“Really good platter, nice restaurant”

Saltram Cellar Door
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Angaston
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: No history of the Barossa Valley or Australian wine industry is complete without the mention of Saltram. Saltram has celebrated the tradition and heritage behind the Barossa Valley, making flagship red wines of great style and taste.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Their platter was the best of half a dozen platters we have had in wineries over the last few weeks. And we had a bottle of their Chardonnay to wash it down

The restaurant is modern, airy and air conditioned. It is noisy as others have said - other customers with out of control children being the main disruptors of the peace.

Service was pleasant without being exceptionally good

Their tasting counter is kept busy, so I did not bother to have a full tasting. It is a slick commercial organisation here - they are owned by the same holding company that owns Wolf Blass

Overall an enjoyable lunch venue which I thought was very good value for money

There are newer reviews for Saltram Cellar Door

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Whoever designed this winery has knocked it out of the ballpark. It is absolutely superb. The very stylish restaurant is annexed off the tasting room, which is elegantly designed and large enough to accommodate thirsty tasters without feeling over-large. The restaurant has wonderful choice, catering for those who just want a light pizza style lunch, AS WELL AS those who feel like a more gourmet experience. They also have a great kids menu. The staff are extremely well drilled and friendly and can't do enough for you. If you eat there they give you a discount of 35% off any wines you purchase. And the wines are really good too. The winery surrounds are very attractive too. I can't think of a thing I'd change to make this place any better.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Saltrams not only has a winery but a great restaurant. We had a nice lunch there recently, starting with their dips which were made onsite, very fresh and beautiful flavours. This then led to the homemade pie for me and a tasty piece of salmon for my partner. The meals were fresh, tasty and went down well with the local beer.

A great place to visit if you are around the area, but make sure you book or you will miss out.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I went here for my birthday in October and heard a great deal about their pizzas. We had drank their wine before and knew we'd be in for a good time.

Set amongst the winery and a beautiful rose garden the restaurant is pretty big thought booking is advisable as was extremely busy with people being turned away.
After a shared starter of homemade dips which were very fresh tasting I had a Pizza (Lamb and rosemary) which was extremely tasty. I was very happy with the flavours and consider it one of the nest pizzas I have had since moving to Australia. Proper Italian thin base, not too bready.

Though known for wine I washed it all down with one of their home-brew ales which was a great accompaniment to the pizza.

Prize reasonable, restaurant clean and staff friendly and helpful though at busy times did have to be prompted to come to the table. There is an option if not booked out to sit in an old cellar just off the restaurant which looks great and very atmospheric with the large old barrels and candles.

Certainly be going back.

1  Thank zuzahandbear
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Four of us ate at the restaurant on 27th December and two mousaka dishes were ordered. My sisters dish was very very watery, like soup. We were offered bread to soak it up! My dish was topped with an excessive amount of cheese - I had to spoon a lot off before eating a tasty dish.
These dishes were not cheap, and frankly we expected a lot better.

3  Thank Bronwyn W