“Hidden gem along the highway”

Port Of Call Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A casual dining restaurant with a panoramic view of beautiful Bogue Sound! Located in the HEART of Salter Path, NC. We offer a mouth-watering menu adorned with certified angus beef, fresh local seafood, traditional Salter Path dishes, and many Port of Call originals. We have all ABC Permits and an extensive beer and wine menu that is sure to please. While you're here, be sure to explore the rich heritage of the Salter Path people and become part of the evolution of this quaint fishing village.
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Hidden gem along the highway”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have eaten here many times and I would highly recommend a visit here. I have always had great experiences here. Everything from the service to my meal.
I have never felt the wait was unreasonable for a table or my food. As others have said, they have to cook your food when it is ordered and this may take a while when they are busy, but it is worth the wait.
I will definitely be eating there on my next visit to the Crystal Coast.

• Visited January 2013

Swansboro
“Justin Rocks!!!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

IGNORE the complaints about the chairs and the wait time for food, We have dined here numerous times and have tried to experience EVERYTHING on the menu. All the food is to die for, and yes, they have to cook it AFTER you order, so you have to wait! Chef Justin is truly gifted in the kitchen and the food is soooo worth the wait. From the minute you walk in, you are greeted with a friendly greeting and a smile, not the usual "teeny bopper" with an armfull of menus, asking how many there will be in your party. The true southern hospitality represents the area well and makes me proud to be from the south. If you are in a hurry, I would suggest McDonald's. If you want more comfortable seating, well, you can place a take-out order and eat on your own couch I guess. The wait staff is very personable, the food is fabulous and the atmosphere is cozy. If you were unhappy with your wait time, I would suggest that you go with someone you truly enjoy spending time with so the wait is not an issue. We always make this our "date night" spot and have never been disappointed!

• Visited February 2013
Swansboro, North Carolina
“Different Seafood Restaurant”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wonderful location on the water. Special 1/2 off second entree on Thursday night. Had their signature dish a crab cake stuffed inside a lobster tail with the fried lobster tail on top. Excellent. Wife was happy with her broiled mahi. Looking forward to returning.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Frankolino1313
The Southern USA
“Hidden gem - great spot for a quiet off-season dinner!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After checking the TripAdvisor reviews as we were driving by, we doubled back and pulled into Port of Call at 5:30 for dinner on a Saturday night in late September. There was almost no one inside. We'd never been in when it was Whidden's Landing, so I have nothing to compare it to. But the maritime decor is super cute and very appropriate for the location. And it's bigger inside than I would have guessed, with a large sheltered outdoor area too. Port of Call is a symbol of what beach restaurants CAN be if people try just a BIT to win people's business, rather than getting lazy (not updating decor or menu) and greedy (serving nasty frozen food).

First things first -- the owners *have* heard everyone's feedback and they now have cushions on the chairs (see photos), but the backs of the chairs are indeed oddly slanted. You won't be leaning back in your chair, lol! This could be purposeful to keep tables turning over quickly during busy season, though. If it is, then my hat's off to the management, because that's pretty smart. :) Anyway, it was not uncomfortable for us at all. YMMV.

The view and ambiance are lovely. Waitstaff very friendly and prompt. The complimentary house-made hushpuppies are small and round like donuts (see pic), which is fun. And my husband loved the savory biscuits.

He ordered mahi with grilled asparagus and potato wedges, plus a salad. I ordered a dinner-size Caesar salad (which is NOT huge and I'm sorry to say was not worth $10 -- I should have stuck with a side salad) and a grilled chicken breast and grilled aspargus, both a la carte. It'd be nice to see a few more non-seafood items on the menu, but I know we're at the beach, etc. Still, we both loved our food. I had VERY low expectations for my chicken, but it was moist and delicious, I wish I'd doubled up on it! The asparagus was also great and sooooo much better than steamed (blech). Our waitress kept my coffee cup full the whole time and was attentive but not overbearing.

We didn't have room or time for dessert, but we liked Port of Call so much that we bought my MIL a gift certificate so she could come down for dinner later in the week with her sister.

The *only* downsides were ... waitress brought out tartar sauce and cocktail sauce, two small cups each, before the food came. This should not happen. It's wasteful. We didn't need it and didn't want it, never touched it and certainly it went right into the trash. Diners should be asked if they want it and then provided with it gratis if they do. Likewise, my smallish salad came with 2 cups of Caesar dressing, which was overkill for the size of the salad. Serve with one and only provide a second upon request. (I realize this is very nitpicky, but those little things add up to cost savings!)Also, the dressings were very obviously bottled, which was disappointng even though I expected them to be. Bottled dressings have a distinctly gelatinous texture. It is NOT hard to make a kicka$$ blue cheese dressing from scratch, or a Caesar dressing or a vinagrette. That kind of attention to detail is what takes business from solidly good to great.

To anyone who moans about a wait during peak season, I have one thing to say; DUH! There's a finite number of decent restaurants in our NC beaches, and the good ones fill up FAST. No one twists your arm and tells you to wait 2 or 3 hours to eat. If you do, I'm sorry, you're foolish. Go eat *early*, especially if you have little ones, and realize that the world does not exist to make your life easy. Have reasonable expectations!

We have already recommended Port of Call to several friends and family, and we will return the next time we're in town. Good job, guys! :)

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LiteWallet
Bavington, Pennsylvania, United States
“Land or sea, don't matter to me!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

An almost annual beach trip included a stop at Whidden's Landing - the former name of this eatery - and it just wasn't the same the summer we came by and it wasn't there. When Port Of Call opened, we pulled in just out of habit and we're glad we did.
This year's return trip was different in that some of us had been seafooded out (can't happen to me) so we jumped around the menu a bit. The ribs were great, the steak was BIG and tasty and, well, everything else was great as usual. Everything was delicious! The chairs - as others have mentioned - were kinda weird but I usually eat standing up so anywhere I can park my can is ok. Not a deal-breaker. Good soup, fresh salad, coulda had more hush puppies but, again, not picky and I didn't have to cook it. Great seafood and a great view of the water. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited September 2012