“Great Family Fun!!”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Family Fun!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been going to DNP since I was just a kid, and I still get excited whenever I turn into the gates. This is one of my all time favorite places! DNP has something for everyone.where to begin? First of all, the place is sprawling and heavily wooded in most places. There are campgrounds, baseball fields, soccer fields, volleyball pits. As you drive on into the park and into the woods you will be directed to the different attraction areas by clearly marked signs. The first attraction you'll come to will be the putt putt. There are 2 different courses to play. From there you will see the playground area. It is pretty expansive. There is a little kids area and a bigger kids area, which is nice if you have small ones that are 'not ready for prime time.' If you follow the road around (and most likely you will be walking at this point, they usually cut off the parking at the lot by the playground), you will come to a gem mining area, a petting zoo, an indoor reptile display with all sorts of snakes, some turtles, fish, an owl, and an alligator (probably some more im forgetting), a carousel (not a mini one, a real one, adults can and do ride too!) and a mini train (adults can ride this too). There is also a water splash area there but they didn't have this when I was coming along and I've never seen it in use, 'course I've never been crazy enough to go here on a blazin hot summer day. If you keep moving straight ahead you will come to the Bald Eagle habitat, which is pretty cool because I think they just had a baby eagle hatch. From there, follow the path down to the bear habitat. Along the way, you will pass the turtle pool (not as cool as the old turtle pool, which was indoors, but definitely not as stinky). This is a really neat area, with lots of animals to see, including: red foxes, woodchucks, deer, bobcats, red wolf, and of course the bears. If you remember the old bear habitat, this is a MAJOR improvement! I don't feel all that sorry for them like I used to;) there is a nominal fee to get into this area, like a dollar or so. After this, you can mosey on down to the small
Lake where you can ride paddle boats, fish or feed the ducks. There is also a really cool path that goes all the way around the lake. We used to take field trips here and we'd walk this path every time. There are plenty of picnic tables to have a picnic at and there are quite a few picnic shelters if you plan on having a larger crowd. We took our eldest son here for his 3rd birthday last May and he is already requesting that we go back this year too! You can definitely make a day of it here. It is a wonderful place to bring the whole family!

Visited May 2012

Statesville, North Carolina
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Family Fun”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

What a great way to spend the day with little ones. So much to do. Not very expensive. There is a small train, picnic areas, boats, fountains and more!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank hsue12
Concord, North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great day at the pak”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Come here palnning to stay several hours..lots to do, more than your average park. Pack a picnic and just make it a day..train, petting zoo, zoo area, panning..its a great park and such small fees for everyhting..it's well worth it

Visited June 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
234 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 375 helpful votes
“A fun day at the park”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I took our little daughter up to Dan Nicholas Park after hearing some good things about it from our friends. Thought it was a good bit of fun. They have a train ride, a merry go round, a petting zoo, along with paddle boat rentals and a fairly large playground. Our little girl (about 10 months at the time) had a great time and we made some really fun memories. I'd recommend it for anyone looking for a quick Saturday outing.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank jrobba
Salisbury, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A regular stop for us!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My daugher and I go here often. There are many trails for jogging, walking, biking, etc. There is a small pond in the center where you can rent paddle boats. There are regular paddle boats, or ones shaped like a dragon, duck, swan, or goose! There are many ducks & geese that you can feed. Feed is in nearby dispensers for a quarter a cup. During the warm weather, the carosel and train rides are open. Each is only a dollar. The animal barn is like a domestic animal petting zoo. There is also a mini-zoo which has rescues of animals native to this area (bobcats, red wolves, black bears, owls, and eagles). There is tent & RV camping, and a gem mine for the kids to try. There is put-putt golf, and three playgrounds in a row, separated by age and/or disability. You can rent a shelter for a party, or a picnic area with a mini cabin. It is a really large place.

Visited January 2013