“great place”

The Purple Onion Cafe
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Shallotte
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: The Purple Onion Cafe opened on Main Street in Shallotte in 2004. Since then they have become a community favorite serving locals & visitors breakfast and lunch with a delicious menu of pastries, traditional breakfast items, burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts.
North Carolina
“great place”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

I'm a local and both being busy people, my mom and I love to eat there for lunch. They just recently opened for dinner and I have not tried it but if it is anything like lunch and breakfast, I'm sure it is great. The guy who gave it less than 3 stars- I was very surprised he called it "Brunswick County Professional" AKA slothful. Sure, we are very laid back being in the south, but they certainly are not. Service is very nice and friendly. I am also offended that he thinks that slothful is "Brunswick County Professional." I also noticed it was commented that Betty's Uptown restaurant was good, that was not true either (notice, they closed and Purple Onion is still going strong) I hope everyone finds this helpful I feel as though I am being harsh, but I also felt as though it needed to be said. Oh and let me say - you have to get their sweet potato fries, they are amazing :)

3 Thank sydney5590

NC
“One of our favorite places”
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My husband can't leave with out a piece of velvet cake. Love the staff and their smiles. Haven't eaten anything there that was not good...and I am very picky!! We take all out guest's there for breakfast while we are vacationing. Sure wish we lived here...maybe they'll start a chain!!! =)

outlook235
“Consistently excellent lunch fare!”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I've been to the Brunswick County, NC area four times and each time I've made an effort to eat lunch at the Purple Onion. I've ordered different sandwiches each time and they've all been excellent. They make their own fresh potato chips which are a perfect accompaniment to the sandwiches. You can order a side of ranch dressing for dipping, which I highly recommend. They also have several other choices you can order for sides including sweet potato fries. Their menu is quite extensive for a local diner type restaurant including a nice selection of salads and various quesadillas (including an all vegetable quesadilla). Their portions are very generous and the average person will find it hard to finish.
With the P. O. being a bakery, you have several choices of bread for sandwiches as well as luscious and enticing desserts to choose from if you can find the room. The desserts are extremely reasonably priced with a generous slice of pie or cake averaging $1.75 to $2.50. Their baked items are very nicely displayed as you walk in and makes it hard to resist temptation.
Definitely a place to try if you are staying within 25 miles of Shallotte (Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, Calabash, Little River, etc.).

The beach
“Fantastic service and great food!”
Reviewed November 23, 2008

We had The Purple Onion cater our wedding. The food was set up and waiting for us when we arrived. There was plenty of food for everyone. People kept talking about how great the food tasted.

We would pick The Purple Onion again to cater an event. We can't wait to come back to Shallotte to eat at the resturant with our friends and family.

Julian, Pennsylvania
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

Our party of nine ate dinner there last week, July 17, 2008, and the food was excellent. Everyone's food was cooked to perfection (we are food snobs too), and the service was great. The owner said they have a new staff, and they are doing a great job. I would recommend this place to anyone. We have eaten at some of the best seafood restaurants in the area and along the Carolina coast, and this one ranks up there with the best and most popular.