“We loved this place!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salter Path
William and Garland Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Salter Path
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Just returned from 4 days at William and Garland. What a wonderful place and so pet friendly. The owners are wonderful people and keep the place immaculate. We love small out of the way places and this was the cleanest, friendliest and most enjoyable place we have found. This is the way the beach used to be. We can't wait to go back again. Thank you Peggy and William for making our stay so enjoyable and relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 53Debra

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have stayed at the William and Garland Motel several times over the past few years. It's very tough to find dog-friendly accommodations at the beach, much less at a reasonable price. So you tend to take what you can get.

What I find funny is that not many reviewers have mentioned what a throwback this place is. Inside these rooms, time stopped in 1968. Seriously. Walls are paneled all the way around, the original furniture remains, the floor is linoleum ... it's actually quite hilarious if you don't know what to expect once you arrive, lol! I wish I'd taken photos. If I can find them from our past visits, I'll add them.

This doesn't bother us, as when we go to the beach, we want a clean place with decent AC and enough room to spread out a bit. That's it. TV is not important. "Fancy-ness" in general is not important. So this place suits us just fine.

That said, here's the breakdown, cumulative over 5 or so stays in the past 4 years....

Pros: Low rates. Full kitchen, including large fridge and a place to sit down and eat. Fast, easy access to beach. Within easy walking distance of OK food if you don't feel like cooking. Spacious rooms. Bonus points for actually washing the bedspreads daily -- we saw them with our own eyes being removed from rooms.

Cons: My primary beef is with the water at the W&G. Specifically, the pipes. The pipes are so old and corroded that the water -- sink, shower, whatever -- has the most awful, metallic smell. I haaaaaaaaaate pointing this out, because we really kinda like this place and the owners are lovely, but it's true. :( This is not unusual at older beachfront hotels/motels, but it's noticeably bad here. I would want to know if I booked this place for a week. It's bad enough that I will no longer shower there (which for us is not an issue, since we always come down when our family gets a house nearby and I can shower there). I even brush my teeth with bottled water and use hand sanitizer instead of washing my hands in the room. :( Maybe this doesn't bother some people, but I tried to bear it for years and finally gave up.

It also may bother you that dogs bark here and there. Doesn't bother me much since we bring our dog along, but our neighbor left her dog out all night and he yowled a bit now and then. YMMV.

Lastly, I did notice on our most recent trip that our room could have used a more thorough dusting. This is not consistent with our previous experiences at W&G so I have to believe it was an oversight.

Were it not for the water / pipes issue, I could and would give W&G 5 stars across the board.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LiteWallet
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

The owner is a friendly and accommodating lady. The room I was in (101 I believe. it was the first one on the right as you drive in) was basic. Bed, Window unit AC, mini fridge, small tv, bathroom with shower. Which is all I needed, someone people I saw complained about the size of the tv. If you're going to watch tv on your vacation more than going out and making memories, I think you're doing it wrong but that's just my opinion. The rooms were cleaned daily. The window unit AC worked fine, which I was thankful for in the July heat (which you don't really feel when you are at the beach and the breeze is contantly blowing). I would have liked to have had a carpet of some kind though. As I droug sand in from the beach trips via the path this motel has. They have a water spigot, but sand finds a way some how. Parking is a little cramped, and the driveway is steep so if you have a car close to the ground be warned. Overall I believe I would stay again so long as the rates don't change drastically.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank AwesomeAdrian108
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed with my two boys (15 & 14) for four days and it was better than advertised. We stayed in a 2 bedroom mobile home that had everything we needed. It truly is a 2 minute walk to the beach and has outdoor showers,clothes lines, and the t.v. is small but has a great picture. The property is quiet & friendly.
Try the Big Oak Drive In next door, has the best shrimp burgers!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank futbolchic
Reviewed August 3, 2011

This is not a fancy place. But it is a where you can take you family and be certain there will be a nice, clean room waiting for you with clean bathroom, usable kitchen and very, very friendly owners ready to help when needed.

If you are wealthy, look for a higher-end rental that will cost you at least twice more. But if you dont want to spend a fortune, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: the mobile home has two small bedrooms with
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank leckig
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We just got back from the Crystal Coast in Salter Path ,NC. The weather was awesome and the place we stayed was in a great location, nice friendly service,personable, clean and relaxing. It is perfect for familes and with pets. It is not fancy, but you have a full kitchen which is convenient. Clean towels are brought to you everyday and the beach is just down the path......2 minute stroll to a very clean beach! We went everyday!

There is a wonderful restaurant "Frost" within walking distance that is reasonable and very good.Wide variety of sea and "land" food. There is also a small grocery store down the road called "Beach Outfitters" within a reasonable driving distance.

"Molly's" at the Sheraton is a great place to go to eat also...it is an outside bar with casual dress" no shirt or shoes required....beers and burgers with a band at night on the pier!

Visit Fort Macon(free) and the Aquarium....drive to Beaufort....lots to see and do!

Peggy and William ,owners of William and Garland get a great big thumbs up!

We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank gmk47
Reviewed October 31, 2010

My husband and I have stayed here twice with just the two of us, and most recently with our teenage sons. We just love it. The kitchenette helps the budget by being able to cook your own meals, the private walk down to the beach is so nice, and we loved the courtyard atmosphere. My husband even grilled out hamburgers outside our door, and we felt like we were Lucy and Desi. In fact, we call it the LUCY AND DESI place when we talk about going there. No, it's not the poshest place to be, and you will not find some razzle dazzle appearance. However, we love going there, and it makes us happy to be there. Have a great time, and don't forget to go next door and get a shrimp burger. You will thank me for it.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
#3 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
Oak Grove Motel
Oak Grove Motel
#1 of 1 in Salter Path

Been to William and Garland Motel? Share your experiences!