“Don't Walk, Run to this Delicious Restaurant!”

Mama Brava's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 47 Restaurants in Shallotte
Cuisines: Italian
North Carolina
“Don't Walk, Run to this Delicious Restaurant!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My daughter's and I read some of the reviews of Mama Brava's and decided to give it a try. My youngest ordered a medium pizza with pineapple and cheese. The crust and toppings were perfect, crisp and delicious! My other daughter ordered the spaghetti with meatballs and I ordered the spaghetti with meat sauce. Both dishes were EXCELLENT!!! The sauce was so tasty, rich and robust! The meatballs were delicious, you could taste the high quality ingredients! Both pasta dishes came with tasty garlic bread and a side salad with a homemade dressing. You must give this great italian place a try! It is right beside The Home Depot (on Holden Beach Road) just off of Main Street in downtown Shallotte. The prices are affordable and portions are great! Service was excellent, we were checked on many times to make sure we had everything to make our meal perfect!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank worldwidetravelgirl

Shallotte, North Carolina, United States
“Wing sauce is best...”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The wing sauce won the "best of the beach" sauce in Myrtle Beach a few years back. It is different from any other sauce I have ever tried. Very, very good.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Bobbie B
“A surprising little place!”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I found this restaurant the other day while out running errands. Another reviewer said it had only opened a year ago but after talking with the chef/manager I found out they have been open in this location for almost 17 years. The exterior could use a facelift as it doesn't stand out or draw your attention so it is easy to miss unless you know where you're going. On the inside, the restaurant looks a little dated and could use some work. It is deceiving though. From the outside it looks like a little "hole in the wall" but once inside you discover another entire dining room and bar have been added. I was told that since the road linking Shallotte and Holden Beach has bee rerouted, the "back room" has not been used except for private parties. That is a shame because I found that room much more inviting and would have preferred to sit back there.
On to the food: We started with the "Best on the Beach" wings because our server said that was their best selling appetizer. They arrived hot and crispy. The flavor was different from any other wings I have had-sweet and spicy at the same time. I was told they have a hotter version but the original had enough heat for me. We thoroughly enjoyed them and will order them again! Our salads arrived as we were finishing the wings and, while fresh and crisp, they were pretty generic salads with iceberg lettuce and a couple of pieces of tomato, onion and cucumber thrown on. The Italian dressing, on the other hand, was excellent. Our server told us it was homemade. We ordered a variety of entrees so we could sample bites of each others' meals and found some to be excellent while others were just so-so. One of our dinners was a 10" "personal" pizza which was the perfect size for an adult. The crust only comes one way-New York style-and was nice and thin, crisp on the bottom yet still able to be folded like true New York pizza. The toppings were fresh (except for the mushrooms) and the sauce was very flavorful. What I liked most was there wasn't a huge amount of cheese which would have masked all of the other flavors and left me with an oily mess. Another entree was spaghetti and meatballs. This was a family favorite. The portion was generous and the meatballs moist and very tasty. The marinara was excellent. The third winner was the Chef Special. It was Baked Ziti in a Pesto Alfredo sauce. The sauce was a creamy blend of butter, milk, cream and parmesan with a dollop of pesto all mixed together then tossed with pasta, topped with a bit of mozzarella cheese and baked in the oven. Our so-so meal was the lasagna. While the ingredients were all homemade, making this dish "to the order" doesn't allow the flavors to meld together or the pasta layers to absorb the flavors of the sauce, meat, etc.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience and will return to sample other menu items and see what they've created for the chef's specials. My suggestion is stick with everything made in-house (dough, sauces, meatballs, sausage, calzones, etc) and you will be pleasantly surprised by this little family owned Italian restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Lgavin
Supply, North Carolina
“only been once”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

i have only been here once when it first opened more then a yr agho it was ok but i have never been back it wasnt anything that i would go back for

• Visited September 2012