“worst holiday inn”

Days Inn Shallotte
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Shallotte
Reviewed August 9, 2007

dirty halls
door did not close and noise and sound came in from hall
breakfast area not well attended - hot rolls cold
we are priority club members and were not acknowledged
we always use holiday inn and have never had a stay like this

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed July 4, 2006

My family of four stayed at the Shallotte Holiday Inn Express in late June, 2006. We picked it because of reasonably good reviews on this website and because of the recommendation of a local resident who checked the place out before we got there. Having not been in the other two hotels in the area, I cannot compare, but suffice it to say that this place was a mixed bag at best.
We stayed in a room with two queen sized beds and paid $97.00 average per night ($95 on the 4 weeknights we were there and $105 on the one weekend night we were there). The beds were adequate, but the bedding was awful. All I can figure is that they replaced the mattresses but are using bedding from the old mattresses because nothing fit. I spent half the night waking up and finding myself wrapped up in the bottom sheet and/or sleeping on the bare mattress (yuck!).
Also, the breakfast, while free, was a very sparse affair - english muffins and cereal and gross sugary cinnamon buns, plus a lousy selection of out-of-season not-local fruit. I questioned the refrigeration of the milk and juices that were laid out, too, but no one in our family got sick, at least.
The front desk was understaffed (I had to go and pick up an extra pillow and set of towels because there was only one person on duty in the whole building) and the night staff was cranky in particular. Jonnie, the front desk staff manager was terrific and helpful but clearly had her hands full with supervision issues.
There is no elevator in this two story building, and the back middle staircase stinks of urine or some other gross smell that I can't quite identify. The rugs are mislaid in the back staircase and easy to trip on. Also, there does not seem to be functioning a/c in the hallways - it was unbearable while we were there.
The pool was fun for the kids, and the room was a decent size, so we stayed the whole five days despite the proximity of the Comfort Inn and Microtel down the highway just a bit. Next time, I will check out one or both of those places before I go back to the Holiday Inn Express. For the amount of money we paid, I was underwhelmed.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank mindfultraveler12345
Reviewed April 21, 2006

This was really a nice little motel -- we were in the area to attend an awards ceremony, and didn't want to drive all the way from the Raleigh area that Saturday morning, so we decided to find a place close to Brunswick Community College where we could spend the night. This Holiday Inn Express served our purpose perfectly, the rates and cleanliness couldn't be beat, the staff was nice, and the breakfast buffet was just fine.

I was amused, though, by the sign in the room that subtly discouraged people from stealing towels, etc., by advising that patrons could purchase these items (their price was listed on the sign) from the Housekeeping Department . . . I thought this was a very clever way of trying to preempt those who might be tempted to take hotel property that didn't belong to them, and although it might not work on the hard-core thieves, I'd think it could dissuade those on the fence (so to speak).

Anyway, I have zero complaints about this motel, and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2006
1  Thank wildcat863
Frederick, MD
Reviewed November 20, 2005

We stayed here for a wedding in Shallotte. I was very pleased with the clean room and kind staff. The breakfast was nice. The carpet in the hall was alittle dirty but the rooms were just fine!! If I ever have to go back to Shallotte, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

No I am not a travel reporter, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Actually we stayed for 3 nights while we were meeting with our local builder and several suppliers. Overall, this is a nice little hotel although a bit isolated from ammenities such as restaurants. It is just off Rt. 17 half way between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach SC and about a mile from Shallotte. My first impression as we entered the rear entrance to go to our 2nd floor room was a bit disconcerting. First, the back stairway was not air conditioned and the aroma brought back memories of cleaning out my gym locker at the end of school year. Second, the stairway carpet was badly stained. However, my concerns melted away when we entered the room. Everything was in great condition and the room and bed were quite comfortable. The room includes a small refrigerator. The free breakfast, while not luxurious, was filling and had a good variety of items to choose from. The outdoor pool is a bit on the small side but adequate unless you are sharing it with 5 or 6 active kids. All in all, if you are looking for a place to stay in the Shallotte/Southport area I recommend the Holiday Inn Express in Shallotte.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank fgaaron
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed January 14, 2005

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Shallotte North Carolina and had a wonderful stay. The staff is great and the rooms are clean. We will always stay there when in the area

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newland, NC
Reviewed January 13, 2005

My fiance and I recently said at the Holiday Inn Express in Shallotte, NC in October of 2004. From start to finish it was a very enjoyable stay! We were checked in in under a minute and had no problems at all with our reservation. We stayed in a king room which was very nice. It had a coffee maker and micro/fridge. The Continental Breakfast was great and those cinnamon rolls are VERY addictive. The entire staff was very cheerful and pleasant. It was one of the most accomadating stays we have had in a very long time. Thank you Holiday Inn Express!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shallotte
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Southport
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area

Been to Days Inn Shallotte? Share your experiences!