“Reasonable”
Review of Tom Price Motel

Tom Price Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tom Price
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was surprised reading a few of the reviews – if you are in the middle of nowhere, you can’t expect 5 star hotels and service. I think some of these people are just fussy. I was not disappointed by what the ,motel offered and while I’m not fussy, I do have standards. I was in Tom Price for work and stayed one night at the Tom Price Motel. The receptionist was friendly and our check in was fast and efficient. The rooms were average but clean. However, I did find a couple of stray hairs on the room floor - maybe the cleaners were just having a bad day because everything else appeared to be clean. The bed covers could do with an update but since they were clean, I was not fussed. There was a TV, fridge and a desk in the room. The bathroom was large enough and fresh towels were provided. I ate at the restaurant and found the food to be expensive, but good. The bar was also good but I had an early night. Had breakfast the next day and also packed a crib lunch. Check out was also fast and efficient. All in all, if I was in Tom Price again, I would have no qualms about staying at Tom Price Motel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Tom Price Motel

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Well I was certainly nervous to stay at this Motel after reading some of the reviews... my experience was somewhat different from those previous.

When I arrived it had just rained and the receptionist was very quick to give me a fresh towel. The room was obviously newly refurbished and was very comfortable and impeccably clean (and no creepy crawlies to be seen) :). It had a great working space also. My only slight criticism is that the fridge was very noisy.

The service in the restaurant was friendly and efficent.

There was a nice 'feel' to the place - staff remembered me and other visitors and there was always a smile and a hello.

I would be more than happy to stay in this Motel in this beautiful spot on future visits.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Helen P
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Well its in Tom Price - in the middle of boom time. Its going to be expensive and full of workers. Reception was fast and friendly, rooms were clean. Meals - just dont order the fish ( I though as the fish truck was in town and there was a Fish of the Day I would get something ok, but didnt - cruel what some people do to a fillet). Its basic food, eat it if your hungry.

Room Tip: Tourist should avoid working towns, they just cant cater for the amblers and the fussy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place used to be a country pub. Now it is full of fluoro shirts & loud voices. It must have changed management some months ago, completely different crew since I was last there. The rooms are old style country motel, some must have been renovated, I could still smell the paint in my room, the bathroom had been re-tiled, but the windows were still dirty!

Be sure to ask for a room in the motel, not one of the donghas (portable buildings) they are the same price & way too small.

The restaurant is in what would have been the "lounge" bar. The food is adequate (to be kind) & expensive for what it is. Drinks are at mining town prices & service is poor. If you HAVE to go to Tom Price, this is the place to stay, I will try to find a way not to stay in the future. The mining boom has not been kind to WA!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Seriously this is a small old mining town to expect anything other than basic would be fooloish. It's old and rundown but with the lack of other options what can you do, in this day and age of the mining boom expect to pay top dollar for an old rundown donga. these rooms are mostly rented out to mining company's so they can charge what they like.
If you expect to stay in the Hilton dont come to Tom Price or the pilbara at all for that matter!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Well I stayed in the dongas out the back and its your typical donga style accommodation. Rooms are very basic, TV, fridge but small with a fairly ordinary bed. Mind you its what you'd expect, nothing more. Bottle shop is well stocked (well it is a mining town), the bar has no soul and the food is average. So, that an average rating overall...no real surprise then!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is the second time I have stayed at this establishment, and I have been disappointed on both occasions. I have expressed this to people I am travelling with, who also feel the same.
The town folk also feel the same about this establishment.

On attending I requested to upgrade my room from a single to a queen, and only received a double.
We then attended the bar for lunch at 1.50pm to get left standing for over ten minutes. Once served, we proceeded to order our meals. This order was refused due to the restaurant service closing at 2pm.
I also attempted to sleep in the afternoon. I failed with this attempt due to the room next to mine having three children in it. On attending the receptionist office to request a room change or the staff to resolve the issue, i found the reception closed at 4pm in the afternoon. I then proceeded to the bar of the hotel to resolve the issue and found the staff were unable to attend to this due to bar service.
The next morning, I was awoken at 6am in the morning due to the children in the room next door. Eventually, after getting out of bed, i attended the reception to discuss the sleep issue and they just smiled and said they were sorry, and that I should have reported it the day before? Go figure?
After lodging this complaint, i requested that i was not charged anything for the room, and she was going to enquire with a supervisor in regards to this. This was 9am.
I then attended the restaurant for breakfast to find out I had missed service by 2 minutes due to the complaint being lodged. I attended the reception again, only to be told that service stops at 9am, and there was nothing that could be done.
I then went back to my room to shower and change, as i had an appointment at 9.45am.
The shower was only a dribble, as it had no pressure due to the other rooms utilising the water pressure. This delayed me by about twenty minutes as i waited for the pressure to come back.
I eventually had a cold shower, and attended the reception to check out.
The same girl would not assist in a price adjustment of my room charge, and said I had to wait until she had spoken to the supervisor to adjust it, and could not check out until then.
As i had an appointment, I paid the charges and departed, and found from other people in the reception area that this was common amongst the guests.
I will be seeking legal action for a refund in regards to this, and will be utilising other guests statements for this process.
I also found the male staff that work here to be extremely arrogant and non-assistive. Whilst the females were very meek and just listened and said they could not offer any compromises to resolve the issue.
There is a high percentage of staff from India here, who also struggle to understand or speak English.

Room Tip: Avoid and try other places such as caravan park or lodge. I have not tried them. But, have heard the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Kurteos

Been to Tom Price Motel? Share your experiences!