“Worst hotel I've ever been to”
Review of Super 8 Shelby

Super 8 Shelby
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Shelby
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Checked in (I'm a single woman) and was only there 30 minutes when construction workers from Webb's Construction out of Carlington, Georgia (who stay there regularly) called my room. They were a couple of doors down. I told him that he must have the wrong number. He said no he didn't. I asked him who he was looking for and he said "I'm looking for some company?" I hung up the phone and called the front desk and reported it. He said that I was perfectly safe and that he would take care of it. He did nothing and the construction workers were still there when I left. Some safety....the chain lock on the door was dangling off with only one screw in it. No women should stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: No woman should stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Linda L
chapehilltraveller, Manager at Super 8 Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

The lady complain about disturance from other guest.The night auditor talked to the guest.The lady was refunded full money.We reported to the supervisor and emplyer of the worker in the morning as a result he was immediately susspeded.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

Never again will I stay at a Super 8! Strong odor in the room. The bathroom smelled & appeared dirty. I took a shower instead of a bath. I pulled down the sheet & my son noticed something crawling, he picked it up & thought it was a tick. I took the sheets all the way off, didn't see any more, so went on to bed. Two days later, I had blistery welps that itched like crazy all over my face, neck forehead, ears, & some on my legs & arms. Upon arriving home, it was so bad my husband took me to the doctor at 8:30 pm & sure enough he immediately said it was bed bug bites. Bed bugs are "similar" in appearance to a tick, & you can break out up to 9 days later. I paid $70 for that dump of a room thro priceline.com. Not to mention my co-pay of $15 for Dr. visit & cost of medicine.This is day 3, I'm still breaking out w/more. Also, if that's not enough to convince anyone not to stay here, there was 2 baby roaches on the bathroom vanity. I plan to also report this to the Better Business Bureau. They should be held accountable to resolve it AND to pay my money back, but I'm sure that will never happen.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shanda S
chapehilltraveller, General Manager at Super 8 Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

We do not agree with it. She complained to health department on 02/03/2012 about it. That was Friday.Health department inspector came to check on 02/05/12 at 10 a.m. in the morning.She checked about six more rooms and tound nothing wrong and she gave us a letter also.The same room was rented about six times after 01/23/12 without any complain.We have documents to prove it.We have changed carpet,furniture and mattressin all the rooms in 2011 and have documents to prove it.All those documents were presented to inspector.The guest may have picked it up from somewere else on her way here,.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights, for work. I was very satisfied with my room. It was very clean. Had a great price. /everybody was very friendly. I would recommend this hotel to others. Its close to shopping and eating places.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The main complaint I would have about this hotel, is that No-Smoking signs are all over, but apparently the hotel has not had time to air out since the policy was implemented. It had a strong nicotine odor, which is apparently from years of cigarette smoke. The room in and of itself was clean, but I recommend getting a room as far away from the road as possible. You can hear every car that goes by. They need to perhaps focus on doing whatever it takes to remove those odors. The price is not bad, but spend the extra $20-$30 and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the road as possible. Too noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We were a little scared to stay here based on some of the other reviews, but we needed a place to stay one night where we could also have our dog...so we decided to take a chance. FYI - we had to pay $10 cash when we checked in so we could have the dog. Our room was in the middle on the second floor (room 207). The room was fine - not great, not terrible...just fine. Yes, the carpets look like they need to be replaced, but the bedding and bathroom were in very good shape (see pictures). We also had a working fridge that we used to store leftovers from dinner, and a clean microwave. The heater worked, and was helpful in drowning out the noise from busy Hwy 74. TV and internet worked just fine as well. Our only complaint was that the shower head was a bit clogged with buildup, reducing the water pressure. I have to admit, we didn't expect much at this hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised. If you have high expectations or want more luxury, then don't stay here. If you just need a decent place to stay for a little while, this is a very affordable and pet friendly option.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarolinaBorn
Reviewed October 12, 2011

This place was not terrible for the price and for just a place to rest and sleep. The people at the desk were very nice and helpful to give us dinner suggestions too. But the Internet connectivity was terrible. I needed to do my work and could not because the connection keep dropping. When we complained, we were told it was always like that when it rained, so I just was not able to work at all and that was very disappointing because I needed to. And the breakfast was very simple and not much for variety. I am on a low fat diet and so I did eat the cereal. But a lady came to eat that was a diabetic and she could not find anything she could eat as she did not eat cereal. The OJ tasted like SunnyD--not good. But for the money for the room, it was a bonus

Room Tip: If you have a choice, don't get a room towards the road because the road noise is LOUD! The roo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ddtilman
Reviewed July 25, 2010

I do not recommed this place to anyone. The room smelled like body oder. Bathroom was very dirty. Ice Machine was broken on 1 st floor. Did not even go into lobby for breakfast because when I checked in I could see how dirty this place was.(thought room would be ok) Needs to be updated. No battery in smoke alarm. Went to Wal Mart got cleaning supplies and cleaned room. THIS PLACE NEEDS CLEANED FROM TOP TO BOTTOM!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family