“happy!”

Earls Court Motor Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Southport
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was a very handy location for a family of 5 (or 6) in Southport for a couple of days for Sea World/Movie World, etc. This was one of the few times on our trip that kid #3 had a proper bed, rather than a fold-out bed. There were also 5 dinning room chairs (rather than 4) - something that is rare! Very close to Sea World. Good kitchen and laundry. Staff were very helpful and sorted out a problem very quickly. We were happy here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The only time you would stay here is to visit people in one of the 2 near by hospitals. The rooms are very clean, but very out dated. The mattress I slept on was extremely worn, the tv did not work and one particular worker was extremely rude. Any simple thing I asked for (eg directions) was a real hassle.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Smiddy446
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The owners made us feel at home and they where great. They would organize transport for mum when she needed to go the hospital to visit me. The where great when I couldt travel they also let us book another night. They just made us feel at home.

Room Tip: Room three was good the room are big and roomy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Carol P
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My friend's dad is in hospital there, and her mum, who is NOT a traveller, has been wonderfully supported by the owners, who have even taken her over to the hospital when they can.

They have made every effort possible to help her mum feel at home and welcome all the others who are coming and going during an extremely stressful time for the family.

My friend works in hospitality herself and has seen everything from 1-star to 5-star and says this place is clean, neat and a credit to the owners. She loves the $5 laundry, too.

If "lodging" means to welcome the weary traveller, then this place is worth 5 stars for that alone!

Room Tip: Some rooms have kitchenettes which is helpful if you're going back and forth during the day.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank PattyMacDotComma
Reviewed January 15, 2011

My wife and I are from Gove, Arnhem Land, NT and I looked for accommodation close to the Allamanda Hospital (during peak season rates) I had been staying at a resort on the Broadwater, when I was having tests done for carotid stenosis, but the price jumped from $99pn to $250pn. So I jumped at the $115pn at this motel - close to the hospital, my wife didn't have to drive. After talking to Lynn (manager) the booking was completed for 3 nights. Then I read the reviews!! I thought what have I done to deserve this. The worst reviews I've ever read, and I have been around the world 2 & 1/2 times. We stayed in 33 assorted places in Ireland during 1999, so I think I can assure you, the reader, that those reviews are a trump up. So clean, quiet and friendly staff as you could hope for. As I said, first booking was for 3 nights, but had to be extended a further week (for my wife) whilst I was in hospital, then another 2 nights. Lynn shuffled bookings around so we weren't mucked about. Car park: the undercover car park gives you so much room that gives you the confidence that you won't get door chips. Where else could you do your laundry and drying for 5 bucks? Now the bed. All I can say is that as soon as the head hits the pillow, it's straight off to dreamworld, and we wake up refreshed. And, the new friends we have met, well that's another story. If I was to be pedantic/trivial, then I would suggest to the owners to step up with the digital television installation. Thanks Lynn & david

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank BlueEyesNhulunbuy
Reviewed October 5, 2010

You get what you pay for and generally speaking, when compared to other options for three seperate families who left bookings until the last minute on the last weekend of the school holidays, it was a cheap stay.
Yes the rooms were a little aged but were clean and tidy and serviced each morning.
Our beds were fine though I think one of the other families traveling with us said theirs could be better.
All up each family had three children and booked a family room and we were happy to stay at this motel and a little relieved after reding the other reviews after booking.
We used the BBQ area near the pool for most dinners and there is a family friendly RSL close by for those less organised.
Motel is rated ok for families looking for cheap accommodation close to all attractions.
It is not a five star motel, but then you are not paying for one either!

• Stayed: October 2010
3  Thank nielsent
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Unfortunately, my family and I stayed at the Earls Court Hovel as it was close to the Hospital where my Mother was a patient in ICU. On check-in a family member commented on the convenient location in regards to the hospital to which the manager replied “what hospital” despite it being literally across the road – not a good sign.
The management staff are utterly rude beyond all manner of comprehension. They do not appear to have an adequate facility for checking whether or not guests are in or out of their rooms and offer no alternative means of ensuring you are not disturbed such as Do Not Disturb signs. Having returned to my room at 4am after my Mother had passed away I was awoken by a man entering my room at 0915hrs to which I had to instruct him that I did not want my room serviced just yet, thank-you. A short time later yet another person (a woman this time) knocked on the door and was at least polite and I advised her that we would be going out in about half an hour or so and that they could service the room then and could I please be left alone now thank-you. Within 10 minutes, yet another woman knocked on the door whilst I was on the phone making funeral arrangements. My son answered the door and I quite impatiently told her No Thank-you, could you please just leave me alone and my son closed the door. Within 5 minutes, the manager called us on the internal phone and was verbally abusive to my son, demanding an apology to his staff. Naturally, I put on my shoes in order to go downstairs and confront him about he and his staff’s behaviour when, low and behold he was at my door blocking my exit pointing his finger in my face, shouting at me about my behaviour toward his staff.
I explained that I was very sorry if I had upset his fragile staff by refusing to have my room serviced THREE TIMES and explained why I did not want it serviced i.e. my Mothers passing. To which he replied that I should have told them that and it would have been ok. I explained that as a guest in his or any other hotel/motel accommodation I was under no obligation to explain why I wanted to be left alone and that my request to be left alone should have been both listened to AND respected. I further explained that if their budget had stretched to providing Do Not Disturb signs then, none of this would have happened.
Despite one of its main selling features being the handy proximity to the GC Hospital it follows that there is an increased likelihood of guests being upset; distressed; or at the very least under a lot of stress, the Motel provides neither tissues or do not disturb signs – clearly these are a luxury items at this dump as are taste, class and manners. It clearly has not been decorated since the 80’s and whilst they provide you with toaster, kettle and microwave implying that one can actually eat here, they provide you with one teaspoon and one knife. No separate sink, you have to wash your eating utensils in the bathroom sink next to the toilet – Nice! One ply toilet paper – really! The RACQ guy chatting up the resident prostitute with the broken down car was also a delightful touch! The lumpy, banana shaped mattress is the least of your worries.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
7  Thank cass1aus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southport
Meriton Suites Southport
Novotel Surfers Paradise
Novotel Surfers Paradise
#14 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Jadran Motel & El Jay Holiday Lodge

Been to Earls Court Motor Inn? Share your experiences!