“Our initial misgivings were put to rest!”
Review of Rendezvous at Bushman's Inn - CLOSED

Rendezvous at Bushman's Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Perth Western Australia
“Our initial misgivings were put to rest!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We had one night in Penola and were looking for somewhere to have dinner. The Bushman's Inn was just a short stroll from our accommodation at Must @ Coonawarra however some reviews on both Urbanspoon and Trip Advisor were not encouraging us to come to this restaurant. Finally we decided that we would give the restaurant a go and we were not disappointed at all and began to wonder if there was some 'sabotaging afoot'. The room was warm and cosy on a cold, rainy June evening; the tables were set nicely and the staff and chef, whom we met later after commenting on our initial misgivings according to the reviews to the waitress, were most pleasant and friendly. Most unusual for us we both had the same courses and thoroughly enjoyed the Broccoli Soup with Blue Vein Cheese (a great match) plus fresh bread, the large juicy Pork Cutlet with well-prepared veges and a shared Polenta Cake with Clove and Caramel (delicious) All ingredients - meat and vegetables - are locally sourced and were very fresh and tasty. The meal sizes were more than adequate. All in all a very nice meal! Obviously the lesson to be learnt is 'don't believe everything you read on food review sites' - try for yourself!

• Visited June 2013

Sydney
“take away pizza that lacked flavour”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We live in the local area and decided to try the Wood fire pizza, I'm sorry to say guys but even after assuring my partner that a classic pizza only has a few ingredients I was at least expecting rich slowly cooked flavours that one should expect from a woodfire pizza. Can I suggest roasting the potato before? I know it may sound cocky to recommend cooking methods, but the pizza was just bland there was no 'wow' factor. We had to add a good quality olive oil and salt to give it flavour.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Customerservicefinder
Airlie Beach, Australia
“'Rendezvous' re-rated”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I agree with James R from California and his 'Wonderful Surprise' review of 17 February 2013 - " The atmosphere was unexpectedly sophisticated, artwork, music etc..".

My friend & I dined there on Wednesday night 27th February. (We had previously called in during the day and checked the place out.) The atmosphere was sophisticated with fine napery and tableware, artwork, peaceful recorded music playing gently in the background, mood lighting et al. the place looked great. But, we didn't come for the view – we came for the food, and it didn't disappoint.

Some reviews here intimate that the Rendezvous is a pizza parlour, or even worse, just a pizza parlour. Yes, you can buy pizza there and take it away, but there's more to the 'Rendezvous' than that. There is a beautiful little private bar to enjoy a romantic cocktail by candle-light before dinner. The dinner menu is not extensive, but neither is the Penola restaurant scene. The usual offerings of meat, chicken or seafood are well-cooked, well-presented, and well worth more than the price. Every plate offered good flavour, colour and texture. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, and the cook is willing to keep the kitchen open after 8:30 pm.

It is not Paris along the Champs de Elysse, it is Penola in the bush – it is simple, honest, flavourful food served in a relaxing .stylish setting. I don't understand why some reviewers have given the 'Rendezvous at the Bushman's Inn' a thumbs down. It may be that they visited before the new management took over in late 2012. If I was James Halliday I would give it at last 94 out of 100.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Uncleron-60
Singapore, Singapore
“best pizza in value and taste”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We tried several pizzas on our 2 week holiday in South Australia and Rendezvous's pizza is easily the best we tried on our holiday. It seems they only offer pizza for takeaway, which is fine since we were staying at the Coonawarra Motor Lodge.

Pizzas were priced at $20 and if you can't decide, you can order a half-and-half and try two different flavors. The greek lamb pizza is lovely, the lamb pieces were cooked just right and the spinach salad added a refreshing crunch.

This is a good choice for dinner after a tiring day of wine tasting.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank wendywelding
california
“Wonderful surprise”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The atmosphere was unexpectedly sophisticated, artwork, music etc.. Service was prompt and friendly. One of the owners came to the table and talked with us at length about the area and things to see. The food was the biggest surprise, very creative, plated well and delicious. I'm not sure why my review is so different than others but if I was to come through Penola again I would make sure to stop here.

• Visited February 2013