“High quality dining experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Upstairs at Hollick

Upstairs at Hollick
Reserve with
Upstairs at Hollick is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Penola
Cuisines: Australian, International
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“High quality dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Food is excellent, great local produce and the service is excellent and friendly. The aspect over the vines is lovely and a timely reminder to select a Coonawarra red to accompany the delicious food. A local taxi service can be arranged to deliver and collect you from Penola if you have decided that you'll indulge a little. If you're planning one extra special night out in this area, this is the place to come.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sydney, Australia
“Lovely even on a winters day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I lunched here on a mid week, wet winters day and even though we were almost the only people there it was cosy. The view over the vineyards from the slightly elevated position was charming.
I enjoyed the twice cooked pumpkin souffle as an entree which was delicious.
As a main I had the local beetroot with salad and buffalo mozzarella, also delicious, though the rocket in the salad was not as lushly green as i would like.
The dessert was exceptional. Vanilla bean panna cotta with raspberry sorbet, poached local rhubarb, with rose geranium syrup and freeze dried raspberries. Magnificent!
The staff were very attentive and friendly.
Overall a very fine lunch.

• Visited July 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Wonderful meal with a beautiful view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We interrupted our day of wine tasting with a wonderful mid-week lunch at the Horricks Winery. The experience was truly wonderful. The restaurant has a good selection of food and of course Horricks wine. Both food and wine were great. The service was excellent. And the atmosphere of dining overlooking the Coonawarra vines was sensational.

Visited July 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“First Class Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Upstairs at Hollick is a must when visiting the Coonawarra. The food is always first class, the service excellent and the ambience welcoming and comfortable in a delightful setting overlooking the vines. It is an expensive experience, however, but comparable in price to Pipers of Penola (perhaps a dollar or two more for some dishes) so be prepared to pay a premium. This was my third visit for a special luncheon and some minor quibbles this time meant it was not to the same superlative standard it has been in the past and has led me to (reluctantly) not award an "Excellent" on this occasion.

We booked for lunch on the Friday before the June long weekend and, surprisingly, the restaurant was not well patronised that day with just four tables occupied. We arrived early for tasting at the Cellar Door before our meal and were well looked after by the delightful Marion (truly a tremendous asset for this winery). We had an excellent table at the window with a view over the vines on a cool and drizzly winter's day.

We opted for a three course repast with the recommended wines for each dish allowing the opportunity to enjoy the variety of wines that Hollick has to offer. The two wait staff attending us were the epitome of friendliness and efficency ensuring a delightful dining experience. We began with a pre dinner drink of a glass of the frizzante accompanied by in house ciabatta rolls and Nolans Road Olive Oil from Naracoorte. Perhaps some balsamic or dukkah might have been a welcome addition to add to the flavour.

For entree my partner chose the seared scallops with cauliflower puree, crisp prosciutto and fresh asparagus ($ 21) accompanied by the Bond Road Chardonnay. A generous serving of four scallops allowed me to sample one as well as try the perfectly cooked and delightfully crisp and fresh asaparagus. I had been tempted to try the duck breast entree but at the last minute chose the twice cooked pumpkin and goat cheese souffle with celery, apple and hazelnut salad ($ 18) accompanied by the Sauvignon Blanc Savagnin Semillon. The salad was actually the highlight of the dish. Amazingly fresh and crisp celery, wonderfully flavoursome hazelnuts and delightful apple given an extra tang by the chardonnay mustard dressing. Sadly the souffle was a disappointment. I could barely distinguish the pumpkin and was expecting a pleasingly sharp burst of goat cheese flavour. It was certainly well made, but fairly nondescript and really no different from a homemade quiche.

Top marks for the main course. My partner chose the celebrated pork belly ($ 35) matched with the Tempranillo. The pork belly was accompanied by a cassoulet of pork, fennel and cider sausage, as well as pancetta, tomato and cannellini beans. The sausage was amazing and the combined flavours of this cassoulet was worth the price alone. My partner is quite a fan of this dish and thought it close to one of the best examples she has tried. I chose the eye fillet of local black angus beef ($38) matched with one of Hollick's premium reds, the Wilgha Shiraz. The fillet was cooked a perfect medium rare and accompanied by melt in the mouth charred kalangadoo onion and delicious roasted field mushrooms. My quibble was that the meat might have been rested a little too long and could have been a little warmer which slightly distracted from the experience. We also chose a side of duck fat, pink salt and rosemary kipfler potatoes with garlic aioli ($10). The potatoes seemed a tad overcooked and overly crisp to me, while the aioli seemed little different to a commerical mayonaise with chives. I would rate these meals extremely highly and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but because Upstairs at Hollick has been faultless on my previous visits I am probably being slightly tougher on exceedingly minor issues this time around.

For dessert my partner chose the vanilla bean panna cotta with raspberry sorbet, poached local rhubarb rose geranium syrup and freeze dried raspberries ($ 16). I opted for the soft centred dark chocolate pudding with house-made butterscotch ice cream, hazelnut and almond praline and vanilla cream ($ 16) each matched with the Sparkling Merlot. A perfect conclusion to the meal. The chocolate pudding was light and delicate with beautiful flavours without being too rich or cloying. The house made ice cream was just superb. My partner was equally full of praise for the pannacotta with fresh rhubarb and the lovely addition of the freeze dried rasberries.

After a perfect long lunch of over 3 hours on a winter afternoon (and it was also my partner's birthday treat) we punctuated the meal with coffee and I also partook of a cointreau liqueur. I suppose for three courses, matching wines, coffee, liqueur and pre dinner drinks $250 for two could be considered quite pricey. It was a thoroughly enjoyable meal for a special occasion and I will return again without hesitation. Upstairs at Hollick remains by preferred dining destination in the Coonawarra and I would heartily recommend a visit.

• Visited June 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“A must when in the Coonawarra”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

We dined on a Saturday night and the restaurant was half full. We received outstanding service from our two servers. After placing our order we each received an unexpected espresso cup filled with delicious sweet potato and capsicum soup followed by a choice of ciabatta or pumpkin and sage bread roll along with local Nolan oil. We shared entrees of pate with local cherry compote and a duck salad. The pate was a generous serving and extra toast offered without prompting. For main we enjoyed the special of the day atlantic salmon and a beef. All were cooked as requested and delicious. We shared a bottle of Hollick Shiraz that complimented all the dishes. This is a elegant restaurant with high quality service and food, it is priced accordingly.

• Visited May 2013