“weekend with family” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Salisbury
HULL
“weekend with family”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was a very easy place to stay. It is right off the highway easy access to Salisbury right down the street and Catawba College. Our family were all able to reserve rooms near each other which made it very handy to travel as a group which can always be challenging with 6 or more people. The breakfast was nice with fresh bananas and a waffle station. There was a large enough lounge for breakfast to accommodate everyone.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ellijay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Staff very friendly and have knowledge of the area. Great value for room accommodations, but mattresses very hard. Unfortunately, the room was not handicap accessible even though we requested that at time of online reservation. Desk staff did find us a ground level floor room instead of a second floor room. Probably would return in the future.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We have come to this hotel for years, and we know the assistant manager very well. it's always had great service except for one lady but i told the assistant manager, and she was very helpful. love this hotel, and has always been great! It is kind of worn looking but understandable.

Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

I needed a simple nonsmoking room for the night. Check in was quick. The clerk didn't talk aside from saying here's two keys and sign this. The hallway carpet is stained, but they had just cleaned so it smelled pleasant. The room also smelled like air freshener, but i just put my things down and left. When i returned later i cut on the lights and realized i hadn't seen all the stains, and the room now had a dingy smell to it. The walls are scuffed up pretty good, but the floor looks horrible. The TV worked, and even though it was an older tube tv it was about 32in and did the job. The AC and the heat both worked as did the microwave and fridge and the shower was fine. The heat pushed out more of that smell, but it went away after a few minutes.The bed was firm but sleep-able, and the sheets looked clean. I didn't notice what looked like animal feces beside the night stand until later. I didn't get breakfast because i was concerned about the cleanliness of the waffle maker and i didn't want cereal, so we ended up going to Hendrix. At checkout i handed over my keys and the clerk was talking to someone else, and didn't ask me about anything. I just took my receipt and left.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris M
VIRGINIA BEACH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed at this property for five times in the last five years. This year I made a reservation in June 2012 for a non-smoking room on the first floor and requested a late arrival. I was told that I had a first floor room. I checked in on Friday 2 Nov at 4:30pm and was told that I did NOT have the first floor room because it had been unblocked even though there was a note saying not to unblock. No other non-smoking rooms were available on the first floor. I was then assigned a room on the second floor. The clerk put a note in the computer for the manager to contact me on Friday. It has now been six days and still no call. I called again this morning Nov 8th and asked the operator to have the manager to call me and still no call. The clerk gave me room card keys which should have been for 3 days, but would not allow me to open the back door at 11pm on Sunday night. I had to walk around the outside of the building in partial darkness to get to the lobby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Millis, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is the 3rd time in 4 years I've stayed here with a group involved in a local event. Over that time I've seen this motel decline from an affordable alternative to what I can only describe as approaching a "dump". The carpets are filthy; the walls appear to have served as boundaries for some contact sport. Fixtures are missing in the rooms; appliances are broken (I gave up after two broken alarm clocks); and I believe a competing brand is using the bedspreads in their TV commercial as an example of where not to stay.

It would be unfair to expect a gourmet breakfast at this price point, but what was offered falls somewhere between little and none. I've seen a wider and healthier offering at other budget motels. If you think you will be saving money on breakfast by staying here, you won't as you'll end up going to a restaurant.

I want to rate this property as "terrible" but what is preventing me from doing so is the staff, whom I found very friendly, accommodating, and attempting to work with what little they are given. If you are a long-haul truck driver looking simply for a place to crash for a few hours then I expect you'll be OK with this motel. For others, I suggest spending a few extra dollars elsewhere in Salisbury and have a more pleasant experience. I know I will next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo