“zengs garden”

Zeng's Garden Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #28 of 48 Restaurants in Shallotte
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed March 9, 2013

best chinese food around - i've been to several different cities and nothing compares to zengs garden.

2  Thank Jane G
There are newer reviews for Zeng's Garden Chinese Restaurant

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Almost every item is something fried and the meat is tasteless inside a crust, everything over-salty and even though they're rated Number 1 Chinese Buffet in Brunswick (no clue how they're doing this) believe me, I'm a foodie and this place is the pits for Chinese. Plus, the waiters stand twenty feet away and stare directly at you every second you are there.

4  Thank BiminiZane
Reviewed July 20, 2012

and you are in Shallotte or on vacation at any of the surrounding Beach towns, hope you know how to cook it. OK, kidding aside - the look of Zeng's from the outside will scare some people away, it did me for a good while when I moved to this area. There is no doubt it could use a face-lift (inside and out). The main reason they don't care or change anything is because they don't have any competition to speak of.

If you just want regular Americanized Chinese food (a lot of fried stuff), then you can get get your fill for sure. Service is good and the Owners are friendly folks. They will customize orders, leave out MSG where they can, kick up the spice level and do serve ample portions.

I'm not a big fan of Buffets in general but they do keep theirs stocked and food rotated. My problem with this place in the last couple of years is that the interior is just getting darker and grungier to the point I would just get an occasional "To Go" order. Then my wife and I started to question the cleanliness of some of the ingredients in the food. How hard is it to peel or at least wash carrots before you chop them? We noticed this several times in a row, then kept looking at the kitchen which they just wrap everything in Industrial Grade Foil instead of clean.

I'm personally done with Zeng's until they get a full tilt makeover. I honestly hope they do as they are currently the only Chinese place we even considered, a few others around are way worse. I've given up hope of Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. here.

Guess I'll have to keep feeding all of my Asian food cravings when I get out of town.

4  Thank OldSchoolDropout
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Visited 3 or 4 times and even though the buffet is quite large with many choices, we felt that all of the food was lukewarm at each visit. I wanted to like it there, but..... I like my food a hot temperature

6  Thank PatC330
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Food was hot and fresh, service very friendly. Nice variety of dishes. Each had its own identity. Would eat here next time I am in town.