“Pass on this one”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Selma
Florida
“Pass on this one”
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My Dad likes Hampton Inn's and recommended we stay in this one. After breakfast, he said "this place was a loser". He was only able to eat one bite of the mystery thing that he nuked for breakfast (stick with the cold breakfast). He described them as "chintzy" because other Hamptons give USA Today papers to all guests, but here only Hilton members get one. I felt like the place was tired and a bit grubby. Not quite clean. Mostly I resented paying more for this stay than for the Grand Hyatt near the White House, or the MUCH better Hampton Inn in Fredricksburg Va.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
PA & FLA
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I go between PA & Florida frequently. I have stopped in MANY hotels along that corridor and I am always nervous trying a new one. Well, this was a very pleasant surprise. Really nice people at the front desk. Clean as a whistle. Nice room! did not stink from smoking or anything else. Very comfortable matress with decent quality linens. CLEAN bathroom, good shower head and..most appreciated....QUIET!!! Morning. about the most decent free breakfast that you'll get in an overnight motel in those parts. Hot meals that you microwave..not great, but acceptable and quick. Good coffee. Here's the best part. These people are HONEST!! We, not knowingly left something in our room that some may consider "desireable" .We looked like mad for it, but to no avail. One week later, not expecting a result, I called the hotel & told them of my loss. It was in their lost & found!!! They cheerfully sent it to me! I have not had that kind of luck with hotels in MANY years!! I WILL return on my next jaunt up or down i-95 when a room is needed!!

• Liked — it was very comfortable, clean & QUIET!
  • Disliked — a little more $$$ than the others, but it was really worth it!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 5, 2008

I stayed here for one night on a road trip down to Charleston, SC. We drove until we got too tired to keep going, and based on a billboard pulled over in Selma to find a place to sleep. The Hampton Inn had availability and quickly checked us in. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed in a standard room which had two double beds.

The next morning I wanted to use the gym, which was small, but had one treadmill, however it was being used, which was a let down. We had continental breakfast for free, which consisted of fuit, coffee, cereal, bagels, and sandwhiches you could heat up.

The pool was closed when we arrived, and closed when we left.

Overall, the property is perfect for a roadside stop going up or down 95. All the basics, done well.

• Liked — Location off of 95
  • Disliked — crowded in the morning, pushy breakfast attendant and lots of kids
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Gettysburg, Pa
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Stopped over for one night on our way home from a week long vacation. I always stay at Hampton's because they are clean, and this was no exception. The room was attractive and very, very clean. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast area was roomy and breakfast was nice. For dinner you can turn right out of the parking lot and scoot down to Cracker Barrell. JR shopping outlet is only 1/2 mile or so, if you want to do some discount shopping. Never disappointed with a Hampton!

Stayed October 2007
new york
Reviewed April 28, 2007

We stayed here for one night on our way to Myrtle Beach. The room was great, nice queen size beds, service was good - nothing to complain about! Compared to some of the other hotels in the area, this looked like a 5 star resort. Would definitely recommend if you need to stay in the area.

• Liked — It is right off I 95
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank jkdubuc
WILLIAMSTOWN NJ
Reviewed February 25, 2007

Wife and I drove 10 hours from disney back toward jersey ,we stopped at several places in north carolina only to find unlit hotels with a unsafe feeling so we got off at exit in selma off I 95 to check the howard johnson only to see the local police arresting someone . That changed our minds about staying there . We seen the sign for the hampton inn and stopped there to find a place to stay after our long drive ,they have a nice overhead entrance to the lobby so as you can unload your belongings to enter the hotel without being out the in the bad weather. I went to the front desk without any reservations to find they had a room available ,front desk was very friendly and helpful,check in was easy and fast and thats a plus when you been on the road all day .Now the hotel its self lobby very modern as well as the rooms , found the bed and pillows very comfortable and clean ,bathroom also very clean .they had a free breakfast in the morning that was just located off to the side in the lobby hotel staff was there to keep area clean which was a surprise, now for the price . I paid 89.00 dollars for the night with my aaa discount, i found that to be a bit pricey but when you are traving down the 95 corridor i would say this was well money spent just for the safety and piece of mind of getiing a good nights sleep .I would stay here again just for that reason .Thanx Hampton Inn .

• Liked — close to 95 and safety of hotel
  • Disliked — the price
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FUTURESNOWBIRDS
St. Peters, Missouri
Reviewed July 10, 2006

We went to the area for a week and stayed at the hotel. Our room had a horrible odor (like a damp carpet-moldy and mildewy) and feeling of dampness. The odor was so bad that it woke me up 2 to 3 times a night. I complained 3 times (including once at checkout) and nothing was done. I had to purchase lysol to spray in the room, but that didn't help. The water pressure for the shower was terrible. Don't expect to get a wake up call either. Out of the first 3 times I requested a wakeup call, I didn't get one two times. Their "hot breakfast" consisted of eggs, pancakes, etc in prepackaged plastic that you had to microwave. I guess that was ok. If you're interested in a good pool-there pool is small, but ok. I wasn't offered a new room or a reduced rate or a free rate based on their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I also fell over a thick mat they had in the way on my way to check out-not so much as a phone call to make sure I was ok. I had to febreeze our pillows that we took with us and suitcases, plus wash even the clean clothes because they all smelled horrible like the room. After I left, I complained to the online customer comment. After hearing nothing for over a week, we called them on the phone. First they told me they should have offered me a new room. Then the hotel manager called me and I was told I would probably get 2 nights free-still doesn't meet their guarantee. Next, they called me back and said I would only get one night free. I called guest services-now they'll give me 2 nights, but this still doesn't meet their guarantee. The staff is too busy making excuses and trying to turn the blame on me to do the right thing. I told guest services that I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and writing a review here (the first time I have ever done so). On the way home I stayed at a Fairfield and had the first good night sleep in a week. Since then I had to stay at a Hyatt in Chicago-no problem there either. After the way this whole thing has been handled, I don't plan to stay at a Hilton property if there's any other option.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank Kimberly L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selma
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Smithfield
Quality Inn
#2 of 6 in Selma
Sleep Inn & Suites Smithfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95

Been to Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95? Share your experiences!