“One of our favorite places”

The Purple Onion Cafe
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Shallotte
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: The Purple Onion Cafe opened on Main Street in Shallotte in 2004. Since then they have become a community favorite serving locals & visitors breakfast and lunch with a delicious menu of pastries, traditional breakfast items, burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts.
Reviewed May 9, 2009

My husband can't leave with out a piece of velvet cake. Love the staff and their smiles. Haven't eaten anything there that was not good...and I am very picky!! We take all out guest's there for breakfast while we are vacationing. Sure wish we lived here...maybe they'll start a chain!!! =)

Reviewed April 11, 2009

I've been to the Brunswick County, NC area four times and each time I've made an effort to eat lunch at the Purple Onion. I've ordered different sandwiches each time and they've all been excellent. They make their own fresh potato chips which are a perfect accompaniment to the sandwiches. You can order a side of ranch dressing for dipping, which I highly recommend. They also have several other choices you can order for sides including sweet potato fries. Their menu is quite extensive for a local diner type restaurant including a nice selection of salads and various quesadillas (including an all vegetable quesadilla). Their portions are very generous and the average person will find it hard to finish.
With the P. O. being a bakery, you have several choices of bread for sandwiches as well as luscious and enticing desserts to choose from if you can find the room. The desserts are extremely reasonably priced with a generous slice of pie or cake averaging $1.75 to $2.50. Their baked items are very nicely displayed as you walk in and makes it hard to resist temptation.
Definitely a place to try if you are staying within 25 miles of Shallotte (Holden Beach, Ocean Isle, Sunset Beach, Calabash, Little River, etc.).

Reviewed November 23, 2008

We had The Purple Onion cater our wedding. The food was set up and waiting for us when we arrived. There was plenty of food for everyone. People kept talking about how great the food tasted.

We would pick The Purple Onion again to cater an event. We can't wait to come back to Shallotte to eat at the resturant with our friends and family.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

Our party of nine ate dinner there last week, July 17, 2008, and the food was excellent. Everyone's food was cooked to perfection (we are food snobs too), and the service was great. The owner said they have a new staff, and they are doing a great job. I would recommend this place to anyone. We have eaten at some of the best seafood restaurants in the area and along the Carolina coast, and this one ranks up there with the best and most popular.

Reviewed September 27, 2007

My wife and I ate dinner at this restaurant because we had stopped for pastries there one morning and found them to be decent. The dinner was not. First, they were out of white wine the night we were there. Come on. There are two grocery stores 30 seconds away where they could have at least gotten box wine! The merlot I had tasted like it was turning. My wife ordered a tuna steak that was supposed to be medium rare. It was overcooked. I ordered scallops in a cream sauce. They were overcooked (tough little things) and the cream sauce was watery. The scalloped potatoes were nicely seasoned but cold and the broccoli side also cold. The service was "Brunswick County professional" meaning slothful. The owner is a nice lady and means well but the execution was lacking. If there was an "Okay minus" category that would be a better rating. Stick to the pastries and go to Betty's Uptown across the street.

2  Thank subtropical_ken