“This hotel is a bad joke ..please read on”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Oaks Mon Komo

Oaks Mon Komo
Bangkok, Thailand
“This hotel is a bad joke ..please read on”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had a standard room, #1007, well sized room but without the usual provisions for storage; i.e. a place to unpack an average sized suitcase. Unpacking from floor level wasn’t the most comfortable way to do it. Eventually I discovered an undersized fold-up luggage stand in the wardrobe. The left side of the wardrobe had 2 hanging rails; the electric fuse box plus a fold-up 4-foot ironing board made it simply impossible to hang up a jacket etc. Access to the center section of the wardrobe was obstructed by the sliding doors – thus 2 out of 3 wardrobe portions were unusable. The desk was so narrow to just about hold the TV and the stereo set & DVD player. To get my 13’ laptop going I had to remove the TV and the stereo,but where to - there was no other surface to place them on. I moved the rusty round table from the very narrow balcony + a balcony chair into the room. Finally sitting down at the desk, the leg room width was narrower than a budget airline seat. Discomfort was further compounded by the fact that cables where hanging 15 cm down in front of me. The ultra small bedside tables featured oversized bedside lamps; the consequence was so little space, you couldn’t place a paperback or a mobile phone next to you.The same goes for the overall spacious bathroom. The ledge above the wash basin was so narrow, you can't even place a normal sized toiletry bag on it. By the way, the room door would not shut completely. And now to the next joke: The receptionist had earlier told me that I could charge meals to my room using the in-house restaurant. So I ordered a beer at the bar counter and wanted to charge it to my room. There are 2 cashier points at that side of the bar. Onefor cash payment the other one for in-house charge & self-service food orders - however it was out of order. In order to verify house guests printed lists are used. As I wasn't on their list, and the barman also was not able to verify that I had checked-in. I decided to order food from the same bar counter .this time a rather curt lady told me that for food I need to order it from yet another cashier point .I followed her, she then simply walked away and.another waitress re-directed me to the very first counter.only to be told again that this was the wrong counter for ordering food. By then my appetite was gone. I did voice my impressions that first evening to the receptionist who had checked me in, and she offered to change me next day to a larger room/apartment. I gracefully declined - .going by the experiences of my standard room I had no confidence in any larger room. Next morning, another receptionist enquired about my premature check-out, and I gave a her a synopsis of my several reasons for it. This lady was not only defensive to the extreme, she kept interrupting me and she also said that I was offered a room change the night before which is simply not true. She also told me that there are no facilities to charge drinks/meals at the restaurant to the room, as the restaurant was NOT part of the hotel – again in total conflict to the information received upon check-in. It appears to me that both management and owners know very little about guests’ needs and basic functional requirements.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Michael P
OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback from you stay at OAKS Mon Komo.

It is disappointing to read that your time here provided you with such a negative experience.

In regards to the issues with the room, I can confirm that the room type offered was the room type booked. If there were any additional requirements or specific needs, we would have been more than happy to accommodate you accordingly at the time of booking.

I can also confirm that on the night in question the receptionist did offer you an alternate room option. We are always happy to offer assistance where possible if a guest is dissatisfied with their accommodation. On this particular night, our occupancy did allow you the option of an upgrade, where there would have been sufficient facilities to put you luggage and laptop. It is unfortunate that you did decline this offer. I can also confirm that the receptionist even made contact with your booking agent (on a Saturday night) to confirm that we could offer you a room move immediately.

I cannot respond specifically on your comments about the service at the bar, as OAKS Mon Komo & the Mon Komo Hotel are two completely separate run businesses. Your remarks have been passed onto the owners and management of the bar. Having said that, we do offer a charge back facility with them, and have done so since the day we opened. While I will follow up with the staff member in question that apparently said we do not offer this service, I do believe that this may have just been a break down in communication. As mentioned, this is a service we provide to all guests and all staff are fully aware of this facility.

While it is never favourable to receive negative feedback, I can assure you that we take all comments seriously. We are here to provide all guests will the best experience possible and your comments will serve us with valuable information moving forward to offer the best product possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Toowoomba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I had 2 nights in Oaks Mon Komo Redclifffe in May. We had a one bedroom apartment with an ocean view and view of settlement cove. The unit was clean, modern,and well maintained. We found staff to be very friendly.
Located in the heart of Redcliffe with shops and restaurants at your door step and walks along the esplanade immediately across the road.
The balcony was enormous with tables and chairs for dining and a comfortable lounge suite for sitting back with a glass of wine and watching the sunset.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view-ask for a balcony overlooking the water.
OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking ther time to comment on your stay at OAKS Mon Komo. We appreciated your favourable remarks about the apartment and staff. The 1 bed ocan view apartments definitely offer a great view of Moreton bay and the surrounding area and sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine, watching the sunset sounds like a perfect way to end the day.

Thanks again for staying. We look forward to seeing you again at OAKS Mon komo.
Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

I booked on line and pre paid the full amount (non refundable) for a room at this hotel a month in advance specifically because it was hosting a launch party for an event we were participating in – the Redcliffe Kite Fest.

The first surprise was having to give an additional $150 deposit on my credit card – which became even more interesting because there was no mini bar in the room.

The second surprise was there were no luggage trolleys available to transport my business cases from the level B2 car park to my room on the 10th floor. If I only had a single suitcase with wheels, it would have been no big deal. But I had several heavy cases to transport – and none had wheels. After waiting around for more than 20 minutes, the reception staff was still unable to locate a trolley. They were very apologetic but rather than continue to waste time I started making trips from the second level car park, up the lift, to my room on the 10th floor. A good 40 minutes later, reception rang me to announce they had finally located a trolley – which I gratefully used for the last trip.

After finally getting all of my belongings from the car into the room, I went down to the lounge to wait for my husband’s arrival. I ordered a glass of wine and asked if I could put the charge on my room – thinking the hotel already had a $150 deposit. The bar staff wanted me to give my credit card AGAIN for an additional deposit – so I chose to to pay the $8 in cash and be done with it.

The third surprise was NONE of the staff I asked – reception, bar and dining – had any idea where the launch party for the festival was to be held – even though there was a large sign on the window promoting the event. Eventually a different staff member starting putting up petitions in the lounge area and I asked THAT person if this is where the launch party would be held. The response was “I think so”. So much for having your staff know what’s happening at the hotel.

The room itself was clean and new – but it lacked a few amenities that one would expect for a hotel in this price range. I’ve mentioned no mini bar. The bathroom was large and modern but the ledge over the sink was so narrow it would not hold a woman’s make-up bag or a men’s shaving bag. The usual sign asking guests to help save water by reusing the towels was there – but there was no hook on the back of the door to hang a wet towel. How much does a hook cost?

There was a balcony – if you could call it that – but it was so narrow that if you sat in the chair at the table outside one elbow would be hanging over the barrier and the other would be inside the hotel room. The tiny metal table that was on the balcony was rusting at the bottom and it left rust stain marks on the floor.

The hotel is new and had a modern feel to it. The dining menu was fairly ordinary and a bit expensive for ordinary sounding meals.

On a more positive note, the bed was comfortable, the room had a nice view and the parking was free.

Room Tip: Be prepared to carry your own luggage. The hotel has a non party policy, meaning no loud noises fro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay.
In regards to the $150 pre authorisation, this is a standard procedure that OAKS impliments across all of it's properties. There are a number of additional charges that a guest may allocate to their room account, such as meals, dry cleaning etc. not just a mini bar. Hence the reason for the hold.

I can assure you that the lack of a luggage trolley was an isolated incident. I have never not been able to access one when needed. (it was myself who was running around looking for one for you). Having said this I do apologise that you had to carry all your bags unaided. I should of took it upon myself to offer some assisstance, given the fact that we were unable to locate a trolley for you.

I do believe that the staff in the lounge bar were not asking for an 'additional' deposit as such, but offering to start a tab, which would require holding onto the credit card. The bar do not need any additional deposit to charge back to the room account.

Obviously OAKS as a company do try their best to conserve energy where possible. this does include unnecessay washing of linen. All apartments are fitted with towel racks that are able to hold multiple items. I will definitely follow up your feedback about the hooks, and look at potentially installing them on the backs of the doors. We always take seriously any recomdations that may make the guests experience even better.

Again thank you for commenting on your stay. Your feedback is important to us and serves as an invaluable source of information that will ensure we continue to improve our operation and service standards.
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

We recently stayed in a 2 bed apartment - we loved the room very spacious and modern and
there was all the equipment needed for a self catering holiday . Location is good and only a few minutes walk to the beach

You will need a car to stay here , it is difficult to get to via public transport and I think this needs to be made clear in the hotel information. It requires 2 trains and a bus from the airport and a train and bus from CBD . A taxi from CBD to the hotel cost us $110.

Men will also need a pair of long trousers and shoes if you want to use the Hotel Bar after 9pm, we were not aware of this prior to our stay and was requested to move into the other restaurant area even though we were residents

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay at OAKS Mon Komo. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilites the apartments have to offer.
Unfortunately there are no direct transport links from the city to Redcliffe, which can make it a bit more challenging depending on the time of day. Our front office staff are always more than happy to provide you with the best options available for getting around the area.

Thank you again ofr staying and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

For a good modern bar in Redcliffe, you cannot go past Mon Komo.

Prices are up there for drinks but to be expected, it is the flashiest bar in the area. Service is OK but can be stepped up a bit and the meals are alright but nothing special.

It's a great location with a very nice fit out which is Carribean Themed and they play the usual late night tunes to fire the crowd up. All in all a pretty good place to drink

OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to povide feedback about the Mon Komo Hotel. it is great to hear that you enjoyed the venue. OAKS Mon Komo & the Mon Komo Hotel are definitely leading the way in accomodation and entertainment throughout the region.

I will pass on the comments to the Venue Manager.

Thank you again for proving feedback.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Fabulous value for money. Very friendly and helpful staff...especially Casey...I think her name was. Very clean, we'll positioned and comfy beds. We usually stay in the city but decided to stay somewhere different......my husband said it was gonna be a dive because of the price but he was pleasantly surprised. Free parking too the only downside was no free wifi...but the girl suggested going to the hotel behind for a drink and free wifi.

OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay. It is great to hear the positive comments about the staff. I will pass on the feedback to Casey.

Please think of us again, any time you want to take a break away from the city.

Regards,
Redcliffe, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

While I think the accommodation at oaks is amazing I think the restaurant is dreadful. We have been there three times and each time is so disappointing. The bar staff in the afternoon are so slow and basically offers no customer service at all. The tables are always left a mess from previous customers. The food is expensive. Yesterday afternoon we got the antipasto platter for two and got some of dip, Alioi with something added to it. The deli meats were ham and pastrami, and the cheese were feta cubes, if you are going to charge good money I expect good food in return. The atmosphere is great. It just a shame your staff let you down. It could be quite a happening place in redcliffe however we won't be returning back to experience it. I have heard the night crew are amazing so maybe you need them in the afternoon shift too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donna C
OaksMonKomo, Manager at Oaks Mon Komo, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for both, OAKS Mon Komo & the Mon Komo Hotel. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the accomodation that OAKS provided you. We welcome you back at any time.
It is however dissapointing to hear that your time at the Mon Komo Hotel was not to the standard and expectation that they strive for. As we are seperately run buisinesses, I am unable to provide specific comments in response to your feedback.

Please see the Managment reply from the Mon Komo Hotel:

'Thanks for your feedback in relation to your dining experience at Mon Komo Hotel. We pride ourselves on a high level of service and it is disappointing to hear we have not succeeded during your time at the hotel. Please be assured your comments have been passed on to the Operations Manager to discuss further with all team members. Our Team Members are rostered through a rotating roster of day and night shifts, so it is difficult to differentiate between the staff. We do now have a new Restaurant Manager on board, with a strong focus on Customer service who is currently training and retraining all staff in this area. In regard to the menu items, we are currently launching a new menu which is based on feedback received from our guests and we are excited with the changes being implemented. We hope you will return in the future so we are able to show you the level of service that we expect.

If you wish to discuss this further I would be more than happy to pass on any details to their management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcliffe
LaVida on Anzac
Tangalooma Island Resort
Tangalooma Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Tangalooma
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews

Been to Oaks Mon Komo? Share your experiences!