TripAdvisor
Saluda
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here for one night. I wish I could have stayed for two nights. I loved loved loved all the greenery outside the window and the birds/bird feeder. The noise of the fountain outside could be heard in the suite. it feels very secluded even tho it is just a block or two from the town's main street. Everything was in good working order. It was very quaint. I would not recommend more than 2 people in the suite. Kitchen area is small -- galley type -- but that is not a negative. Bathroom is very small but that was not a negative either. I have already recommended this location, and would stay again. Everything was very very clean, too.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank SRinSCarolina
Reviewed July 2, 2011

This property is not for everyone, but my husband and I love it! The quarters are a little tight in the kitchen area, but the appointments and surroundings more than make up for it. We loved being surrounded by their garden and bird sanctuary and spent some restful time in the sitting area and the garden just bird watching and reading. We visited some of our favorite local areas as well: Connemara, Pearson's Falls, Flat Rock, Hendersonville, and downtown Saluda.

Pictures on the website as well as those posted by another reviewer are spot on. They cannot express just how nice it is to be there, though.

Walter and Sherry are superb hosts: available without being intrusive. There's one great casual restaurant in town (the Purple Onion, closed on Tuesdays), but other than that we tended to go to nearby towns--15-20 minute trips or to prepare a light picnic meal in the suite.

We're returning in September and just can't wait.

Room tip: There's only the one wonderful suite.
Date of stay: September 2010
4  Thank low-keytravels
Reviewed June 8, 2009

You couldn't ask for a nicer couple than Walter and Sherry. They were very accomodating to my husband and I on our recent anniversary trip. The suite is absolutely beautiful, especially the fresh flowers placed in the room. They are grown by Walter and Sherry.

Breakfast was delicious. The gardens surrounding the inn are also very pretty. We were just a short walk from the town of Saluda.

Another thing that makes this place great is it is reasonabley priced.

We will not hesitate to return...hopefully in the near future.

Date of stay: June 2009
1  Thank breezee67
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We enjoyed our visit to the Charles Street Garden Suite. The suite is imaculate and located in the lower level of the home of Sherry & Walter Hoover. It is very private and secluded. The home is surrounded by an amazing garden – it would be nice to see in full bloom.

The full breakfasts were good is served in the suite (French toast one day / poached eggs the other day). If there was one thing that I did not like about this arrangement was the opportunity to chat over breakfast and learn more about the area.

It was nice to walk downtown for dinner on Saturday evening. We dined at the Purple Onion which was very nice. I liked it that they had a live bluegrass band starting at 8:00.

Date of stay: March 2009
1  Thank labrat2005
Reviewed February 3, 2008

Our hosts, Walter & Sherry Hoover, made our brief stay at Charles Street Garden Suite just perfect. The photographs in their website give you a sense of the natural beauty which surrounds the house. The privacy of the suite simply enhanced our experience. We felt as though we were staying in an enchanted woodland! The suite itself is very large and would be comfortable for long stays. There are good reading lamps on either side of the bed, which is fitted out with charming linens. Comfortable furniture and a wide window seat for viewing the 200+ year-old chestnut oak made the sitting area very pleasant. The Hoovers also include local guides ( 2 of which Walter wrote) and histories of this summer resort area. Saluda provided a cool summer retreat for Southerners for over 100 years.

There is a covered area just outside the door (which has a screen door, too) with a swing. There are seats placed around the garden area which give differing views of the surroundings, as well as the many birds drawn to this natural habitat.

Date of stay: February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank loose51