“Food not as described” 2 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Food not as described”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

We went there 6-14-2014 after one of my business customers recommended it. I checked online reviews and actually went by there in person 3 days ahead to check the menu. I specifically asked about the crispy duck and how it was prepared. Upon arriving around 7PM on a Saturday night, we were the fourth table there. Later on two more tables came in. Only one employee in the front. She was the waitress-cashier-busboy. We ordered five items. One was excellent and four were very disappointing. The beef salad was very good and the visual presentation excellent. This was exactly the kind of food we were used to in Thai restaurants along the eastern USA. Two soups were bland beyond belief even though I asked for my seafood soup to be hot. Adequate shrimp and squid, but broth was flavorless. The chicken sate was plain and overcooked; zero moisture left in the chicken. The main reason we went there was for crispy duck. It was NOT as described on the menu nor like the employee 3 days earlier described. We expected a BONELESS duck breast around 8-10oz, lightly coated with flour and fried. The expected sauce was to be a medium thick brown sauce with cashews, mushrooms, peas, etc What was served was a half duck about 10-12oz, but that included bone, leg and thigh. There was about 4oz of duck breast meat. No breading. And the slight liquid on the bottom of the platter was almost colorless and flavorless. For all we could tell, it was excess water bleeding from the side order of vegetables. No sauce in sight??? We ate and told the waitress our disappointment when I paid the check. I didn't have a chance to tell her sooner since she never checked back on us after we got the duck. She was overwhelmed waiting on 4 tables. She said "I'm sorry, you should have asked me for hot sauce for the soup" and that was it.

2 appetizers, 2 soups and one entrée was $50. If the quality had been there, it would have been OK, but we were disappointed on four of five items ordered.

• Visited June 2014

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Thai in Downtown Rutherfordton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

While dining for any business purposes can yield a great experience, I find the true test of a restaurant is when dining with your family - specifically, with three children. I dined at Rutherford Thai during a business trip and enjoyed it so much I returned with my family. We decided to go on the early side since our children are young and to avoid any disturbance to other guests. We're big fans of Thai cuisine and were excited to find such a great restaurant in Rutherford County. Our children loved the Pad Thai with tofu, Fried Rice with chicken, and Garden Rolls. My wife and I enjoyed Larb Gai with chicken and Spicy Eggplant with beef. Earlier in the week I ordered and enjoyed the Green Curry with chicken. All these dishes were served with care and tasted better than our favorite Thai restaurant back home. The owner had one last mango so we had sticky rice with mango for dessert. The staff even brought by crayons and order tickets to help keep our children entertained while their food was being prepared. A greatly appreciated gesture.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Brian E
Rutherfordton
“Tasty and authentic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

Rutherford Thai is a welcome change in dining options. It's very small, easy to visit with your dining companions. We have eaten there more than a dozen times since it opened last year. Sometimes for lunch, sometimes for dinner. The food is very tasty, fresh every time. The service is just right. The décor is interesting and pleasant, and the menus are a work of art! Highly recommend!

Visited February 2014
n. carolina
“Good food and a friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

The restaurant provides a wonderful alternative to the usual restaurant fare available in a small town. Staff R friendly and outgoing. The food is well prepared and delicious. We will often get take out and enjoy it while watching a movie.

• Visited January 2014
Anderson, South Carolina
“Authentic, Delicious & Fresh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Rutherford Thai is probably the best Thai cuisine I've ever had. The service is wonderful and the food is incredibly plated. More than enough per serving and it's so fresh and delicious we often make Rutherford Thai a dining experience when we visit Rutherfordton, NC. For a "Foodie," this is a restaurant lover's dream. The menu is extensive and offers something new and delicious to try each visit. I highly recommend Rutherford Thai.

• Visited January 2014