“Bompas serves amazing food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Beachport
Bompas of Beachport
Ranked #1 of 2 Beachport B&B and Inns
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Bompas serves amazing food”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family and I (4 adults) went for an evening meal at Bompas, I ordered from the Asian menu and had the best Singapore Noodles I have ever tasted and my family agreed, all of us were more than happy with the excellent quality of the food and wine including the price and we had a lovely friendly lady who served us, particularly enjoyed the artistic tables! Well done Bompas I will visit again and recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Geelong
Reviewed January 28, 2013

When we booked this bed and breakfast we were really excited as it looked interesting. Our experience was indeed ïnteresting". Initial poor reception with no one to check us in, but we were patient and waited for the right person to turn up. Next we were shown to our room, Queen with balcony booked, At 4pm this room was not ready- so we were "upgraded"to King at no charge. On a positive, the bed was of a good quality, beautifully clean and look fine. The rest of the room had not been cleaned for a while. chairs full of dust, flies on carpet which we discovered when we positioned the sofa to watch the television. Breakfast was of a very low standard. An individual box of Cornflakes, full cream carton of UHT milk and two slices of froen toast per person. No tea, no coffee. This was all for the simple cost of $145. I am not amused.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jeanette J
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Well done to the new owners Jeremy + Sarah, Bompas has been revived!! Over many years of traveling back to Beachport, I have never known there to be so much activity and positive energy @ Bompas like this summer 2012/2013!! The beachport community and tourists are embracing an alternate cuisine (chinese) and top quality aussie cafe/ restaurant favourites!!! Marinara pizza with chilli flakes on the side has made its way into my heart and weekly diet :) And to top off a beautiful summer, the live music has rocked!!!! Bompas is the hip place to be, in gorgeous Beachport!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had lunch at Bompas cafe and sat outside, as inside was really noisy.
The items on the menu were fairly pricey, for the size of the portions. We ordered the garfish and chips off of the specials menu and the shark on the normal menu, with a glass of beer and a glass of wine it was over $60.00 for lunch. When the dishes came out, my partners garfish was 2 samll pieces of garfish and my shark was one piece rather small but think.
To be quite honest I would of prefered to have gone through the bottle o, got a bottle of wine and got fish and chips from the local shops and sat on the beach front.
Seems to be a trendy place to go, mainly to drink and not eat.
Have learnt for next visit :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jezzcb, Owner at Bompas of Beachport, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thanks for your review.

Since the low rating was based on the cost of your lunch I think it’s worthwhile checking the figures:

Single serve of gummy shark with beer battered chips & salad: $17
Highest strength glass of beer: $4.70 (Schooners start from $4)
2 piece Garfish special with beer battered chips & side salad: $22
Most expensive glass of wine we offer: $9.00. (Our house red or white is $5.50)
MAXIMUM total for your lunch: $52.70 (minimum $48.50)

So it’s impossible you paid over $60 for the meal you described in your review. Our prices are listed on the boards, the window menus, the tables, and on our website. When charging we read out each item on the bill to the customer to prevent mistakes and we can print an itemized invoice upon request. Subsequent (but perhaps forgotten) rounds of drinks would obviously send the bill over $60.

We don’t like to see anybody go away unhappy, the customer is ALWAYS the priority for us. So we suggest that if anybody has any problems that they first bring it to our attention. Our staff members are always friendly and helpful and can salvage your visit with us a lot better than a low Tripadvisor rating can.

I’m glad you enjoyed other aspects of Bompas and that you would consider coming again, at least for drinks. Should you return to Bompas I’m sure you’ll find it a lot more satisfying.
Pasadena
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Food stay only. Good choice of dishes for lunch. Well presented and good value. The service was very pleasant and good. The outlook from the restaraunt was a very good ocean view. We enjoyed a celebratery luncheon with our host whom we were visiting. We have been to Beachport several times before.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Napier
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I'd call it very plain beach food with restaurant prices. Took 15 minutes for fellow guests to be served after me. Had to ask for cutlery, napkins, water several times each. Food commercially put together and over priced. Very noisy inside. The beachside location is the only ambience. If you can go somewhere else I'd recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013
Jezzcb, Owner at Bompas of Beachport, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thanks for your review.

I remember you and your companions mentioning as you left that the crayfish special you tried was underwhelming. We were very sorry to hear this and to compound the problem; it was the only dish ordered to your table during your visit. You didn’t get a chance to try anything from either of our popular Australian or Asian menus which I believe would have more than offset your disappointment with the crayfish special. The overall feedback over this summer rush (which you arrived in the middle of) has been great, but we regret if this special failed to meet our usual standards.

If you are ever back this way I invite you to try something from our regular menus (both of them can be viewed on our website). I’m sure you’ll find your first visit did not represent the true Bompas experience.

Post summer re-decorations to Bompas will hopefully improve the acoustics in the room you were in but in the meantime we have several other quieter dining areas and both our Australian & Asian menus are available in each of them. The summer rush has also eased off a little since the first few weeks of January so that particular room is no longer as noisy.

I also wish to add that sometimes, during the very busy summer lunch rushes, it may be difficult to get the undivided attention of the runners with their arms full of meals for other tables or taking away empty plates. However, there is always a friendly senior staff member at, or near the counter, only metres from any table. We will always do our best to accommodate any customer needs that are brought to our attention, as noted in other reviews.

We do hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Beachport and the Beautiful Limestone coast.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

On the beach and is nice looking addition onthe side of the old building. Great view, relaxing place. Food was fine, not particuarly generous but just enough...just. Staff were fine although very busy and some tables did not get there order taken in a particularly timely manner as there is also takeaway being attended to. The main reason for the average score is the acoustics are shocking. 20 people in there sounded like 100. The peopel next to us were laughing and being a bit loud but not over the top. The room just amplified the whole lot so basically my wife and I looked out the window the whole time and found it too hard to talk to each other.
Maybe the better choice of eateries in Beachport. We may buy some food and cook in our room tomorrow night.. or just get fish N chips ad eat on the beautiful beach.

Room Tip: Beachport motel is basic but very nice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jezzcb, Owner at Bompas of Beachport, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your review.

Bompas has 5 different dining areas: the Asia House on the west side of the building, the central dining room (fully carpeted and very quiet), the side veranda and patio area directly across from the beach (very popular dining areas this time of year), and the sea view dining room (with the glass walls and half ceiling to take advantage of the views, and the full bar, it is by far the noisiest of our dining areas when busy and is the one you happened to be sitting in. On that night the room would have been full or nearly full which means 50 to 60 people, not the 20 you mentioned.) Both our Australian and Asian menus are available in all areas.

We don’t like to see anybody leave unhappy so we do hope that if someone has a problem they would bring it to our attention. There is always something we can do and, in your case, any of our staff would have been more than happy to move you to one of the four quieter dining areas until you were comfortable. Tripadvisor cannot improve your experience but our friendly and helpful staff can so it makes little sense to publish your concern online if you chose not to bring it to us first.

I’m glad you liked the food and service. Hopefully any subsequent visits to Bompas will be much more satisfying.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beachport
Sandpipers at Millicent
Sandpipers at Millicent
#1 of 3 in Millicent
Bonnies of Beachport
Bonnies of Beachport
#3 of 4 in Beachport
Costa Plenti Southend B&B

Been to Bompas of Beachport? Share your experiences!