“Not my kind of Hampton”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Selma
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Not my kind of Hampton”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The staff was great! However, they said they met their quota for the day and would not be able to accept the AARP or AAA card. The fitness center was horrible and if I didn't have my bands with me I wouldn't have had any workout. The shower in the room was not working well.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Jay P, General Manager at Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
I am sorry to hear about the numerous issues you encountered while staying with us. However, I am happy that you took to the time to make me aware of your concerns so that the proper corrective action could be implemented.

First, I would like to apologize for you not being able to utilize your AAA discount. We value our AAA guests/members and It was only after receiving that complaint from a few guests that we learned our we had our AAA availability incorrectly set up. This problem has since been corrected.

I am also happy to report we are in the process of updating our fitness center equipment and within the next couple weeks you will find a much better fitness center facility. The shower has also been reviewed per the maintenance staff and that specific room issue has also been resolved.

I understand you being unsatisfied with your stay and in the spirit of Hamptonality and our 100% Guarantee, I would like to refund your stay. Please call me at your convenience and I will be happy to take care of this for you.

Barbara Maye
General Manager - Hampton Inn Selma, NC
919-965-6151

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Gloucester, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Hampton Inn Hotels are quality hotels and worth the value. This Hampton Inn met the standard, great beds, quiet and had an excellent complimentary breakfast; this is something the other hotel chains need to emulate. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. So nice to know you can count on Hampton to be consistently clean and accommodating. I made reservations as I was driving, looking for a Hampton along I95. Reservationist (Kim) was extremely helpful looking for the best/easiest place for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Fredericksburg, United States
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have really come to enjoy staying at new Hampton Inns. The foyer is great and the free breakfast can't be beat. I usually stay while on business, but this trip was with the family for a reunion. The gents in the room next to us were very loud at 0200 and we could hear their phone ring at 0600 for their wake-up call. So we didn't sleep great. And the guests below us decided to smoke and it went up the bathroom vent into our room. So unfortunately we're more dissappointed with the quality of the guests in this hotel than the hotel itself. However the vents shouldn't connect and the rooms should be more sound-proof. We reported the smoke smell to the front desk and housekeeper and they were both very gracious, admitting that someone was smoking in the room below us. This is a non-smoking hotel, so I hope they enjoy their hefty room cleaning charge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Andrew S
Florida, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

All of the staff were freindly and handled our check in promptly. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable with everything we needed. The breakfast really helps avoid stopping somewhere else on our journey and is a great way to start our day. Parking was so convenient that leaving was easy and it was an easy on and off to our trip. I would definitely stay again. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Frederick Maryland, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Excellent and clean hotel with friendly staff all around. Very good breakfast included in the price of the room. Located where it is easy to get on I-95 or go into town to shop or eat. Price was very reasonable with AARP discount. I would recommend this hotel if you are visiting Johnston County NC or just passing through. Smithfield has a lot of good places to eat both local and chain. Also, a large name brands outlet mall is on the same service road just south of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have my preferences set in my Hilton account, I received 2 double beds with no refrigerator (the hotel should better specify on the website that refrigerators are not in ALL rooms). When I went to the front desk to ask to change rooms it became quiet the debate about how my room was booked (I didn't care I just wanted to switch). After they found a room, the lady printing my keys was very short with me and as I said "thank you" she never looked at me while handing me my keys, I am positive I inconvenienced her day by asking for a new room (the other lady there was nice). The walls are VERY thin. I stay in Hilton properties a couple weeks a month and this by far was the one that stands out where I could hear the people next to me just talking at a low volume. Finally, the pool was being sandblasted while we were there. The guests were not notified prior so we had a couple people who were parked by the pool and had plastic tarps put on their cars - do they really think a thin plastic tarp is going to protect from a sandblaster?!?! Management SHOULD HAVE put signs up to let all guests know they were going to be sandblasting. The same lady that gave me the unpleasant experience when switching rooms told my coworker that she had a poor attitude when she complained about the scratches and nicks on her new car from the sandblasting. Finally the fitness equipment is in need of maintenance to the point that it could cause someone to have an accident. The treadmill does not remain at a consistent pace, the elliptical does not work at all and the bike is missing various pieces.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Jay P, Manager at Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
On behalf of Jay Patel and Wintergreen Hospitality, thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the numerous inconveniences your encountered at our hotel, and want to assure you that we're not taking your feedback lightly.

I have since retrained our Front Desk team to double-check all Hilton profiles in the morning to make sure guests' preferences are being adhered to. Once you have your preferences set, there's no reason you should be placed in the wrong room type.

Secondly, I feel terrible for the bad project management on our part with regards to the work being done to our pool. No one should have to deal with unwanted items being put on their vehicles, and our management company is working with the pool company to take care of the guest who's car was scratched as a result of this work.

Lastly, our fitness equipment will be diagnosed withing the next week and we will have an action plan for repairing or replacing the machines. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.

Your stay with us was far from acceptable and I hope you give us another chance to make things right. If there's anything I can do to make your next stay beyond perfect, please contact me directly at 919-965-6151.

Barbara Maye
General Manager - Hampton Inn Selma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Selma
Country Inn and Suites by Carlson, Smithfield
Quality Inn
#2 of 6 in Selma
Sleep Inn & Suites Smithfield
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Smithfield-Selma I-95

Been to Hampton Inn Selma / Smithfield I-95? Share your experiences!