“Comfortable, clean, cheap, convienient to the city (air conditioner is a shocker tho')” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Metro Hotel Ipswich International

Metro Hotel Ipswich International
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Ipswich
Maclean NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The Metro is in the middle of the city and is very convenient to ... everywhere actually. Just be careful of the one way streets getting to it. They're everywhere too. When the unfriendly woman at the counter tells you to go down the side lane to reach the underground car park she literally means go out the drive and make a direct turn onto the paved lane-way directly at the side of the building.

We arrived on Saturday 1/March/2014 and were allowed, by the woman at the receptionist desk, that I obviously interrupted doing something far more important than greeting guests, into our room at 1pm rather than have to wait until 2pm which was great as we had travelled some distance. There was an iron and ironing board in the room which we needed in order to get our gear ready for the party we were attending that night. The iron is new and clean as it the board.

The bed is comfortable as is the pillows. The TV and the tea and coffee facilities are all there and a cupboard for hanging your clothes. The bathroom has a bathtub which is always a bonus as far as I'm concerned. The room was clean and comfortable as is the bed, another bonus. There is an elevator serving patrons from the car park to their individual floors which is great too. That makes getting to your room really easy.

A couple of things were disappointing;

The air conditioner is a shocker ! Just DON'T stay here in Summer is all. Paying $$$ to stay in a room you simply expect the air con to work. It does work here but only barely. It cuts itself off and takes FOREVER to cool the room down and is noisy.

There is no access to wifi on floor one. I didn't 'buy' their wifi because I had my own but I could not get a signal. Access to wifi, everywhere I travel, is my utmost priority and if I'd have known I could not get wifi at the Metro with my own dongle, we probably would not have stayed there. I refuse to pay the absolute outrageous prices all motels insist on charging for wifi. I have learned to ask that from now on when I book. Just because they have wifi, does not necessarily mean YOUR wifii is going to get a signal.

Breakfast is served form 7.30 onwards and you cannot get an earlier tray sent to your room. If you come from NSW this means to you, the earliest you are going to get breakfast is 8.30 am. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? By 8.30 half our day is gone !! So we were fairly annoyed that we could not have breakfast, that's part of the fun' of staying in a motel, right? But we had to get moving and because it was Sunday when we left, literally the whole city is either sleeping in with the motel staff or maybe at church. Due to the motorway, it was Tweed Heads before we stopped for breakfast. I have never, ever stayed in a motel where breakfast did not start at 6am. Down right laziness, if you ask me.

The woman working the reception desk should not be. The first question, that I was about to ask her of course was, where do I park the car. She abruptly cut off my question to give me directions to the car park, which were actually unclear to me, but I did not want to ask her again because obviously she was in a hurry or she would not have cut me off, right? My next question was about breakfast times. Well, you'd swear I had asked her, were they supplying opium. Her abrupt answer to the possibility of getting an earlier breakfast served to our room was downright rude. As we checked out the next morning I asked her something else. The terseness of her answer prompted my husband to question what I had done in order to make her so rude to me.

We have family living in that city now and will travel there often, aside from the little issues we encountered and despite the convenience and comfort of the room that woman's attitude will ensure we will never interrupt her again. Trust me on this.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you are looking for a friendly person to assist you with anything, or if it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Blujinja

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I'll start at the end and work back from there. The breakfast was excellent and great value. My partner ordered eggs Benedict for $13.50 (!!) and it was a huge serve with home made, that's right, *home made* hollandaise sauce. I was very jealous but my delicious salmon and asparagus omelet was a satisfactory substitute. The staff were pleasant and courteous and the rooms clean, comfortable and modern. Overall, excellent value, we will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank ILT_NQ
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was back in my hometown for a three-day weekend to attend a reunion. I travelled alone and wanted a central spot. The Metro was perfect. It was quiet and extremely convenient to town, everything you need is within an easy walk. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. There are a few niggles such as pump pack soap and shampoo and no free wifi (but seriously does anyone who travels these days not at least have 3G). I only saw one staff member in my entire stay and that was at check in which was fast and no hassle. I'll leave others to debate the merits of Ipswich as a travel destination but if you're looking for a travel resort perhaps you need to consider not just another hotel but a different locality. However, if you are visiting Ipswich and need somewhere to stay at a reasonable price I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel....

Room Tip: A room on the top floor at the front of the hotel (facing away from the CBD) will ensure a quiet sta...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank smallg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very clean and modern. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to excellent restaurants and attractions. Bed was comfortable. My wife and I would definitely stay again when traveling to Ipswich.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dshirvo
Gold Coast Hinterland, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The problem with the Metro is its location - Ipswich. This is really an outer suburb of brisbane trying desperately to be a city but the reality is that outside of business hours no-one is there. The place is a ghost town with the old vim and vigour of the city centre (I grew up there 40 years ago) given over to those who inhabit the mega shopping centres and more exciting locations.

The hotel is very nice, the staff were friendly and efficient, the breakfast menu was interesting and food of high quality, You just don't want to be there unless you have to!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BMJAK
Ted4305, Manager at Metro Hotel Ipswich International, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am so pleased that you choose Metro Hotel Ipswich International while you were in Ipswich. We are always grateful when guests take the time to share feedback. I will ensure the team get your views on what they control the service and quality at the the Hotel. When you do need to return be assured a friendly welcome awaits you.
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on a business trip. Staff were polite enough, but could have been a little more engaging. WiFi was not free. It was a 30 degC day and the Air Conditioning was not yet put into service...made for a hot and uncomfortable night. The rooms were clean and functional, and insulation between rooms was not as one would expect - I could hear both of my neighbours. Breakfast was included and was more than adequate. The price point was ok, but I reckon that one could do better.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Pat D
First, I want to thank you for your feedback. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We will carefully evaluate your comments to see what can be done better in the future, our only goal is to continually improve.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed for two nights at the Metro on business. The check-in was quick and efficient. The room was on the forth floor, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was fine, the bar was good and the lamb shanks from the restaurant were great value and superb. The staff I had contact with were all very easy to communicate with and friendly. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Spooku2
Ted4305, General Manager at Metro Hotel Ipswich International, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Spooku2

I am always pleased to receive feedback when my guests stay and especially when I able to relate the positive comments back to my Team. The new restaurant menu is proving very popular and the Lamb shanks are the most popular item, so you did choose well although I believe the feedback has been positive for all items.

Thank you for taking the time to give us you feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit Ipswich

Ted Matthews
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ipswich
Quest Ipswich Serviced Apartments
Metro Hotel Tower Mill On Wickham Terrace
BEST WESTERN Ipswich
BEST WESTERN Ipswich
#6 of 7 in Ipswich

Been to Metro Hotel Ipswich International? Share your experiences!