“Amazing surprise”

Ranked #2 of 7 Saluda B&B and Inns
Aiken, South Carolina
“Amazing surprise”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stunning view! Very nice, clean rooms. Super nice family owned lodge, reminds me of the feel you get in the national parks out west. Stumbled on to it when in town for a horse show. Will be my first choice from now on!

Room Tip: All would be good
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Kathy574

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Indian Land, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a great time celebrating our anniversary. View in both directions, especially out back, was awesome. Mist rising from the Green River Gorge looked like cotton candy. So Peaceful!! Wayne and Wendy, the owners, are the nicest people. They made sure that all our needs, even one that was totally out of the ordinary, were taken care of. Our room was very comfortable and spotless. And, this is important, very reasonably priced for the spectacular view and the friendliness. We will visit again.

Mike & Cathy Morrison

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mike M
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This Lodge has got the perfect location, which is unsurpassed in view and solitude. Our 15 member group has been coming here every summer since 2009. We have watched over the past three years running as Wendy and Wayne have continuously improved the amenities and rooms at this beautiful location. From the smallest details like chocolates for guests to the tastefully and individually decorated rooms the Saluda Mountain Lodge has got it all. The back terrace overlooks 100's of acres of pristine forest in the Smokey Mountains where in the morning, the mist creeps up the valleys and after dark you can enjoy a fire in the water feature and gaze off into the wilderness and sky.

Of particular importance to my wife and me is the fact that in their most recent inspection they received a 100! (You won't see that too often in the cookie cutter motels along the Interstate system.) We will be back in 2013 for sure!
MEV, Pensacola, Florida (July 2012)

Room Tip: There are walking trails below this ridge-top property and close proximity to all kinds of Green Riv...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank PiperV
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I'm glad we found this place! The motel was apparently built in the 70's and completely remodeled several years ago. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable, and included refridgerator and microwave. Set on top of a hill, the views into the valley below were amazing. It was quite relaxing watching the sun set, and later, stargazing, from the Adirondack chairs in the motel's "backyard."

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lmb3
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I was referred to this mountain lodge by another hotel manager! If you want to avoid the big box hotel - and experience a place that is local, clean, friendly and reasonable then this is the place for you. Each room has a back door that opens up to a beautiful mountain view, where the owners and operators, Wendy and Wayne Auman and family, invite guests to sit around a fire pit in comfortable chairs to enjoy the view and meet fellow travelers. It is in a convenient location off the interstate, but situated in a secluded spot, away from the hustle and bustle of most interstate exits. The rooms were cozy, simple, clean and quiet and the hosts were wonderful!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Brenda R
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed April 15, 2012

I booked this for a large group. In fact, we used the entire motel! Wendy and Wayne helped us in every way possible, making it the best place for us to socialize and have as a base for our weekend wildflower outings. What a view from the back..and the evening fire pit added to our evenings!

There are no frills here; you will just get a clean, pleasant place to stay and great people to ask about the area. It is close to so many possible hikes and outings in the area. Vacationers who like nature will appreciate this motel.

The owners worked with our group for almost a year in planning, and they helped us discover hikes and place to visit that we would not have found without hours on the internet. Thanks, guys!

Room Tip: Pay a few dollars extra for a room that has a back door, too, to avail yourself of easy access to th...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Lynda W
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stopped at the Saluda Mountain Lodge, or, THE Lodge as the locals call it, because I was driving for an extended period and just couldn't make it home that night I was so tired. The owners were gracious and offered me their Deluxe King room at a discount (I didn't even ask for one.) I was in for a delightful surprise! The Deluxe room was not what I expected: beautiful flowers, Dove chocolates, tastefully elegant decor, posh bedding and perfectly tidy. What was once probably a run-of-the-mill Interstate motel has been transformed into a warm, cozy, exceptionally clean Lodge, right on top of a mountain overlooking a beautiful mini-canyon. When I awoke (after the best night's sleep in a long time), I was treated to the most amazing view! Soft music played while I took in the awesome sights over a cup of joe, and I nearly forgot that I was running late for an appointment back home. The owners were so nice and hospitable. I'll be back this spring for a longer stay. Best surprise in years! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Spend the $ 10.00 extra for the deluxe room. They have a backdoor directly to the mountain view cou...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank W D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saluda
CedarWood Inn
#6 of 11 in Hendersonville
Orchard Inn
Orchard Inn
#1 of 7 in Saluda

Been to Saluda Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!