“Don B”
Review of Fairway Forest

Fairway Forest
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I received a week vacation gift from her aunt to Fairway Forest. We were amazed at all the beautiful water falls and great hiking trails. If you like getting out and exploring nature this is the place for you. Some of the trails are strenuous and steep but worth the effort. The condo was very comfortable and spacious, especially for just two people. We will definitely visit here again. It is hard to do all the activities you want to do in just one week. I recommend taking the bus tour to get a feel of the land. At $20 a person for a 5 hour trip you can't beat it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Don B
There are newer reviews for Fairway Forest

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I were pleasantly thrilled with our accommodations at the Fairway Forest timeshare in Sapphire. Balconies on two levels had us feeling like we were in a tree house. The master bedroom and bathroom is on the lower level. The jacuzzi tub is more like a small pool with a full window overlooking the woods. The unit is spacious, functional, clean and comfortable. Televisions are in the living room and both bedrooms - although they are old and only one was a small flat screen. The recreation area has tons of activities and the staff is very helpful - although it is not walking distance. Cashiers is nearby and has all the amenities you will need besides interesting shops and good restaurants. The leaves are just changing and the temperature has dropped. My husband has an inviting fire going by breakfast. We have had a fabulous visit and look forward to coming back next year.

Room Tip: Try to get an end unit away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Joan E
Reviewed August 25, 2012

After reading the negative reviews we were concerned about our visit. However, once we arrived we were very pleasantly surprised. The unit was clean, well funished, ample supplies and very comfortable. We played golf at the course, which for us Florida folks was a challenge but well enjoyed. Other than an easy check in and out we had no contact with the resort staff. Our only disappointment was that our unit was on a golf hole but we were unable to see the fairway due to the numerous trees between us and the fairway....just a small disappointment.
The resort provides many amenities but we choose to only use the golf...maybe next time we will try some of the water sports.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike M
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I visited this timeshare the week of July 22. We traded our timeshare for thsi one through RCI. We were leary due some of the reviews. Maybe it was the unit or the week, but we had a wonderful stay at Fairway Forest. The unit was clean, rugs were clean, supplies were ample, and there were flat screen tv's in the living room and guest bedroom areas. Downstairs, there was an enormous circular whirlpool tub. There was a washer/dryer in a closet size space downstairs. The only thing I wish they supplied was a wire whisk for mixing potatoes or pancakes. There was damage to the tabletop of the upper desk's table, but otherwise, things were fine. I was also concerned for my phone did not work at the check in place, but things were fine in the unit. We only had one question during our stay, which was promptly answered. Mid-week, someone did call to say they wanted to drop off our welcome gift, being timeshare owners, we knew what it meant. We did allow the visit. There was no hard sell, but information on what was available. Then, he was promptly off. The area was quiet. Our view was of the woods but that was fine too. There is no mid-week cleaning. We went to Highland a couple of days, went to Brevard and Cashiers a couple of days, visited Cherokee a day, and visited Asheville for a day. We did our own trip to the Biltmore so that we could tour the area afterwards. We saw most of the waterfalls mentioned. As for the community center, we just drove by it. When we didn't stay in to cook, we were off visiting the surrounding areas. All in all, we would return and would hope to have the same experience with the unit.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank PSS_10
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I came to fairway forest based on the recomadation of wydham vacation resorts . My wife and I are very disappointed in the service from the front office and maintenance over broken remotes plus a non working jacuzzi . The maintenance man said he would fix and doesn't . The next day my wife sees him and he told her he was looking for his boss to get his approval . No one contacted us to give us any updates . No one put any note under our door to keep us in the loop . We also called on each remote as they did not work . The unit had cobwebs and dirt here which was reported . I spoke woth John woods , the local Wyndham mgr and he refused to help or make calls to fairway forest . I got no help or anyone there showing ownership to fix this problem . I have never seen such uncaring or unhelpful people . They have no idea about pride in workmanship or helping a time share owner of wyndham . I don't recommend this facility unless you hire someone to check out the unit before you come . The place has no management team in there who wants to care for the people on vacation . We must add that we did not enjoy our stay and plan on not returning there unless it is brought under new management. It's very sad to see a nice area have uncaring folk in key positions running the facility. Very sad and such a waist.
Howard Lincoln.

Room Tip: My feeling is stay away until they clean the units and update the old tv sets With working remotes...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Susan L
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We are timeshare owners and have been coming here in summer and fall for about 10 years. We enjoy the wild beauty, vistas, waterfalls and recreational activities, which are many.While some of the negative reviews can be justified, this has been a wonderful place to stay. There has been a change in housekeeping since the bad review of cleanliness, and the past few years the condo has been very clean. Next, amenities... The resort communities are tucked off Highway 64 and its amenities are placed in one local, central location. But the facilities are nice, even when you have to drive a mile or so to the community center / pools / weight room / game room / miniature golf, which is all located in one place to be enjoyed. The resort had slipped a little four or five years ago, but since then the Board of Directors has made great strides in updating the condos and they're really very nice. When you see the vastness of the place, the number of condos and the housekeeping and groundskeeping there is to be done, it's a little mind boggling. Here are some of the things we like to do here: of course, take advantage of the onsite amenitites... there are trips arranged by the resort you can take like to Biltmore House or a trainride through the mountains, among others. Kids can "gem mine" at the rec center. There are classes in art and crafting offered at the community center. There are the indoor and outdoor pools (heated). There are two golf courses nearby, which my husband and brother-in-law enjoyed. You can rent canoes and kyaks at the onsite lake. In addition to amenities, there's plenty else to do. I always take a shopping trip to Highlands cute and quirky stores (about 14 miles west on Hwy 64). I like to tour the many local waterfalls. You can take a day trip and whitewater raft (or float) down the Nantahala. Over toward Sapphire is a "gem dig" sure to delight the kids, because every bucket contains lots of "gems," planted there to be sure, but the kids don't know that. And you'll have a treat if you're lucky enough to meet the old gentleman who owns the gem dig. Whatever you do, don't miss a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We drive east to Brevard and get on there, driving up through the national forest. Turn to the right on the Parkway and ride up to Mt. Pisgah for lunch in the dining room of the little hotel on top... Good food, beautiful views, great gift shop. Drive back down to Sylva and come back to Cashiers via Rt. 107 -- take your time -- it's lovely. While on the Parkway stop at all the overlooks as they are all different. Bring your camera -- One of my photos from an overlook has been published in a magazine. If instead you want to finish your day at a Casino, stay on the Parkway to the city of Cherokee... I'm not a gambler, so we don't go there, but I'm sure it's fun if you do gamble. Climb Whiteside Mountain -- a challenge for an old girl like me (I'm 68 but can still huff and puff up to the top). Drive back down the mountains on the GA side to the town of Dillard -- lots of antique shops and quirky fun shops there. Shop the touristy shops in Cashiers. Go to Signal Marina up on Highway 107 and rent a pontoon boat and take a leisurely ride around beautiful Lake Glenville... pack a lunch. Good restaurants all around, tucked here and there. Favorites: Carolina Smokehouse in Cashiers (get the ribs), Oak Street Terrace in Highlands (get the soup of the day and a sandwich for lunch while you shop). Osteria, a little drive east -- great Italian food. Sapphire Brewery, onsite, great for pizza and a beer. I could go on and on about things to do here... It's a great place to vacation... We could trade our timeshare, and someday we probably will trade for another location, but the family all loves to come here, so we come back every year for at least 10 years. Hope this gives an honest look for you to make a decision on coming to Fairway Forest or any of the other communities within this resort. ENJOY!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
24  Thank Patricia I
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have very little positive things to say about the resort unfortunately. The communication from the resort in non existent, and the "amenities" are NOT what they claim. First off, the only buildings on site, are the units you stay in. You have to figure out on you own, since they do not tell you, that you have to stop at a little building, 3 miles BEFORE you reach the resort, to check in and there is NO sign with the name Fairway Forest on it so that you know you are in the correct spot. On the front of the building it simply says timeshare sales, and real estate. How you are to know that this is the office for check in is beyond me, but we only found it after driving around the actual property for 15 minutes looking for any sign that would show us where to check in, and finally going into a restaurant and asking them where to go. We were given a packet by security, because the office is only open for check in from 4-8! We had booked a 2 bedroom unit, and we found 4 keys in our packet? Why? Because it is actually two, 1 bedroom lockout units, and we had access to both. Problem? YES! When you have young children, do you want them to be in a completely different unit, an entire flight of stairs, and a lockout door away while you're sleeping? No you don't. The units are also, completely uneven. By this I mean, the "upstairs" unit has the large living area with fireplace and kitchen, a deck, small bathroom with standard tub, and small bedroom. The "downstairs" unit has a very tiny living area, kitchenette, and large master suite with private deck, jacuzzi tub, and shower. This setup is beyond bizzare, and all I could think was how inconvenient this arrangement was, and if you only got one unit, you were being jipped. I have a feeling there are "real" 2 bedroom units, that are nicer, based on other reviews, and pictures, but we were not lucky enough to get one of those.
Now to the "amenities". As I said before, the only thing on site, are the units. They claim that they have fitness room, 3 pools, tennis courts, game room, etc, on site, BUT they are not. You have to, HAVE to get in your car and drive, on the highway, back up to the "town", 3 miles away, to use the community facility to have access the the amenites. You actually have to carry a little paper card with you, to show the staff here, to prove you are a resort guest, to get in to use the RESORT AMENITIES! I think this set up is so that multiple resorts in the area can share these amenities, but who wants to drive to go swimming, and get back in your car soaking wet? Or have to change in those nasty showers at the pool? Not me. AND, we did not learn any of this until we drove up to the office to ask, because again, no communication, and they don't tell you where anything is. EVERYTHING at this place is extremely inconvenient!
Finally, on our 5th day of our stay, we woke up to NO POWER. Nothing. We heard nothing from the great non-communicaters, and after 2 hours of waiting, we finally called the office, to make sure they knew we had no power (since we certainly hadn't heard from them) and were briskly told that they knew, and they were working on it. We were without any power, or air conditioning for between 6 and 7 hours with nary a word from the resort staff, no apologies, no, " is there anything we can do for you", nothing! I will never return to this resort, nor do I recommend it to anyone, unless you like going into things with no info, and have to go out of your way to use your unit fully, or use any of the amenities at all!
P.S. I forgot the part about the unit not being all that clean, (floors needed swept WAY better), bugs and spiders of all kinds inside the unit, and towels smelling musty and foul, and making us smell bad when we used them.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank Amanda W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sapphire
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
Foxhunt at Sapphire Valley
Brook Trout Inn
Brook Trout Inn
#1 of 2 in Sapphire

Been to Fairway Forest? Share your experiences!