“Great location on the bay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Esperance
Orleans Bay Caravan Park
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,594 helpful votes
“Great location on the bay”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Orleans Bay Caravan Park is in a fantastic location and is about a 3 km drive to beautiful Wharton Beach then you can 4WD along the beach to the spectacular Victoria Beach, 2 of the most pristine beaches you will ever see.
Reception was very basic when we were there in November with hardly any food supplies and is open from 9am to 5pm. We found Chris the owner very blunt and not very heipful maybe because this was our first visit here.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin with great views of the bay but is was very very windy and we could not spend a lot of time outside at night due to this wind.
The cabins are very basic and suited our needs we were not expecting the Ritz if you are expecting this, then these cabins are not for you.
They main bedroom was small with no where to hang your clothes but the bed was comfortable and we slept well. You do need to bring your own linen, blankets pillows etc.
The 2nd bedroom which we did not use had a double bottom bunk and 3 single bunk beds.
The kitchen was huge with an oven, stove top microwave and a large fridge. Cooking utensils were basic and all needed a good wash before using!!
There was a large table and chairs in the sitting area as well as a lounge and 2 comfy chairs, the TV has 2 channels with poor reception.
The bathroom was a good size with a separate toilet no toiletries were supplied.
You must bring your own food supplies in with you as nothing available in the area.
The cabin had its own wood BBQ, if you are camping it costs $20 a day to hire with wood.
There is also a sheltered sitting area with table and chairs beside the cabin.
The cabin is very basic and that was fine but I think it could do with a good clean through out especially the cupboards and drawers.
This caravan park is in a beautiful location and the beaches nearby make this a very worthwhile stop in the area for at least 2-3 nights as long as you don't require luxury.
We loved it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lindakthomas

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Beautiful, absolutely stunning location.
White sand turning all beaches to a clear turquoise colour making it very inviting to swim.
Whales in very close to beaches and in small bays.
Lots of walking tracks if you're in to walking. Lots of driving tracks, take a 4wd if possible.
We stayed in a big cabin at the caravan park with 4 adults. It had 1 double bed and 2 bunks (4 beds). We took our sleeping bags to sleep in as no linen unless organised prior with owners.
Big kitchen with plenty to cook with.
Big bathroom with toilet separately.
Note: All water is not fresh...It is brown!!!
TV only had 2 chanels (GWN7 and ABC), Telstra mobile phone coverage limited and worked only sometimes.
Would definitely stay again but at a warmer time of year so I can swim at the amazing beaches. Cannot comment on shower and toilet blocks due to staying in a cabin.
Plenty of wildlife, birds, rabbits and kangaroos.
Careful of roos if driving at dusk, dawn or night.
If you are used to staying at a 5 star hotel don't stay here you'll hate it, but if you are used to and can handle it a bit rougher its fantastic.
There is also a great national park to drive around about halfway inbetween esperance and orleans bay caravan park. I didn't seem very enthised about going to it but once we got there it was outstanding....just make sure you fill your car with fuel before leaving!!
All round great stay and highly recommend it to other people.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank arlucas8
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at The Duke over Christmas 2012 and New Year 2013. The park was fully booked but the pitches are huge (some are a little uneven) but we could easily have got 2 camper trailers on our pitch if we'd needed to.

Ablutions: okay, they' re dated and the doors are half height, but we're camping people and the water is both warm and wet. Occasionally the toilet paper runs out, so plan ahead and take your own.

Laundry: plenty to of top loaders between the 2 laundries (no driers) and lots of hills hoists and the afternoon breeze will soon dry your washing.

Camp kitchen: it's a very basic structure with a couple of sinks and draining boards. No microwaves.

Pitches: as mentioned above, some are a little uneven in places but of you have levelling ramps and chocks you'll be fine. However, you will need a hose longer than 10m on some sites depending on how you set up camp. We had no problem with the distance to power though.

Kids: this place is kid central (in a good way). Heaps of kids riding around on bikes (forget skateboards, rollerblades and roller skates - they won't work on the dirt roads around the camp site). Definitely kid safe and the majority of drivers follow the speed limits and look out for kids.

Dogs: yep, you can take them and they are allowed on Wharton Beach, but Victoria Harbour beach which is less busy than Whatrton is part of the national park, so you can't go there with your pooches.

Beaches: some of the best beaches I have ever seen - pure white, squeaky sand and aqua blue water. Beaches offer great swimming, snorkelling, paddling, canoeing and fishing. And don't forget the tinny.

Fishing: apparently is good, bit we didn't have too much luck.

4WD-ing: in abundance. Very easy beach driving, and bigger challenges in the local area, deep dong how much you explore (head East towards Cape Arid).

Camp Shop: sells pretty much everything from meat, ice, boogie boards, t-shirts, fuel. But of you need Grog, it's a 20km drive each way to Condingup Tavern (expensive) .

We had the best time - cant recommend highly enough.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank TravellingTh0mm0s
Boston
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Very friendly owner/manager and small shop provides more than the basics. We rented one of a few en suite cabins for $130 and were glad to have our own showers. The rooms were sparsely furnished and kitchens had just enough to cook with. The beds have definitely had their best years.

That said, it is isolated, and the beaches are some of the most beautiful we have ever seen.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bulgeloop
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night, the night before school went back for the new year, so was very quiet. We got a nice shady lawn spot to pitch our tent, $31 for a camp site is not cheap, but given they are the only place within 80km I guess they can ask that price. Good because you can take your dog, whereas you cant take dogs into the nearby National Parks. But I would recommend the nearby shire camp sites, $5/night and dogs allowed in some, no showers at these of course, and the toilets were drop toilets and fairly smelly -we spent 2 nights at Alexander Bay camp site, and despite what the pamphlet says you could get there with a 2wd. The facilities -toilets and showers- here at the Duke were only average, yeh I dont think the owners spend alot of money on maintenance. Nearby Wharton Beach is absolutley spectacular and worth checking out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kalgoorlie, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have been staying at Orleans Bay Caravan Park for years now, and absolutely love it. We always endeavour to go at an off peak time, as we know it's booked to capacity at peak times and that will affect your peace and quiet / bathroom wait times etc (but that's to be expected like any other place).

The owners are fantastic and remember us each time we go there. We love taking our four wheel drive on the beach (yes, you're allowed to!) it's great fun exploring the beaches. We also take our quad bike and those are allowed on the beaches also. Great fishing (not giving away our fave fishing spot though - you'll have to discover it for yourself!)

The thing that first attracted us to Orleans Bay Caravan Park was the fact that they allow dogs in the park - our dog is our baby and we are so glad she gets to come with us! She just loves going to Orleans Bay.

The beaches and scenery are the prettiest I have ever seen, I highly recommend this place to any traveller - provided it's not at peak times.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank KalgoorlieAustralia
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Theres only one reason that this travesty continues to operate. That is the proximity to the Wonderfull Wharton Beaches and the total monopoly that this dump has on accomodation.

I was an occaisional visitor back in the mid 1990's and I think I could accurately say not one cracker has been spent on improvements since then.

I was greeted by the co-owner with a stubbie in his hand. Thats fine but I suspect that all maintenance was also attempted with a single available hand. I had the missfortune to be placed in the unpowered area. All the best spots automatically go to the Goldfields/Kalgoorlie locals who have no hesitation in informing you you cannot park anywhere with any grass or shade. Those priviledges of course belong exclusively to them.
I was placed near an area called the "mosh pit" which was a rubbish dump on the edge of the park .............no I'm not joking. There was a large pile of rubbish ready for burning in the middle.

My "spot" didnt allow me to get my shade out as I was sandwiched beetween two trees, there was no grass, no water tap and no drain /dishwater provision. A 15M walk in the middle of other campers revealed a single tap which yielded yellow undrinkable bore water.

The "convieniences" were over 100 meteres away but were for the men: two toilets, two showers and a urinal for probably 70-100 men and boys. The hot water failed on two of the mornings I was there. I was told this was an act of "sabotage". I suspect it had more to do with the indolence of the owners. The water also failed one night rendering the toilets unable to be flushed and on one occaision the power was out to the "ammenties". The shower cubicles beyond being too small to really assist with the showering of small children were devoid of any clothes pegs and had one shelf only which was always wet. The shower heads were unfamiliar to me and I suspect were a relic of decades past. I tried to adjust one and it came away in my hand.

Every morning I was woken up by Quad bikes with loud exhausts at 05:20 in the morning as harrased parents dragged their children the impossible distance to the inadequate ablutions.
Heated arguments at 03:00AM with a full barrage of obscene suggestions and disgusting language. Drum and Bass music till similar early morning hours was the background to this humiliating and hellish stay.

Best to stay away I suggest.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family