“Not bad for a sheltered workshop”

Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Tanunda
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Be patient, and give yourself plenty of time. Everything the staff did, from check-in to the selection of wine, to dinner was handled very poorly, with mistake after mistake. Everyone must be in training to get so much wrong. We'll come back when they've graduated.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SteveM2880
WeintalManager, General Manager at Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

Sometimes in our industry, we meet people that no matter what we do, we cannot meet their needs or expectations. We wish the posters all the best in their travels.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Weintal was an OK place to stay. I didn't pay enough attention when I booked, so rather than getting the beautiful cosy resort I was expecting we got something like a motor lodge. Oh well. It wasn't very beautiful.

My main concern was that there be wifi in the rooms, as my wife needed to be in contact with her office during our stay, and in that I was disappointed. There was indeed wifi in our room, if you stood in the doorway. If you sat in a chair or on the bed there was no service. That meant, for example, that email couldn't arrive unless you took your laptop out of the room.

We investigated and this was because the wifi service comes from a satellite dish on the roof of the office, and its strength is limited. Staff seemed somewhat bewildered that we would expect to actually have wifi in the room because the web site says there's wifi in the room, when plainly THEY couldn't do anything with the satellite dish. They were happy to let us sit near the office to get a better signal, but I'm still left with the feeling that I didn't get what I wanted from this hotel. If our room had been further from the office we would have had no signal at all.

This is a common problem in hotels, and it will remain a problem until hotels get their act together and take some responsibility for providing the services that customers need and expect. I won't be returning to the Weintal (well, maybe for dinner, the restaurant was OK) as they are not able to provide the facilities I need.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the office.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
WeintalManager, General Manager at Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

We thank the poster for their review. We fully agree that efficient wifi is an ever increasing requirement for travelers.
Telstra have been very active and helpful in assisting us to remedy the recent/occasional lack of wifi reception and we are hopeful that this problem will be solved in the next two weeks.
There is also a free internet kiosk available to house guests.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed here last weekend with a group of friends. We had a pleasant stay and I must say the rooms are very quiet being located a reasonable distance from the main road. The rooms were clean with what looked like new carpet. The bathroom was clean and just a little bit tired in some places. Our other friends did however experience dripping taps in their bathrooms and fungus / mould on the carpet by the bathroom door. All the conveniences were provided, tea and coffee, hairdryer etc and free Wi-Fi. Some of the linen was a little worn but still clean and ok. We had cooked breakfast for $22 with a very good choice of hot foods along with pastries and cereal and fruit. At night we chose the buffet which was excellent at $20 per head. This included king prawns to start with and a very good range of hot meats, vegetables and salad. After this there were a variety of cakes to choose from. Very good value. Our only disappointment was the clientele in the bar section.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was very disappointed with the Mould in our room's bathroom/Shower Cubicle. I politely bought it up with staff at the reception desk only to be told it was an ongoing issue and told an earlier guest had also complained! I was bewildered with the staff's reaction as if it was no issue at all. I had finally convinced hubby to get away for our anniversary and expected a little better. On the plus side the meals were great in the restaurant and the staff there were helpful and accommodating. I am so disappointed to have walked away with a Mouldy memory! D.Barnes stayed Oct 29th RM 4

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
WeintalManager, General Manager at Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely regret the offhand comment made to you by one of our staff. We are currently in the process of resealing and re grouting all rooms as part of our property renovation. Please contact me at your convenience and I will arrange a complimentary Studio Spa Room for you - one of our best rooms with private lounge, separate bedroom and full spa.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a very good experience recently at the Barossa Weintal Hotel - total of 2 nights for a group of friends. Clean and not noisy despite lots of hotel rooms. We didn't have enough cups and wine glasses but the front desk were obliging. Pub food for our use and everything we needed. A little further down the road so bring some good walking shoes but otherwise a hotel with all your basic needs.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were in the Barossa to see the sights and taste the wine. This motel was ideally situated for this task. The facilities were good and it has an excellent restaurant that was reasonably priced. Breakfast was included in our package and it was excellent. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having stayed one terrible night at this non-descript place, I wished to post a review. When reading through the most recent ones, I came across the review written by Rosa2026 which summarised exactly what I felt: Sad Place... Then, to my surprise, I read the response from management stating that nobody called Rosa2026 stayed in their property....Helloooo! Wake up and smell the coffee! Have they ever heard of nicknames? Do they expect people to register at their hotel with a name like Rosa2026? Maybe, as my nickname includes the name Marco Polo, management will check the records for the intrepid Italian. Very sad place indeed. Terrible restaurant. Terrible service. I felt I was in a Soviet hotel of the 50s. Even had to pay dinner in advance when ordering at the bar. Food was not even palatable. Rooms were tired and very uncomfortable. Bypass it. You will find many better alternatives in the area

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MPoloSolo
WeintalManager, General Manager at Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We have no issue with genuine reviews and welcome the feedback. This review however, seemed a little familiar in its use of language. We found it interesting that Marco and Rosa both reviewed another hotel on the same day, at the same time, in another country. Coincidence - We think not. Tripadvisor is an excellent resource for travelers, occasionally marred by misuse. We wish Marco and Rosa all the best in the future travels together.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanunda
Novotel Barossa Valley Resort
#4 of 10 in Tanunda
Barossa Gateway Motel
Barossa Gateway Motel
#3 of 3 in Nuriootpa

Been to Barossa Weintal Hotel / Motel? Share your experiences!