“Worth a Discount Greens Fee”

Tobacco Road Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Sanford
More attraction details
Owner description: This course threads through a former sand quarry and has the feel of a maze.
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have played this course a few times when visiting family in Raleigh. Always seem to hit it on the hottest days!
The course is a real workout. Target golf like you'd see in Vegas or Scottsdale. Aim carefully, this is not a grip and rip layout. DO get some help with distances - whether a laser, book, or local player - you really need to select the right club. Mistakes are severely punished! Expect it to be a very long round of golf.
I have been able to get VERY discounted fees here every time using Play Today type websites...

3  Thank DLHirst

Reviewed August 2, 2012

awesome novelty course to be played and enjoyed multiple times. fun factor and scenery and brilliance of design just superb. Mike Stranz designs elsewhere will now be sought out. And the best thing--the bathrooms on the course are strategically placed "to ease discomfort" without having to seek relief "elsewhere"--lol

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is from my husband.
He loves the course, it is ALWAYS well maintained. Expensive.

The course was designed to place a premium on good shot-making and rewards well executed shots. Great balance between risk-reward holes and provides an atmosphere usually not found in this area.
The clubhouse provides a rustic-type charm. There is a pro-shop and small food service area.
Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I play the course about half a dozen times each year and it's always in great shape, but it's an insanely difficult course. However, if you must play golf in a hundred plus temps, this is a good one to play because it provides a lot of shade breaks. The sand canyons aren't any fun, so I highly recommend erring on the side of the woods instead of those deep bunkers. Husbands, this is a good course to take your wives if your wife doesn't mind being treated like a punk golfer. You might drive a hundred or more yards to get to her tee box from yours. I didn't mind. I also went barefoot and carried a spray bottle for squirting cool water my neck. Nobody kicked me off the course for that. And I broke a hundred. Not bad for a monthly golfer if I may say so myself, especially on a course that requries so many blind shots.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

This course will have you shaking your head at every tee box the first time you play it. It is not a course I would want to play all the time, but I do play here 3-4 times year for the fun the course offers. It has many blind shots and and you are frequently asking where to aim. Play the course a few times and see what fun it can be. Love it.