“OMG .....Do not miss this funky place with excellent food!”

Saxapahaw General Store
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Saxapahaw
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: A long established "hideaway"..actually located inside a general store, but offering gourmet American eclectic fare.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

By luck, the owner of the place we were staying in Burlington invited us to join them on a Friday night at this restaurant. It is a short trip from Burlington, but well wroth the drive. When we arrived the parking lot was packed, but we managed to find a place. It is still a working gas station that is built inside an old mill. First we checked out the music venue next door. They had a live band and we had a drink and enjoyed the music. We then went over to the general store for supper. They had a regular menu as well as at least 10 specials. You can pick out a bottle of wine ( or beer) and have it with your meal. When was the last time you had a good bottle of wine with your meal for $10? Great concept. I ordered the short ribs with mashed potatos and greens and my wife had the diver scallops with succotash. We got some glasses and sat down to enjoy our wine while we waited for our meal. The other couple ordered the salmon special and a calabresse sandwich. The staff was very friendly and attentive. All the meals were to die for. My short ribs were the best I have ever had and the gravy amazing. The greens (and I am not a big fan) were also excellent. My wife's meal had 3 large scallops cooked perfectly and the succotash was excellent. The salmon was cooked perfectly also. I would not hesitate to recommend this place and what a bargain. 4 excellent meals and a bottle of wine for less than $70. If you are in the area, do not miss eating here.

There are newer reviews for Saxapahaw General Store

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I needed to repost another review to be fair. I tried the General Store again after I gave it a so-so review and my last visit there the food was great! I got the BBQ sandwich this time and it was probably the best BBQ I've ever had, my kids got the pesto grilled cheese and a couple of side things and everything was super tasty.
I'm not sure what happened on the previous visit, but we all have off days, I'm glad they are now back on:)

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Simply great food. The Goat Burger is one of the best burgers you will ever have. Prices are on the high side but everything is organic and grass fed.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have now tried this "restaurant" three times, the first was great when I got some avocado turkey thing, then I tried the ruben, which had brown/grey meat and hardly any thing else and the second time was the famous goat burger, which was dry on a big dry bun with no sides at all.
I don't know..I so badly want to love this place, but they need to step up the quality a bit more, especially if they want $8 bucks for a sandwich.

4  Thank kristoferson
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This weekend we drove to Saxapahaw for an adventure. We had the pleasure of eating at the General Store. The food is locally grown and delicious. The atmosphere is welcoming...with folks from all walks of life. If you are looking for a relaxed place to eat food that is not genetically modified or injected with "non-food" substances, this is the place to go. What a treasure!