“Great food!”

Monterrey Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #80 of 177 Restaurants in Salisbury
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This isn't our usual Mexican restaurant in Salisbury, as we live on the opposite side of town. However, we were very pleased with the food & service when we stopped by there late last Sunday night. Our meals were delicious & priced very reasonably, & the servings plentiful.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were seated right away and then forgotten. There were 4 of us. We got drinks and then the server never came back, even when we asked another waiter to remind him. Never even got a menu.

1  Thank Deborah C
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I was a loyal fan of Monterrey's Mexican in Salisbury, North Carolina. I don't remember how long I'd been going, but it must have been something in the 20 year range. The food was decent Mexican-American, and prices were really good.

Service can vary, but it had been overall good until the last year or so. After a trip with all the servers watching TV and having to go ask for a spoon for the soup, I didn't say anything. OK. I just went up and got a spoon. Then, my server was waiting the table while talking on his cell phone. Very odd I thought. A fluke I was thinking. Same thing happened a couple of weeks later and on my son's birthday. The waiter was chatting on the phone and told his friend to hold a minute and took our order. Other than that part (asking our order), the server was talking on the cell phone even when he dropped off the bill (when I had wanted to order b-day dessert).

The manager asked at check out if everything was OK. I started to let it pass (but then I thought that he would want to know). I was very polite and said that the meal was good but that our server was talking on his cell phone the entire time he was waiting on our table.

The manager said, "You got your food didn't you?" Well, yes, we did (but no dessert etc as planned). Then he informed me that he also chats on his cell phone while working and that it's not a big deal and that no one else has a problem with it.

Wow!. Really now, you have a regular customer who has never once complained ever in 20 something years, and you blow them off like that?

After this, I checked with the health department. If the front of the house is like this, I had to wonder. Monterreys was cited for using the leftover chips out of the bowls on the tables and combining them to send out to other customers. I have to wonder how many used chips I ate over all those years. It does seem they have stopped that or at least put some chips in the trash can now. I'm not sure I'd trust it though.

It's hard to run off a customer who has been loyal for years and years. They managed to do so with those cell phones and rude response from the manager when he asked, and I mentioned it. I doubt I would have brought it up, but he did ask. Don't ask if you don't want to know. And, don't make lame excuses for things that are not OK.

I don't go to Monterrey's Salisbury NC now period. There are other restaurants in town where I can have a meal, and my server actually talks to me and not his cell phone. There are also managers who ask and listen rather than going all macho and acting like if I got a plate of food, I should be thankful.

1  Thank Charlie A
Reviewed August 11, 2011

This is the best value in Salisbury. Quite good mexican food. Try it - you won't regret it. Burrito Tipicos are amazing!