“perfection”

Ranked #1 of 1 Salter Path B&B and Inns
Morganton, North Carolina
“perfection”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I went to the beach for our 6th anniversary. We stayed here and it was perfect. you couldn't ask for a better hotel or location. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We are already planning our next trip and plan on staying with them again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cstamey2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I took our grandson to the beach for the first time and stayed here for the first time. We loved it. It was my grandson's birthday and his first without his parents. You see, they both passed away in the fall of 2012. I wanted to show my grandson that staying with down to earth individuals, was much better than staying with the nose so far up in the air they need oxygen. It was like going to spend the weekend with my best friends, instead of, going to impress the Jones's. Our bed's were made every day and we had clean towels everyday. We socialized with the owners and met their awesome motel housekeeper. By the way, I'm sorry we did not leave a tip for you for the awesome job you did. We'll be back and we will make it up to you. If you want to pay out the a--- for a place to sleep and shower, go stay in a hightower. If you want to make friends and use that extra money to have fun on the beach and seeing what the area offers, then I suggest you stay with the great folks at Oak Grove Motel. My family loved it. The only thing I can say that needs improvement is, please invest in new matresses. I'm not as young as I used to be. I need that back support. Love you guys. We will be back soon!!!

Room Tip: Room # 10 is right in the breezeway and at the boardwalk to the beach. If you have kids, they have a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank thine0923
Lincolnton, North Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

If you are not a huge fan of the chain hotels and enjoy local flavor tied in with a simple experience, then the Oak Grove will do for you. My wife and I stopped in on a whim to see what the rates were (as well as availability) and found the quaint little hotel as well as the charm of the setting very enjoyable. No, there is not a pool, which could be a family deal breaker, but we came for the larger pool called the Atlantic located about 100 yards down a wooden trail preserved by President Roosevelt years ago. We were in room 11 which had kitchen features that suited us just fine. Would stay again without issue!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jeff K
Taylorsville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2013

As with most every smaller motel that I have found in this area, it is an older place and not all fancy with things like granite countertops and jacuzzi tubs but does have the price of all these things either. Just a clean, quiet little place and the staff was very nice and saw to out every need for eight days. I didn't find the dirt and other things talked about in some of the other reviews. I guess if I wanted to change something, I would like to have had a two room suite type room. To sum up my review... I have already made plans to return for another stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Fire15
Halifax, Virginia, United States
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have nothing but great things to say about this place. I have NEVER stayed anywhere and the staff treated you like family like this place. The price, room and staff are unbeatable! You are right at the beach and they provide you with everything you would need at an unbelievable price. The room was so clean and accommodating. I couldn’t have asked for more. I will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kimberly B
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I loved the Oak Grove Motel for its simplicity, economy, and quaint feeling. It is not ocean front but it is located just behind some private dune-front properties. The views are not fab but the old boardwalk (over the high dunes) provides a quick walk out to a fabulous beach. A big multistory development is relatively near on the beach but it was not intrusive to The Oak Grove's beach. The beach at Oak Grove is in front of heavily vegetated large sand dunes and is never close to being crowded. Its is breezy and not buggy at all. At 9:30 am on Saturday, I had the beach to myself. We came down for a day trip and found this place so we swam in the ocean for hours and enjoyed the sun with our hotel room and van very close at Oak Grove. The basic rooms were $89 per night while fancier places were $200 plus. Our room was retro (not fancy) beach style with a frig, stove, and kitchenette. It was clean and smelled fresh. The cold air conditioning was a gift but really you could enjoy a breeze outside the motel in your rocker. If you seek luxury, skip this place. (The beds aren't the best and the floor is sand-friendly vinyl.) If you seek the glorious NC beach at an economical price, then stay at the vintage Oak Grove with the old gnarled oak trees. It is safe, quiet, and a real find with the Mom & Pop owners on the premises. The Oak Grove Motel at Salter Path/Indian Beach is in the middle of North Carolina's Bogue Banks island. Eating and shopping can be had at a handful of Indian Beach places but your best bet for eating and shopping is Atlantic Beach that is 10 miles or so east or at Emerald Isle which is 10 miles or so west. Our family just wanted to ocean swim, rinse, sleep in the room, and repeat. The Old Grove gave us that. We will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms near the beach boardwalk and outdoor shower may be noisier due to foot traffic during the day.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank DeeDeeNC070
north carolina
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have never stayed at a place so dirty. Check-in was horrible. The owner's dogs where fighting and one drew blood from the other. It was horrible to see and hear those poor dogs. The rooms are dirty, and in much need of repair and updating or at the least a really good cleaning.
I stayed there when my local home was being worked on and would never recommend it to anyone.
I've added pictures that don't quite show how bad it was.

Room Tip: Find another place
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#5 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#1 of 3 in Emerald Isle
Oceanview Inn
Oceanview Inn
#3 of 3 in Emerald Isle

Been to Oak Grove Motel? Share your experiences!