“Good Food, Good Atmosphere, Good Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Eddy

The Eddy
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Saxapahaw
Cuisines: American, Bar, International, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Good Food, Good Atmosphere, Good Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

An enjoyable, laid-back place for good food. They serve somewhat traditional dishes but with a twist. The locale is an old cotton mill which sits on the Haw River. They have an outside patio which overlooks the river. We were there on a Sunday afternoon and the place was only about a quarter full.
We started with two appetizers - both delicious. An artichoke cheese dip which was possibly or probably the best I have ever had. And a hummus dish which had 5 different types of hummus and mid-Eastern style spreads - truly yummy.
My wife and daughter had trout cakes - looked like crab cakes, but weren't. They liked them. I had meatloaf smothered with an almost barbecue sauce - delicious.
They have a variety of beers on tap. I had the Gaelic Ale. A British style ale that was first rate.

We will go back.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank DiveDog13

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Outstanding Food Down by the River”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Saxapahaw is a tiny town on the Haw River about 15 miles west of Chapel Hill/Carrboro. It isn't really close to anywhere, but the Eddy Pub makes it worth the trip.

My wife and I visited on a Saturday evening because as friend of mine was playing an acoustic set. The place is virtually impossible to find. If you'll stop at the General Store, which is hard to miss, they can give you directions and you can walk from there. I'm sure there's a sign somewhere, but we never found it and the lack of lighting in the area doesn't help.

There's also a lack of parking when something is going on at the Ballroom next door, as was the case last evening. We parked in the grass off the highway with some other cars. I asked at The Eddy if our car was alright there. They told me that if it was completely off the road it USUALLY wasn't a problem. We didn't have one.

I have no idea where the cars actually came from. We saw one other car on the dark, two-lane highway coming into town. A little spooky.

We had a twenty minute wait on a very busy evening at the delightful bar. They stock several excellent NC beers.

My wife ordered the meatloaf and I ordered trout cakes. Our plan was to eat half and swap. Neither of us was sure which we liked more, but both were excellent. The meatloaf wasn't like any I have ever eaten. In fact, had they brought it to me and asked what I was eating, I'm not sure I would have called it meatloaf, but I would have called it excellent. The trout cakes were a little more subtle, but also delicious, and they were pan-browned to perfection.

They have a great, creative chef with an adequate but not huge menu, and like most of this area, they focus on local food products. Dinner for two with a couple of premium beers and tip ran about $60.

Wish I had room for the sweet potato pie. The desserts looked amazing. By the way, Chris Wimberley's acoustic set was a blast.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank BeingSouthern
Bridgewater, New Jersey
“Wonderful Out of the Way Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great foo, good service and an amazing atmosphere mark this restaurant as something special. The burgers are terrific, All the food is organic. The wine and beer lists are incredible with many local craft beers. Super service. There are local bands that play there. An outside patio for autumn nights. Terrific place.

• Visited September 2013
Graham, North Carolina
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Ncie addition to 'downtown' Saxapahaw. Food is very good although a little pricey. Upscale pricing for what appears to be a 'hole in the wall'. outdoor patio overlooks the Haw River and is very crowded on weekends. Nice place when you are looking for something different.

Visited May 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Farm Fresh Food w/ a Cool Vibe...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Here's the 1,2,3s...
1. Stopped in for brunch at this cool second level old mill/warehouse turned bar/restaurant. No live music today, but that's clearly a focus of this place. Modernized-Rustic surroundings with an ourdoor patio that looks over the mill and river.

2. Food was totally farm fresh! Local eggs, locally made sausage, locally made bread, etc. All with a great country flavor and flair.

3. Cool cocktails on the menu and a good variety of all North Carolina beers on draft.

I'll definately return, especially for drinks and music next time. You should check it out!

• Visited August 2013