“Came only for a coffee. . . Stayed for lunch”
Review of Cafe Y - CLOSED

Cafe Y
Cuisines: Greek, Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open Daily 10am-5pm Closed Tuesday Greek Influenced A la Carte & Wood Fired Cuisine. Riverside location overlooking Chateau Yaldara. Select from Extensive Seasonal Menus in the Barossa. Delicious, Filling, Healthy, All Day Dining Options Featuring Cafe Y's Signature Dish Wood Fired Barossa Pork Belly. Other Popular Specialties include The King George Whiting Plate, Chargrilled SA Organic Lamb & Mash, MSA Beef Eye Fillet Steak With Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre Glaze, Creative Salads, Vegan Clay Cooked Moussaka. Seasonal Menus Always Offering Gluten Free, Vegetarian & Vegan Options. Gluten Free & Vegan Dessert Choices too.
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

On way from Burra to Happy Valley in Adelaide to visit friends. Travelled down this little road, had no idea were I was going but needed a coffee mid afternoon.

Found this place at what seemed like end of road.

Sat down and given a menu. Looked for coffee but the mains caught my eye. Ranged from fish to lamb. Greek/ Australian style. Asked wife do you want coffee or lunch (we had not eaten since 8am). Lunch it was.

Had a fish dish and wife had lamb. Both were good servings, well presented and superb in taste.

We shared the Baklava ice cream with fairy floss desert. It too was fantastic. Baklava was light. We could have had one each.

Came back two days later with our hosts from Happy Valley. We all had different mains and deserts. All were fantastic again.

First time here was a Friday, there were only a few people. Second time was a Saturday at normal lunch time. Was busy and a little noisy but service was reasonably quick. Would suggest mid week or late lunch if want a quiet atmosphere.

Will be back when in Adelaide again.

1  Thank GordonAnnette

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The restaurant has plenty of well positioned seating. The staff were polite, attentive and knowlegable even though the lunch time session we attended was busy. The menu is mouthwatering to read & has a good variety of local fair. The prices are very reasonable for the effort & imagination put in to create the dishes. I had the best pizza I think I have ever had, cooked in front of us in the wood oven. Not overdone, no processed ingredients, beautifully tasty marinaded lamb with mediteranean style flavours. I will be recommeding anyone who mentions they will be visiting the Barossa.

1  Thank spooky6500
Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a nice surprise for our wedding anniversary. We were staying in the Barossa and had a recommendation to try Cafe Y and they did not disappoint! Both my wife and I commented how great it is to have wonderful spots like this hidden away and until you find them your missing out! We were met with big smiles and outstanding service and you could feel the passion the family had for this business. Our experience was so great that we are heading there today for another meal and to spend time just enjoying the atmosphere, even if it is 40 degC outside! I certainly recommend them and by the looks of the reviews so do the majority. By the way... Their home made olives were superb and the presentation and size of the servings were spot on. Thanks a million!

1  Thank Trevor F
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I am Gluten intolerant and have just had a meal at Cafe Y. The lamb pizza on a gluten free base was the best I have ever tasted. And I have tasted a lot. Both myself and my husband could not fault our meals.
We don't mind paying for superb food.
Thank you again for your friendly hospitality

1  Thank SupaMum75
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Went for a casual lunch and was disappointed with the food. I had the margarita pizza which had so much garlic that it was practically inedible. My boyfriend had the pasta of the day which was pretty average too. Had a nice view onto a pond but the feel of the place was a bit like an outdated motel, not at all like I expected. I do have to say however that the service was good, staff knew where the food gad come from and were talked about the dishes as they were brought to the table. If only the food and ambience matched to this it could be good.

2  Thank Trish7489
Nicholas A, Owner at Cafe Y, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Since we built our fantastic wood oven just over two and a half years ago we have cooked and served an estimated 14,000 gourmet pizzas, including gluten free and vegan using locally sourced produce and garnished with herbs from our own garden.
The beautifully balanced flavours of our house made sauce, shredded mozzarella, thinly sliced ripe tomato, topped with just the right amount of freshly crushed garlic, fresh bocconcini, grated kefalograviera, oregano and fresh basil on a thin crispy base, make our Margarita Pizza especially popular.
We are only too pleased to add or delete certain ingredients according to diner’s personal preferences.
It is therefore disappointing that this reviewer did not address any dietary concerns directly with our staff nor did she offer any comments positive or otherwise, but chose instead to publish her personal critique on social media. We are however encouraged by the approximately 13999 satisfied pizza diners to continue making gourmet wood fired pizza the way we do. Ditto for the pasta.