“Will try again, but not the Fra Diavola!”
Review of Cartuccis - CLOSED

Cartuccis
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Cartucci's Italian Restaurant, located in the midst of Downtown Salisbury's Historic District. We offer full Lunch and Dinner service with your favorite Italian dishes sumptuously prepared by our Chef and staff; a feast for the eyes as well as the palate!
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have to say that I was disappointed in my meal ($39 including appetizer, entree, a shared slice of cheesecake, and tip.) I ordered the Shrimp and Scallops which were served with a (supposedly) Fra Diavola Marianara sauce. I will admit that I am pretty picky when it comes to sauces and I tend to base my opinion of an Italian restaurant on their Fra Diavola! We started the meal with the calamari which was good and I enjoyed the basic side salad and decent blue cheese dressing that came with the meal. The bread was delicious and hot. The sauce on my pasta (which was cooked just right- definitely al dente) was really watery - I mean so thin that it had almost no color - which made it difficult to eat without dripping all over! It just did not have the rich spicy flavor that Fra Diavolo sauce should have and the sauce was so watery that it literally slid right off of the pasta. (I grew up in an Italian American family and I do know the difference between a red ragu and a marinara!) The scallops were awful and I should have said something and given them the opportunity to make a substitution or adjustment - my fault for not doing so. They were a really odd crumbly texture and tasted strange also. My mother felt the same way when I asked her to taste them. She ordered the Primavera Penne, substituting linguine for her pasta. It was a little rich for her, but very good. In fact, I had several bites of hers. We were full, but shared a slice of cheesecake which was tiny for $7 and, again, it too had a very odd flavor and texture. When I think of good New York cheesecake, I expect a thick slice with a slightly ricotta like texture and this was just not up to par. It reminded me more of flan than cheesecake. The service was good and the wait staff were attentive and friendly. I do not mind paying for good food, especially if it is Italian, but $40 is way too much for the quality of the experience I had. I have heard that Cartucci's has a good lunch buffet and I may try it in the future, but no more dinners there for me.

2  Thank Leslee M

Reviewed June 24, 2012

Meals are moderately priced (i.e. pasta dishes generally $13 and most sea food $19). I had sauteed tilapia with sun dried tomatoes in a lemon & white wine sauce along with a caesar salad. Both were very good. Servings were large.
Service was fast and efficient. The waitress gave a full explanation of the menu items when asked. Free parking available on the street or nearby municipal lot.
Patrons ranged from business people to families. Dress is casual.

I would recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Great food,..fresh deep greens, flavor from great spice combinations. Meats cooked just right...

Reviewed May 24, 2012

My $6 glass of house wine was huge! :) Food was good lots of nice selections, including chicken cannelloni. Not sure if it was our waitress' first night, but I had to explain to her the difference between cannelloni and ravioli!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Great little Italian restaurant. The staff make you feel as if you're the most important person there. Wonderful food with nice selection on on the menu.

1  Thank Carol W