“Back to another world, another time,”
Review of Martindale Hall

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mintaro
Martindale Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mintaro
Canberra, Australia
“Back to another world, another time,”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Absolutely incredible! My family stopped there on a road trip back from Melbourne and we are so glad we did stop. I have always had a thing for Georgian architecture and it's not often you get to stay in a museum like this! When we arrived we were greeted with tea and snacks in the drawing room before being taken on the grand tour of the house by Pierre. I had already explored the house on a previous occasion but when you stay there you get exclusive access to the cellar as well as many fascinating stories about the place from the caretakers. You also have the choice of rooms(in their original condition!) I stayed in the 'blue bedroom' and it was incredible! The artworks were just beautiful as was the craftsmen ship of the furniture . We were then free to do as we liked until dinner, which was at 7 30 . I ( at that time aged literally just ten) was at no end of stuff to do, nor were my parents, who spent the majority of their time playing billiards on the largest table I've ever seen! Martindale hall is a wonderful place to imagine in. A child can easily lose themselves looking for secret trapdoors and the like. That said, however, I DO NOT encourage you to bring to the hall children under the age of eleven or twelve unless the are VERY mature, as the last thing you want is a young child running around this historic house in a destructive state of mind!! Probably the most incredible room in the house is the smoking room, which is filled with unbelievable artefacts from the owners private collection, including a priceless piece of samurai armour. After a full afternoon of exploring, dinner was delicious. I was a picky eater, granted, but this quality meal appealed even to me! I had for my main, a gorgeous piece of beef steak, and for desert a lemon pudding, with a candle in it for my recent 10 birthday. As I was so young, I forgot what my appetiser was!! ;) After dinner, the groundskeepers leave you to your own devices after leaving you a desert cheese platter in in the drawing room. The beds were very comfortable and I slept well except that my ten year old mind ran away with me and I ended up calling for mommy! Now, to address some difficulties other guests have encountered; First of all: if ensuite bathrooms and comforts like that are important to you, don't waste money on Martindale Hall. There are a number of hotels nearby that provide those services and such. Because this is such a historic building, such renovations are impossible without damaging it's historical significance. Secondly: heating/cooling. Yes, there is limited heating/cooling facilities. Again, such renavations are impossible due to historic significance. In winter there are fireplaces but I would also suggest some warm clothing. If these comforts are important to you then I would suggest staying in a hotel. However, if historical architecture and period furniture are your thing, I absolutely recommend Martindale hall to everyone!!

• Stayed September 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ogdensburg, New York
Reviewed May 3, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Martindale Hall. We especially enjoyed our guided tour with Pierre. Dinner was an absolute treat! Pierre and Tracy make you feel welcome and comfortable. It's quite a treat to stay in what truly is a museum. The grounds are lovely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed with a group of people, Tracy and Pierre were very welcoming, the rooms were comfortable and the meals were very enjoyable - stuffed quail was excellent. Pierre gave us a very informative tour of the hall, which is a museum and it's not often that you get to sleep in a museum! There is a lot on display that is fascinating, eg: a Samurai warriors armour.
No, there are no ensuites but is difficult to incorporate them into a building of this age, the bathrooms were fine, just keep showers short so everyone has a turn!
Breakfast is announced by a gong at 8.30 and Pierre cooks fantastic poached eggs. A fantastic place to stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank SueRaeB
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We spent Friday night in the Clare Valley and stayed at the stunning Martindale Hall with four friends. Absolutely breathtaking. The building has been so well preserved and is loved by the current caretakers Pierre and Tracey who make you feel so welcome. We had a tour of the house and Pierre was great at answering all our questions and giving us a full rundown on the houses history. Tracey is one of the best cooks going. I absolutely loved dinner in the dining room and the yummy breakfast in the break room with all the old cutlery and crockery. If you are a Downton Abbey fan then this is the place for you. Loved it and would highly recommend it if you are going to be in the area. Thanks Pierre & Tracey for a brilliant night. Was every and more we were hoping for.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emwhal
Bordertown, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Recently my wife and I stayed along with 5 other couples We arrived at 3:30pm to allow us time to check in and prepare for the guided tour at 4:30. It was hot (43C) so we were keen to refresh. We were 'not welcome' until 4:30. We had no prior knowledge of this. Martindale Hall is a magnificent building. We enjoyed a murder mystery evening meal, but were suffering in the heat until a guest organised a pedestal fan. Coffee & tea were not offered at the end of the meal. Some guests suffered with little sleep as there was not even a fan in their room. Breakfast was rushed as hot food was brought out before we had a chance to eat cereal etc. If we had known the cleaners were going to do our rooms while we were at breakfast we could have packed up first. Very annoyed about this as we had personal stuff, valuables etc in the room. We were a nuisance when we wanted to clean our teeth. Guests need to be properly informed of check in/out times & procedures. Given our experiences we cannot recommend it for a stay.

Room Tip: If hot weather get one with aircon
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff W
Ballina, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Martin dale was a incredibly supercalafragalisticexpialadocious!!! Would go there anytime the rooms were incredibly audacious and the building was maintained very well. The staff were very nice and the food was magnificent. Could of stayed there for weeks!!!

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank James24726
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Let's face it - this is as close to a Downton Abbey experience most of us will ever get!

Adelaide is a lucky city to have this experience less than 2 hours drive away.

I'm surprised by one or two of the reviews here - if you are staying here - you are staying in a museum for the evening.

You'll be dining at the table the tourning English Ashes team dined in 1890 before they played on the Martindale Hall cricket pitch.

Rooms have small beds because these were the actual beds the owners had back in the 1800's when beds were small!

No book on the bookshelf in the pool room dates past World War Two.

There are no ensuites because in the 1800's the owners had no plumbing and servants used to carry out waste (via the back servants passage of course).

Phillipe and Theresa our hosts were delighful - from the tour at the beginning of the evening until way past check in time when Phillipe was still answering questions about the place.

Dress up - the staff encourage you to enjoy yourselves, eat, drink good wine, play pool & lounge in the reception room until the early morning...

... and take that all into account before you book - it's not cheap but in 20 years when many other weekend breaks in more conventional hotels have been forgotten - you'll still be telling friends about Martindale Hall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Matt W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mintaro
Comfort Inn Clare Central
#1 of 1 in Burra
The Mill Apartments
The Mill Apartments
#2 of 16 in Clare

Been to Martindale Hall? Share your experiences!