“Lovely owners compliment this charming accomodation.”
Review of Captain Huon Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Esperance
Captain Huon Motel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Esperance
Perth, Australia
“Lovely owners compliment this charming accomodation.”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I have stayed at the Captain Huon a number of times on business and have always been impressed by the genuine warmth and friendliness of the Owner Operators. They are always ready with a smile, a cheeky question or a useful tidbit. Whilst the rooms appear a little dated all the furnishings are of a high quality and overall provide an enjoyable and above all comfortable stay. Literally a stones throw from the beach front my favorite experience would have to be grabbing breakfast in the restaurant whilst enjoying the ocean views. Speaking of the restaurant I heartily recommend trying the mixed berries and yogurt for breakfast. At a little under ten dollars you will be pleasantly surprised with a bowl brimming with mixed berries (fresh when seasonally available) and your choice of yogurt. I am normally a big eater but made the mistake the first time of ordering this with a side of eggs on toast and was forced to concede defeat halfway through my second piece of toast. The portions are incredibly generous at the Huon and everything I have eaten there so far has ranged from enjoyable to delicious.

My only quibbles with the Huon are minimal. Firstly whilst being so near to the beach is pleasant it also means you are situated on a fairly busy road. The noise from passing cars is surprisingly penetrative (I am a light sleeper). If you are not fussed about the views from you room I would suggest picking rooms one or 6 in order to have a buffer of four rooms between yourself and the road. The alternative of course is if you sleep like a log and want the views then request room 1 or 10 (I am in ten currently and whilst the views is nice I would trade it for a little less noise). The only other complaint I have is that because the bathroom furnishings are a little outdated some people will be disappointed with the size and design of the showers. I am 6'2 but thankfully skinny enough to not have too much issue getting in and out. Suffice to say if you are of the husky persuasion you made find getting clean a little difficult.

All in all though minor drawbacks aside I heartily recommend the Captain Huon to anyone in the Esperance region. I find it both charming and relaxing and which makes sense as this is reflected by the owner operators. A final thing to note and something I have not seen mentioned before. The Captain Huon offers free wireless internet to all its patrons. Without this fantastic extra I would not be able to right this review so it appears to have been a wise investment. It's refreshing to find a hotel willing to offer a decent free internet connection (56mbps) in Australia.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Lashadren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Broken Hill
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My wife and I have just had three weeks in the south west of Western Australia. The location of the Captain Huon motel was truly special - on the foreshore overlooking the Bay of Isles. The facilities were clean, comfortable and private - everything you need for a self contained holiday. We were given a discount without even asking for it; how good is that. The hosts were friendly and informative, and our stay at Esperance turned out being one of the highlights of our trip. We never stayed at any place better than this!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PhilmcBrokenHill
Lugano, Switzerland
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We had a very nice room, spacious and clean, but we did pay for it... 170 AUD a night. Owner is friendly and gave us plenty of tips on what to visit, which beaches were best, etc, he really took a long time to explain everything and we appreciated it. Location is sea front and a short walk, about 20 mins, to the centre (or a 3 minute drive).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I was on vacation in Australia. My friend and I were driving from Perth to Brisbane. We had car problems and spent a day and a half in Esperance. The town is very nice and the view of the Southern Ocean is awesome.

We spent the night at the Captain Huon Motel. It was the nicest paid lodging we had on our trip. I plan to take my wife to Australia. A few days in Esperance is pm our itinery and we will definitely saty at the Captain Huon.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Perth, West Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2009

A nice place right on the beach and a walk to town. Can be a bit noisy because the rooms are right on the road along the beach but the views make up for that. The rooms are ok, a little dated but have a kitchen with fridge and cuttlery. A DVD and TV are pinned to the wall and a small shower in the bathroom is ok.

For a base for a few days I was very happy.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business