“A real restaurant in Sanford, NC...Go figure!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Brick City Oyser Bar & Steakhouse
Cuisines: American
Description: Excellent new restaurant in Sanford NC. Great food, great service.
Description: Excellent new restaurant in Sanford NC. Great food, great service.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of visiting Brick City for the first time today. When we walked in, we were courteously greeted. There was a jazz band playing on the little stage between the main dining area and the bar. We had thought to sit at the bar, but wondered if there was a possibility of being seated and served where smoking was permitted.(?) Indeed, there was! YAY! Out on rustic patio, there were a few tables set with tablecloths, and a flat- screen TV. The gentleman who seated us turned out to be our waiter as well. What a gem! Grant was awesome! Very personable, friendly, and so prompt and attentive! (It really had to rather a pain to keep popping outside to see how we were doing...we ordered a lot.) While we looked over the menu, we noshed on fresh, hot hushpuppies with honey and herb butters, brought to the table as courtesy. We ordered oysters (½ price every Sunday.) We had a choice of Gulf or Chesapeake oysters. A CHOICE! They were served fresh, cold, and tasting of the sea- accompanied by drawn butter, horseradish, cocktail sauce, and fresh pico de gallo. My husband ordered the 16 oz prime rib as his entree, and I ordered the Mussels Diablo and some wings. The prime rib was tender as butter and soooo yummy. My mussels were clean and flavorful, and the thick sauce had a fine slow burn. The wings were fresh and crispy, again with a variety of sauces to choose from. The service couldn't have been better. A petite lady- Manager? Owner? Buzzed all around, chatting with guests, and was very friendly. The chef came out to see the guests, as well, when business died down a bit. We were VERY happy with our night out, and will definitely be back!! Hooray! A bit of civilization in Sanford!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife & I had the pleasure of eating at the Brick City Oyster Bar in Sanford, NC. It was one of the most pleasurable dining experiences we’ve had in months. For the main part of our dinner, we sat outside on the patio. We are smokers, and that was permitted outside without disdain. We were there on a Sunday afternoon, and the place was not crowded at all. Our server was the epitome of courtesy and attentiveness. We did not wait more than a couple of minutes for drink refills, and our food was served promptly. The tablecloth and napkins were real linens, and there were no spots on the utensils.
To start, we ordered a ½-peck of oysters on the half shell, which was one of the Sunday specials at ½ price. The oysters were served on a bed of ice in a tray, and were very clean—even the juice in the shell was “slurpable.” They were accompanied by a host of condiments, including salsa, drawn butter, pure grated horseradish, cocktail sauce, and an assortment of bottled hot sauces. Hushpuppies were served as any other restaurant would serve bread, w/ jalapeño and honey butters on the side; they were mucho delicious!
For entrees, I had the 1 lb. cut of prime rib, and my wife had Mussels Diablo and an order of wings. The prime rib was cooked to perfection for my taste—rare to mid-rare, tender and juicy, served au jus, and accompanied by Texas toast, a carrot and mushroom medley, a side salad with my choice of dressing (all their dressings are made in-house), and another side (I got more hushpuppies).
My wife’s order of Mussels Diablo was a gastronomic treat. The portion was large, more than 2 doz., and of good size. The Diablo sauce was thick and chunky—lots of flavor. I tried a couple, and they were delectable. She has somewhat unconventional cooking and presentation preferences for her wings, and accommodating her wishes was not a problem; she was quite satisfied with the results.
After dinner was over, we went inside to the bar for a nightcap. They sport a fully stocked bar, and our service was quick and proper. All the staff members were nice, inviting, and saw to our needs and desires. They have live entertainment, usually a jazz ensemble. As a former professional musician, I was critical of the band’s talent, but considering the demographic of Sanford, they were quite adequate, apparently had a following, and their music appeals to an older crowd, in which I can include myself and my wife.
Overall, this place comes with our highest recommendations on all counts. The food was outstanding, the service impeccable, and the inside atmosphere is not congested or crowded. When the weather begins to warm up again, I’m sure the patio will have its share of diners enjoying a tasty repast during a relaxing time out, as well. In the words of more famous critics, my wife and I give the Brick City Oyster Bar in Sanford, NC two thumbs up.

1  Thank bpd2013
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Good food, not many places you can get raw oysters shucked right in front of you. The only thing I had an issue with was the Tatoos and piercings of the wait staff. Just a little unsettling for the person shucking my oysters to have both arms full of less than first quality ink. Otherwise it is a great place

Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I LOVED their Shrimp and Grits! Absolutely delicious. We couldn't et it all so brought half home for dinner and it was just as good warmed up, which is rarely the case with leftovers! I highly recommend Brick City. Just wish they were open during the day more than just Sunday.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had bacon wrapped scallops and a lump crab meat BLT, It was really good. We wanted oysters but learned from the owner that to ensure the freshness of the oysters the do not stock on Sundays cause they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Sundays are 1/2 price oysters but if you want them get there early. They also shuck to order the oysters for their poorboy sanwiches and other oyster dishes. I am sure them running out of oysters is just a growing pain and will get better with time. We are going back Wednesday so we can try the oysters. They are also working on a day menu so they can start opening for lunch

2  Thank Rose_sink