“Nice shop” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maggie Beer's Farm Shop

Maggie Beer's Farm Shop
Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Nuriootpa
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sydney
“Nice shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Maggie Beers Farm shop is a nice place to go in the afternoon for some tasting of her products and also the cooking demo at 2PM was very interesting. Maggie Beer herself said hello, which was very surprising. I didn't think she would be there. The cheese basket was unfortunately a rip off. A small piece of cheddar, some bread and fruit. It wasn't worth the $15. The ice cream was average, but cheaper than in the supermarket.
The surrounding area is amazing. The lake with the turtles gave you a beautiful view while eating. We were lucky, that there were not as many people there. If you have time while in the Barossa, just stop by and browse through her products.

• Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
“Pleasant day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Like - ambience, the view over the lake, the turtles swimming in it, trhe pleasant and competent staff.
Dislike - expensive, some of the local wines on offer were twice or three times the price at the cellar door.

Visited March 2013
Melbourne
“Good opportunity to try before buying Maggie Beer products”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Maggie Beer Farmshop sells Maggie Beer products (obviously) and a few items belonging to other brands, e.g. Saskia Beer. It also has a menu from which you can buy 'picnic baskets'.

The farmshop is on the edge of a dam and there are tables and chairs both inside and outside on the verandah for people to sit and have a wine or have something to eat. The view is pleasant and it's a nice environment to relax in. There is also a function room.

I recommend visiting the farmshop if you're in the Barossa Valley area, as you can taste many of the Maggie Beer products. It's also good if you want to buy Maggie Beer products that are unavailable anywhere else. The setting is nice and we found the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I don't recommend the farmshop for a meal. My rating of 'very good' for food is in relation to the tastings on offer and products available for purchase - not the meals.

**Tastings**
You can try most of the products available for sale. I say 'most' because I do remember the ice-cream wasn't available for tasting, but I'm not sure what else wasn't. That said, there is heaps to try - the jams, pate, biscuits, condiments, pickled fruits, verjuice, etc. I did try almost everything that I could and was completely stuffed by the end of it - even though most of my tastings were just the tip of an ice-cream stick or tip of a mini ice-cream spoon.

**Meals**
I wasn't very impressed by the meals on offer. Most are 'picnic baskets' but these consist of one of the products, e.g. a pate, with some bread and a bit of salad. I feel you could just buy some pate from the fridge case (because it actually is the little pot of pate you'd buy from the fridge case) then buy a loaf of bread from a bakery and you'd still only have paid half the price of the 'picnic basket' on the menu. The prices seemed very expensive for what you were getting, but perhaps that's expected somewhere like this.

My sis-in-law and brother got the seasonal cheese basket - it had one chunk of cheese (which tasted lovely but didn't seem like much cheese for $15 - approx. 3 x 3 x 5 cm) and some bread and fruit. They also got the dukkah basket, which was some dukkah in a little dish, some oil in a little dish and bread - also $15. That said, there was some leftover bread and cheese but I feel this was because they had tasted a lot of things prior to eating.

There were some hot things on the menu - on the day we went, there was some sort of game meats sausage roll type thing - approx. 10 x 7 x 3 cm. My parents, sister, brother and I (one small mouthful) shared two serves. It came with some salad and cabernet sauce. I think because it was quite rich, and because we had done so much tasting, it was enough. It too was expensive - I don't remember how much, possibly $18 or $21 - but it was different and it did taste nice. I think there was also some type of mini quiche but I don't know how that was sold.

My sister got a little tub of chocolate and salted caramel ice cream (not sure what size it was - not the 500ml tub but a single scoop type size), which was very delicious. My brother got a passionfruit ice cream but he thought it wasn't as good as the chocolate.

**Miscellaneous**
There were some misc items for sale in the shop, such as signed cook books, material shopping bags and so on.

**Service**
The serving and sales staff were friendly and helpful.

• Visited March 2013
Adelaide, Australia
“Slightly disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We would like to say that the setting for this farm shop is excellent but we were a little disappointed of the food that was on offer. We each had the picnic basket but it didn't satisfy our appetites and the bread rolls were a little dry. It was lovely to be able to taste the different things on offer but we wouldn't rush back or recommend it to anyone.

• Visited February 2013
Perth, Australia
“A Little Too Commercial”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Maggie Beer justifiably has a good reputation for her products. When you enter her shop you are encouraged to taste her products, and they are good, just as her restaurant is popular. On the day I visited it was very crowded , which is great for Maggie, but for that reason I didn't enjoy it as much as when I visited other providores in the Valley.

Visited February 2013