“highlight of Rainbow”

Half-Day Kayak with Dolphins and 4WD Beach Drive from Rainbow Beach
Ranked #1 of 12 Tours in Rainbow Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Epic tours include- Dolphin view kayak tours, surf lessons, kitesurfing lessons, Stand Up Paddle lessons, Turtle kayak tours, sandboard & surf hire.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This wasn't my first experience at a surf school, but it was definitely the best. It is the perfect spot for long easy rides. Good equipment, fun instructors and an adventure drive down the beach thrown in too.

1  Thank James G
in 3 reviews
"highlight of our trip"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a surf lesson for one morning and were told to be there at 6am. We showed up at 5:50am, waited an entire hour outside the shop waiting and no one showed up for our lesson. We went back in the daytime to rebook for the following day and the shop owner had no excuse for the no show (even though it was St. Patrick's day the day before). We had already pre paid $55 each as well.

The next morning we went and brought another one of our friends with us who hadn't paid for the lesson yet. On the drive there the surf instructor driving the vehicle was going WAY too fast on the soft sand and crashed into a post sending us flying and bumping into each other in the back of the truck. It was a pretty severe accident and all of us got out since the truck was ruined and wouldn't make it to the beach. Not to mention it was only bench seating in the back with no seat belts.

We sat and waited in the park for an hour for help to come. When another guy showed up he offered to take us surfing anyway. My one friend and I weren't into it anymore and were pretty shaken up but we went anyway since the other few boys still wanted to. The surf instructor was good, however we were only out there for an hour unlike the "3 hour surf lesson" we were supposed to get.

When we got back we felt like along with not showing up the one morning, the car accident, the short surf lesson, and the Inconvenience we had gone through we deserved some kind of refund. We talked to the owner Shaun about it and he was so rude and dismissing! He blatantly asked us "What would I be giving you a refund for?". I felt like we were being taken complete advantage of. He wouldn't even discuss a refund or any kind of compensation until my friend paid full price first. She had also hurt her wrist in the accident and a few days later my shoulder became difficult to move. He treated us like children and made us feel bad for something his company screwed up on.

In the end my friend did not pay because her dad put his foot down about it, and the owner angrily took out a 50 and tossed it to us in haste. So my boyfriend and I ended up paying $30 each for a horrible day. It wouldn't have been so bad if he knew how to treat his customers with respect and not take advantage of people.

I would never recommend anyone going to this place. I know it may be the only surf shop in tiny Rainbow Beach, but I would say see Fraser Island and surf elsewhere!

3  Thank alanaaa24
Tyron v, Owner at Epic Ocean Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thankyou for your review. I would like to say that you were booked in for Monday March 18th, not the Sunday of St Patricks day. I am not sure where the wires got crossed but this is what we had booked in.
In response to the drive in the vehicle. Firstly i would like to make it clear that all of our vehicles are made to make strict 6 month inspections by the Department of Transport QLD and all seat belts are fitted and in complete working order. I would also like to make aware that these were shown to you before departure as is with everyone when entering the vehicles.
During the trip on the freshwater track there was a soft section on the entry to teewah beach which has bollards to keep traffic from both directions separate. The instructor, as needed increased speed a little to avoid getting stuck in the soft sand and slid for a short distance and hit a bollard. Firstly, even though a small and slight impact had been made he made sure everyone was ok. At no stage did anyone in the vehicle let the instructor know of any concerns even on his persistent attention.
As the owner I was made aware of the incident and then immediately drove to where you guys were located. After checking on all participants and then on the vehicle i found a small ding on one of the tyre rims but nothing else. I then made a full apology and i was very sorry that the incident had happened as it is the only accident we have ever had. I explained that i would be able to either take them back with a full refund or i could take them surfing as the waves were very good and i was keen to get them surfing and still give them a great experience.
Everyone insisted they would like to go surfing and no one again had given me any indication of injury.
Once at the point, we went through standard safety and beach instruction and entered the water. Normally our 3 hour trip consists of 20 minutes travel, 2 hours in the water and 20 minutes travel back. After 1.5 hours of catching some great waves everyone was very tired because the group was so small, so they caught a lot of waves and the waves were also very long. They had used up a lot of their energy. The girls were first to leave the water and i remained with the 1 fellow for another 15 minutes until he was spent too. The total time was 1.45hrs instead of 2hrs and this was completely because the group were too tired to surf anymore.
At the return of the trip i again apologised for the accident and time waiting and all participants seemed happy as they indicated the surf had completely made up for it. It was then after i had left to wash out that they had entered the shop with their father demanding full refunds. We were at first reluctant to give the refund as i had given the option to return with full refund but all participants insisted they wanted to continue with the lesson. We were not so much upset that we had worked half the day and refunded everybody but more upset that it wasn't until the small group of 3 had waited until the lesson had finished and i had left before voicing any concerns they had with the tour.
The American father was very abusive and was demanding full refunds or he would take the matter to the police. The 2 girls whom participated in the lesson stood quietly behind him and any attempts for the staff to try and get some feedback from them were shut down by the father. They were not at all able or willing to talk to us and the father was not at all interested in hearing anything we had to say. I can not guess what the girls had told the father but, i do understand that if they had told him they had been in an accident that he would be very concerned. Even if it was minor.
So in closing, we were very sorry that the trip there had caused concern and we hope we were still able to give a positive experience with the surf lesson. This has been our first and only accident and all instructors and tour guides are fully qualified as per our insurance guidelines.

Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Contacted these guys from our hostel to book a $19 surf lesson. There are posters everywhere advertising this in all of the hostels in Rainbow Beach.

They said they're not sure how to charge $19 as it normally costs $36. They'll find out how and call the hostel back within 30 minutes. Two hours later, no one had called back.

We tried calling again as we wanted to have our lesson the following day and knew that other schools run at strict times to ensure 'good surf'. No answer.

Early the next morning we called and they said come on down at 10am and just pay $19 each for a hour and a half lesson.

We arrived at 9:50 and were told they didn't know who was running the lesson today as she couldn't get hold of any of the instructors.

Two other girls who were also supposed to have the lesson got their money back. We offered to wait an hour and go at 11am instead as today was the only day we could do it.

We waited for an hour and were told at 11am some useless story that an instructor is doing a surf award or something so he couldn't run the 1.5 hour lesson today. But he could do the 3 hour one which costs over twice the price.

We were offered some weak discount to encourage us to go on the other lesson but by this point we had no faith in the company running the Mickey Mouse operation.

I'm sure it's fun if they can actually find an instructor to run their lessons.

Also, they have no safe, so all those valuable are expected to be left on the beach.

Good luck.

3  Thank pwest13
Tyron v, Owner at Epic Ocean Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Unfortunately all of what you are saying is not true at all. We run a very professional business here and our previous comments and facebook page will back that up. First of all we would like to apologies for 1 of the lessons that was cancelled as this week was the week that our instructors get re qualified for their surf bronze medallion which is a once a year requirement for us to run a safe environment for our customers. We were then offering you the 3 hour lesson as an upgrade as it was late afternoon and the instructors were available. The 3 hour lesson involves a 20 minute beach drive past the coloured sands and into the great sandy national park where we conduct the lessons on a point known as Double Island Point (australias longest wave) the usual rrp is $55 so you were actually getting a pretty good deal. Times do change with the surf lesson because if you didnt know, the surf has a lot to do with the tides, wind, and direction and we need the low tide to access Double Island Point. It is unfortunate that we had to cancel the 1.5hr lesson at the front beach but i make no apologies for keeping my staff fully qualified.
Sorry to you see you so upset from missing out, enjoy your travels.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just hired a board from them the guys in the shop were so friendly I had a great surf. They gave me heaps of tips on surfing too!!!

1  Thank luke n