“Best value of any golf course I've ever played”

River's Edge Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Shallotte
More attraction details
Owner description: Arnold Palmer designed layout was selected by Golf Magazine as one of the top 20 "Best New Courses that you can play" in the United States.
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I've played several courses on the top 100 lists and this course is the best value by far. I played for $40 and would have been happy playing three times that amount.

The entire course is in awesome shape. It has been raining all week and the course had drained very well. The staff were very friendly and the neighborhood has some beautiful homes. And the wildlife is spectacular...in one day I saw an alligator, a hawk tearing apart a bird it caught on the green, and dozens of other colorful birds.

But the thing that makes the course so amazing is the stretch of holes along the marsh. 16-18 is probably the best closing stretch I have ever played, at least in terms of scenery. The entire course is very fair with a premium placed on placement rather than distance.

I stayed in Myrtle Beach, played the course early in the week, and decided to trek back up to NC instead of playing something closer to where I was staying later in the week.

1  Thank Nate E

Reviewed January 15, 2012

River's Edge is our favorite course in the area. It is in wonderful condition... The fairways were in great shape and the greens were even better. The staff is extremely friendly. And this course has some of the most beautiful holes that you will see in the area... especially those along the waterway.

One of the reasons why I like this course is the high level of difficulty, as some of the holes can be an extreme challenge. The slope from the back tees (where I play) is 149. However, there are 5 tee boxes and you can play from whatever level suits you. My wife is a higher handicapper and the slope from her tee box is 119 (and she loves the course also). The slope from the men's front tee box is 117. So don't let the difficulty keep you away.

Even a non-golfer will find holes number 8,9,16,17 and 18 among the most beautiful holes they will ever see. And considering the beauty of the course, the fee rates are extremely low. This course is a must play, and only a short drive from the Myrtle Beach area.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Husband and I played January of 2012 for the first time. Found the fairways and greens in average to above average condition. Every hole that was not a par 3 was a blind tee shot which is not exactly my favorite type of course. also the landing areas of some of the blind tee shots were quite narrow and lined with bunkers. Each fairway had a left to right slope off the tee. The setting was gorgeous. Lots of trees and views of the marsh. Make sure you have someone watching your shots for general direction location as you won't see your ball land, half the fun for me is watching a great tee shot. We will not return. Also no bathrooms for the ladies except the pro shop.

1  Thank cybersis007
Reviewed December 25, 2011

This is a really fun golf course to play. It has had some condition issues in the past, especially the greens, but it was in pretty good shape on this trip. The greens were as good as I have ever seen them.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

I played here Sat. Aug. 7th, 2010. I wished I had found a recent review of this course before heading north to play a so-so course. I really found the layout to be very nice and many holes were challenging and well thoughout. The unfortunate thing is the greens and many of the tee boxes were in horrible shape. They were extremely sandy and really bumpy...probably some of the slowest greens I have ever played on. We had the first tee time in the am and they had just finished mowing the greens, but it looked as they had not been cut in 2 days! They had just changed the grass on the greens to a salt resistant seaside passpallyum grass a year prior, which may be more resistant to the elements, but are not what I would consider a benefit...I drove 35 mins from N. Myrtle to play and in hindsight should have played in the area. Hopefully, it was just a bad day for the course?

2  Thank dcorey22