“Nice and clean just missing a little character within the rooms”

Settlers House York
Ranked #7 of 16 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 1 night with family, we were located in the newer section which has very large rooms, high ceilings and new furnishings. The manager was very accomodating and really lovely (especially for our rather late arrival) My only critisim about the hotel is in the rooms themselves, I think they are a little clinical and lack the character that is so prominent throughout York so maybe a few pictures on the walls would be nice, and the showers were not very hot which was a little frustrating on a cold night. Appart from that I thought it was good value for money and I would be happy to stay again for longer next time.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Auzzy87

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We recently spent two nights in an upstairs room. We were disappointed. The four poster bed was very uncomfortable. It was the only piece of furniture in the room that you could sit on and watch the TV so I guess the mattress had seen plenty of use. The room was so small it made the 4 poster bed an anachronism! There was no microwave in the room - the tea and coffee making facilities were very basic: two cups and two saucers with a small basket of sachets (UHT milk) on the top of the small fridge.
The bathroom was clean.
The hotel was closed - we were told beforehand that it would be - but I did not think to ask for a contact number in case we had any problems. I advise anyone to make sure that they get a contact number if they are planning to stay in the off season. We did not see a soul for the two days we were there - the place was empty. Why then were we put into a room so close to the railway line?
I have learned my lesson: always ask the right questions.

Room Tip: Avoid balcony rooms next to the railway line.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Spent 2 nights here. Really welcoming place and the staff were lovely and eager to please. The main building is nearly 200 years old its awesome! The food was exceptional, I had the Barramundi en Papolitte( not entirely sure how you spell it!) which, as the very polite chef explained to me, means "in parchment". My girlfriend had the Pork Chops and she loved it too. Both very tasty dishes, reasonably priced.

The rooms are in a recent extension to the hotel and are very modern and cosy. Tv with quite a few channels, aircon, fridge.
Brilliant stay and York is lovely.
Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dan v
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Was a great hotel, walking distance to local shops and pubs. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room didnt have TV as listed but staff quickly fixed this once informed of problem. Enjoyed sitting out on the balcony of the first floor room, enjoying the afternoon sun on a June saturday. Bed nice and comfy, enjoyed being able to stretch out in the bath and room was clean. Only stayed one night as visited York so daughter and her boyfriend could go skydiving. Will visit again.

Room Tip: Had two first floor rooms which were clean and tidy.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Another couple and us stayed here for 1 night. We were given a newly renovated room (ours was upstairs and the other couple had a downstairs one, both facing the pool). Room was basic but new, clean and tidy. It had a double bed, 2 chairs, a flat screen TV, small table and the bathroom had a spa tub which you step into for shower (not all rooms as some have shower cubicles instead). Amenities-wise, were given 2 bars of soap and some towels. There was no tissue paper, shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, iron, alarm clock, etc....As I said, it was pretty basic but ok for a night. I would be back but I will probably bring a hair dryer with me.

The lady working the reception also worked the bar that day she was so friendly and nice and helpful. Kudos to her to holding it all together.

The next morning we had breakfast there and it was ok. We ordered 2 big breakfasts ($18.50), another eggs florentine ($17.50) and bacon and eggs on toast ($14.50). It took a bit longer than usual to arrive and the eggs for the big breakfast came out poached instead of fried. But it was ok.

I would try to have dinner here if I come back here in future, as I love the old style dining room (plush velvet carpet.seats), etc....brings you back to that stylish era when people dressed up for dinners. The steak and garlic prawn I saw someone eating smelled so nice!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank E K
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Beautiful clean rooms, excellant spa bath. My husband could stretch out so comfortably in it. He must have been in the bath for close to an hour. He rarely has baths let alone an hour.The bed was so comfortable. We have a very expensive bed at home but theirs was much more comfortable. Husband said he slept like a "hibernating bear". I think it was the lovely peaceful atmosphere of York (location of Settlers House) and the very comfortable bed. The decor and atmosphere in the bar area is fabulous roaring fire, decor of 1800s. Couples sipping wine soft lights it was like stepping back in time or like visiting one of the wonderful little pubs in the rural areas of Ireland. The dining room decor is also really lovely very much like stepping back in time and open fireplace aslo. Very cosy place on a cold evening, relaxing and enjoyable little weekend away. We loved it. Meals reasonably priced, good portions, nice tasting. The manager very pleasant and his staff all couldnt do enough for us. I heard it has had new management this last 6 months or so. Large flat screen T.V. with excellant reception.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AmandaGraemeB
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife & i spent a night in York 2 weeks ago we stayed at the Swann Lodge which was excellent.However we decided to have dinner at the SETTLERS both our meals were first class & could not be faulted & we complimented the Chef.However when my wife went to pay the bill there was a glass bowl on the counterfilled with white peppermints [or so we thought] but when she put them into her mouth they turned out to be white stones!!!!!!! my wife commentated on this & the receptionist said she had done the same thing.The next morning at breakfast we were talking to other guests in the Swann & another lady had also thought they were peppermints too.My wife has chipped a bottom tooth & goes to the dentist tomorrow to have it fixed.I believe Management should remove this jar of white stones as it is dangerous.Keith Howells Kalamunda Perth

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple