“Warning! Don't stay at Saluda Mtn Lodge! Dishonest & Filthy!”

Saluda Mountain Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Saluda B&B and Inns
Cherokee, North Carolina
“Warning! Don't stay at Saluda Mtn Lodge! Dishonest & Filthy!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed at this hotel (not a lodge) on Feb 15, 2013. Chairs were filthy, carpet was dirty, very plain, run down, not enough pillows, and definitely not the quality stay you would expect for $98.79. The forecast was for snow the next night, so it was an easy decision to leave so we could get home before the weather caused us to be stuck there. Read the small print! Owner did not want to give us our $ back for 2nd night. When I explained we were so disappointed with the quality of the room, they agreed to only charge us for the night we stayed. Two months after we stayed (April 4), the Lodge took $197.58 from my checking account. I called the Lodge twice and was told both times that it would be reversed, but it never was. I would strongly NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sherri B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Boone, North Carolina
Reviewed September 1, 2013

On motorcycle, holiday weekend in the worst (awesome) thunderstorm. Hendersonville called this lodge for us and they had a room! We backed tracked a bit and when we pulled in they were ready and waiting with towels for us and the bike! Made covered parking available too. Great place,great view with fire pit w/smores. Hospitality at it's best.

1 Thank wingrider5957
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our family stayed here a few days while visiting from CT. Wayne was so kind, he waited up for us till midnight to ckeck in since we were traveling from Raleigh. He was gracious at every request and I had and I had a few because of the lack of room-standard amenities (iron, ironing board). Wendy was a dear and gave us useful info about the area. The only negative thing I have to express, for those planning on staying there, is that while they boast wifi in each room, truthfully there is not any worthwhile wifi because it is so slow its basically nonfunctional. They offered me the visitors lounge (because it is closer to the router) to sit and work at but that was the day of check out and after I had already found a local library that gave me wifi. Lovely hosts and lovely place, you'll feel safe and enjoy a beautiful, unique view from the gathering area.

Room Tip: Pick the room closest to the office for good wifi service. There is no fitness center, above was se...
1 Thank Crandidee
NC
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Saluda Mountain Lodge is located just outside the quaint town of Saluda. It sits up on ridge with beautiful views of the Green River Gorge. In the evening, weather permitting, they light a fire and you can sit outside and enjoy the views. A few more chairs would be nice too. No one wants to give up their chair! Other reviewers boast of smores but I never saw any.

The lodge itself it an older hotel that has been updated with a country theme - pine paneling in the rooms, quilts on the beds (however, I wonder how they handle washing those and how frequently). The headboard on our bed was not fastened and every time you got out of bed or rolled over the headboard beat the wall. For all the updating, you could not do anything about the thickeness of the walls. We could hear our neighbors coughing and of course, their tv when they turned it on. All rooms open to the outside parking lot where you park your car in front. The negative was there were some others staying that looked like that they were long term residents. They had fold up chairs and a table set up outside their room. They got up at 6:00 in the morning and went outside to sit, talk and smoke. They laughed and talked loud. They did the same at night. It was hard to sleep. There room was approximately four doors down from ours. Our room was a standard room which had a tv, coffee maker and blow dryer. There was not a microwave or refrigerator.

Their website states a standard room is $99 on weekends (does state rates may change) and that they proudly offer AAA discounts. Forget it! There is no AAA discount! I was quoted a price before I told them I had AAA. After I was told the price, I stated I had AAA and was told that was the AAA price - which was $10 more than the price quoted on the website. Hmmm. Thought discount meant price decrease, not increase.

Anyway, the room was nice and we did enjoy our stay. The room was very clean and there were plenty of towels. We were missing a wash cloth, but plenty of towels. We would stay again; however, we were disappointed in not being given the AAA discount (although it would of only been about 10%, it was the principle).

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Well first I must say this is no ordinary Motel, lodge, or hotel. Wayne and Wendy are the hosts of this lovely place and they go above and beyond to make your stay more than just a stay.

I wanted to take my family on an affordable getaway for a weekend and a friend told me about the Saluda Mountain Lodge. Knowing the weather was not going to be that great this past weekend I bought a game from target so that if we were confined to our rooms We would have something fun to do with the family (Telestrations is an awesome game by the way). The weather was bad but the coziness of this place really made us feel like we were at home away from home. Because of the weather we pretty much stayed at the lodge the whole time and it was quite relaxing, sometimes to do nothing is what we need to recharge.

The rooms are quite roomy and very nicely decorated. I read a review before i went and they suggested to upgrade the room with the back door. I ditto that, even with bad weather, when it was not raining its still an amazing view and relaxing place to read a book or sit by the fire.

I will definitely be back. Maybe if the weather is nice then we will go whitewater rafting.

Room Tip: Definitely get the upgraded room with the back door to the back yard. Worth every penny.
3 Thank Master_Nelsen
Saint George, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our first time here and we both decided we have found our new favorite place to stay in Saluda. Great location with an amazing view of the mountains. Wayne and Wendy (owners) were so friendly and personable. Our room was very clean, cozy and we loved the decor. We will definately be back again and again and again!! Thanks Wayne and Wendy.

1 Thank TeresaandStephe... S
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We have stayed 2 times at the Saluda Mtn Lodge. Both times have been great. Wayne and Wendy are wonderful hosts and even had s'mores at night over the fire pit. Our kids - 14 and 11 - also enjoyed staying here. Lastly, the view was amazing from our back door!! We will return.

Room Tip: opt for the rooms with a back door - well worth the x-tra $10
3 Thank Sus38
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saluda
Mountain Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Columbus
Orchard Inn
Orchard Inn
#1 of 7 in Saluda

Been to Saluda Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!