but I didn't! As other reviews have said, the guy who should be seating people ignores whoever is standing at the counter to be seated and continues to have his conversations with whoever he knows in the restaurant. The set up of the restaurant is kind of weird and they had a private party going on so it seemed people were walking all around us to get to the room they were in. Some actually stopped and talked to each other while leaning on our table which was really unusal - we thought maybe they were going to sit down and have dinner with us! All of the booths are semi circles and against the wall so everyone sitting there is facing the other tables. Again, just felt weird to us! The two servers seemed to try their best but we waited forever to get drinks, then appetizer, then dinner, then take home boxes, and finally the check. I'm not sure if they have the servers doing both the restaurant and the private party which could explain why everything took twice as long as it should. Our appetizer (fried pickles w/ranch dip) was pretty good but very salty - but they ARE salty pickles so we should have expected that! They were actually the best part of the meal. I chose the BBQ plate (chopped bbq (think it was beef?!) hush puppies, red slaw, fries) and my daughter had the beef brisket (comes with fries and she chose cheese grits as a second side). Both were below average. Meat was dry on both entrees and bbq sauce tasted like a generic brand sweet thick sauce that was just put on the top of both entrees. They claim the fries are hand made but really didn't seem like they were. Hush puppies were very bland - tasted like corn meal mush just deep fried - not really any seasoning. The red slaw and grits we had never had before so we don't know how they are supposed to taste but we didn't like either of these! Needless to say, we were very disappointed. I should've known to trust my fellow reviewers! Don't waste your time.