“Stay somewhere else.”

Best Western Ipswich
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Ipswich
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The promotional photos and description make this place sound better than it actually is. We stayed for 4 nights, family of 2 adults and 1 child, and the sheets weren't changed once, the bathroom not cleaned daily or properly, and we had to keep asking for toilet paper. We did not find the rooms airy and luxurious, they were small and we had to have the light on during the day because it was dark with them off. There is a laundry but unless all your clothes can go in a dryer there is no-where safe to hang your clothes to air dry. You also have to pay for the internet connection, but this charge was not listed in their compendium. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna S
Management response:Responded May 12, 2013

Thank you for your review.
One of the problems of running an accommodation facility is that we have to try to please everybody. This is just not humanly possible, and we regret that on this occasion we have failed.
Rooms are serviced daily, linen is changed after the 4th day, and there is always spare toilet paper in the bathroom vanity unit.
Broadband is not free, as was explained to your husband at check-in, and the fact of a charge is mentioned twice in the compendium.
There is a free clothes line, and in seven years we have had no thefts or disappearances from it. We would have supplied a clothes airer had you asked for one.
The photographs on all our websites are not enhanced, and are true representations of our rooms, as other guests often tell us.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I was amazed at the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Evan and Jenny were strangers, but after the first night I felt like I'd made new friends!! I was worried about noise being so close to a main road, but surprisingly the room is virtually soundproof. (I had a room on the top floor above the pool). There were a few sirens here and there but that cannot be controlled by the motel.

The room was bigger than I thought it would be, appeared to have been recently done up and if I could have snuck the bed into my bags I would have brought it home with me, it was so comfortable.

The housekeeping staff were friendly and patient, and were willing to accommodate the fact I was in the room when they came to service it.

The meals were devine, room service breakfast perfectly on time, best scrambled eggs I've ever had. Breakfast on the first morning in the dining room was lovely, Evan went out of his way to make me comfortable, and to ensure I had a full tummy. The mixture of crispy bacon and non-crispy bacon was perfect. My steak in the restaurant for dinner was perfectly cooked, tender and filling. The company was great also. :-)

Overall I was made to feel like a very welcome guest, Evan and Jenny were ever so helpful in assisting me to find activities in the area as I'd gone away on a whim and had nothing planned. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there, and look forward to returning again.

It was nice to feel like I was treasured, instead of just a paying guest. I stayed for three nights, but felt so refreshed and relaxed it was like I'd been away for a week!

Thank you so much for the PERFECT weekend getaway! I'll be back for sure!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Management response:Responded May 12, 2013

Hi Yazz
Thanks for the great review.
We look forward to seeing you back here soon.
Jenny & Evan

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our room was reasonably clean and well presented - attractive clean bedding and quite modern bathroom. The front door opened right onto the car park which seemed a bit old fashioned but was very handy for getting the luggage inside!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

The room looked nothing like the promotional pictures; instead of light and airy, it was dark depressing brick.

I was there for nearly two weeks and the cleaning was a joke; beds made though no clean sheets, they don't do dishes or dusting.

The lounge was unusable because it was so uncomfortable.

The bathroom was invaded by bugs at night.

I paid extra for a self contained unit, though the provisions were so poor you couldn't prepare much; not even a knife or chopping board.

The iron was broken and damaged my clothes.

God glad I'm out of there

The room service meal I has was nice.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This motel has probably been there since the 60s or 70s but has been recently refurbished. The rooms are clean, and those at the back away from the main road are quieter than those near the pool and main road. Speaking of the pool this is the one feature that my family really enjoyed - going for a refreshing swim before breakfast each day.

Other than that it is a standard motel. All rooms have split system aircons, hairdryers, irons and some rooms include a microwave, but no crockery or cutlery, so if you want to eat your own breakfast cereal then bring your own plate and spoon or borrow some from the restaurant.

The bed was comfortable enough, however it seemed that the springs were a little out of shape - there was a dip near the top of the bed perhaps where some person exceeding the bed's weight limit had sat previously! The duna was a little too warm in the Brisbane summer night even with the aircon switched on. We found a thinner blanket in the wardrobe and used that instead.

Room Tip: The rooms downstairs at the back of the motel away from the main road are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed November 4, 2012

After traveling from Tweed to Bundaberg and back over six weeks, with 10 different stops, this was by far the best experience I enjoyed. To the extent, I overstayed my visit by 2 nights. To get more rest and recharge and invite my family to catch up with me there.

My first thoughts was it was on the expensive side, then I saw my room/apartment, and for what I paid for that, I was very happy. The rooms have just been renovated and the bedding was just so deadly to the body, to the point of laying down for a quick nap resulted in a four hour sleep, and my missing the Piano Bar restaurant that night and having to suffer with takeaway.

I even uncovered the bedding to find the brand of mattress, protectors, underlay and pillows, for my own bed at home. If only I could replicate it, I might have saved my self a few nights stay of cash!

The next night sleep was definitely brought on by the dinner at the Piano Bar, perfectly cooked Barramundi with a divine Roasted Capsicum sauce, fresh veggies steam to just sweet and crunchy, best healthiest meal I have had at a Motel. Value for money for taste v's weight!!
I felt so good after dinner, I even went out of the norm and ordered dessert!

At first, I thought over priced, then the meal spoke for itself, We love to pay for good food. Dessert, Apple Pie, was again, I thought expensive. Then it was presented first class, a serving that was spoiling yourself silly, yet not ruining the entire evening.

A few rums after dinner, I slept in the air con room, to my own cd music & Discovery Animal Channel in the background. One of the only hotels with TV that you can actually work.
Why go home?

The next morning, Continental Breakfast was all I needed because of the variety. It was all fresh, cold, clean and well presented, lounge to enjoy morning news and coffee afterwards, internet to keep the kids busy while you read the paper, or there is the glorious pool, that can't be seen from the road and has been hidden by clusters of palms, that swirl up the breeze.

My 13 yr son was perfectly occupied, taking photos of the gardens, talking to staff and living in the pool. I was happy with a book waiting for the bar to open again.

It was a fantastic stay, and will be staying there again for sure.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that suits people! If you like space, as for an apartment for a few dollar...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Ipswich Country Motel
#1 of 1 in Springfield Lakes
Woodlands of Marburg
Woodlands of Marburg
#1 of 1 in Marburg

Been to Best Western Ipswich? Share your experiences!