We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in York
Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in York
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Well, where do I begin? Let’s start at the beginning, shall we?

After checking out the Castle Hotel on the net,(but missed tripadvisor) I decided that the place looked good with reasonable prices. It had a pool and half the motel rooms have a nice balcony overlooking the pool area and the bar area was nice and rustic. That is were the compliments end.

Already knowing that check in was 12/lunch time; we got into York early (9am). I went to reception to make sure of our booking with the desk manager who had shoulder length, grey/blonde hair. Well!! After first saying that I realised I was early and just checking on our booking I was promptly told that “there is no way we can book in NOW because we’ve just had a busy night!” “Ummmm, that’s ok,” I said, “I was just checking on our booking.”

That was my first brush with the hotel manager/bar maid.

After we came back at 12 and booked in, we were told of the hotel rules and amenities at machine gun speed, which even for an Aussie was hard to comprehend but we did get to our room ok. It was a bit grotty, but it had a nice view over the pool. TV was a dinosaur but hey! Beggars can`t be choses.

Well, after settling in we decided to have a drink at the bar. Standing there for about 5mins while the manager/waitress and another waitress were busying themselves with stacking the ice chests with stubbies and cans and serving the obvious York locals, (all 3 or 4 of them) I was finally served. Thank god for small mercies. Heaven help the poor patron if it was busy.

Fast forward to the next morning. Seeing as continental breakfast was included in the room rates, we went down to the restaurant. We were not sure what the go was so I got the family seated at a table with dirty plates still on it which we removed and put on the bar. There was a waitress with short, dyed, black/blonde hair, busying herself like Manuel from Faulty Towers serving a HUGE crowd of about 5 people who went past me about 4 times without acknowledgement (I was actually standing in the doorway at this stage). I had to virtually stand in her way and ask what the go was with the continental breakfast for hotel guests. Well!! You would of thought I’d just asked her to provide a 10 course meal for 100 people with her hands tied behind her back chanting the words to Highway to Hell backwards!

This is what she said, “Can’t you see I’m BUSY serving other guests!!!!!!! The cereal’s over there! There’s the bread!!! There’s the toaster, (Yes, you have to toast your on bread) and the coffee and juice is over there, OK!?!”

Well excuse me for living!! She came out with that spray even before I had the chance to ask for a menu, luckily for me I didn’t. Who knows what she might have done to my body parts if I’d had the temerity to utter a shocking request like that.

Well after sitting down at our table(outside), and while I was chewing on a bit of white bread, (un-toasted) I decided that I was not going to put up with that rudeness. I went back in to the restaurant and let her know, in no uncertain terms of my disgust at her attitude towards me. Her reply was to yell out to two women customers that I was attacking her because she was a woman. OMG!!! The Julia Gillard Response!!!

With my jaw scraping along the ground, I made my way back to the family. My wife, seeing as my blood pressure tablets were not working, decided we should all leave. Before we left, I asked a couple of country guys on the next table if they’d been there before. They said they hadn’t and that they would not be coming back. They said that the waitress in question was at the karaoke bar, singing and carrying on the night before until 12-1am. Maybe the big night out and not enough sleep made her a bit grumpy.

On checkout, I made my complaints known to a different desk manager that I hadn’t met before. This lady had short, dark hair. I was expecting a knock-down, drag-out fight to the death. However, she was very helpful and pleasant which was surprising considering the service we’d received up to this point. She apologized for the actions of others and wished me a good day. Right at this point, the rude restaurant waitress appeared and delivered something from the restaurant to the front desk. I pointed to her, and told the desk manager that this was waitress involved. The waitress didn’t acknowledge me again and just walked out (BTW, this was in front of three new guests).

In general, I think York is a strange place with strange locals. After a few days back home and thinking of all the local shop-keepers we had contact with there is a very strange vibe there.

I wont be going back………Maybe I`ll write a review on the town itself one day……..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank BigBoy S

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Don't waste yout time with this place. Unfriendly staff who can't be bothered doing thier job and they dont appear to like tourists. Food was well below average and I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank maz82albert
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Hotel was lovely. Rooms quaint with comfortable beds and pillows. Staff was unusual; reception couldn't provide a map, restaurant waitress put us under a lot of pressure to order before 7:30pm and housekeeper didn't seem keen to do any work at all (had to request bin emptying, more tea and more milk - didn't dare ask for the beds to be made!).

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank KombiLover
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We did not stay here but ate here on the busy Saturday of the York Gourmet Food and Wine Festival. Food was reasonabaly priced and interesting - see my photos of their Twistie prawns and the Seafood platter

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2012

'How To Wreck a Heritage Property in the 21st Century'. Scruffy, depressing, shabby. The supposed 'dining room' is particularly awful. Shame on you, proprietors!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Poochypoo
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We had dinner here and where well looked after with delicious food. With Friendly staff, this always helps.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The rooms were tired and dirty, the towels threadbare, the bath mouldy and there was no remote to the TV which had very bad reception.However what astounded us the next morning was when tried the door to the dining area for our breakfast (included in our tariff ) it was locked as was every other door into the hotel, Several irate guests were outside waiting to pay their account or to have breakfast. When we rang the hotel number it went to answering machine so we all had to go over the road to a cafe for breakfast. When reception opened at 9am there was no apology for the lack of service which was explained as "just a little lack of communication with staff!" and "breakfast is complimentary anyway!" I have never encountered such unprofessional staff with so little regard for their guests.They even tried to charge us more than the quoted price for our room! Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family