“Great staff, good spot in Rainbow Beach”
Review of Pippies Beachhouse

Pippies Beachhouse
United Kingdom
“Great staff, good spot in Rainbow Beach”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I liked Pippies a lot, it has a laid back relaxed feel and the staff are awesome. I stayed in 2 different rooms on the different nights I was there and I recommend when booking to ask for a room away from the kitchen as it was very noisy one of the nights I was there, unfortunately. Nice to have the free wifi but would have been useful to know that it was only half an hour free. Lots of extras like free tour to Carlos Sandblow.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that are not near the kitchen if you want more quiet
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Pippies Beachhouse is a great little hostel, friendly staff, clean rooms and bathrooms and an adequate kitchen. The dorm room we were in was very hot and a little cramped, there was a fan but it didn't reach our beds, but being in the tropics all the hostels will be hot and few have air conditioning so you just have to get used to it. After our Fraser trip we upgraded to a private double room which was great, it had a ceiling fan and was in another part of the hostel with a communal lounge so definitely worth it as a treat after 2 nights of camping on Fraser. There is also a small swimming pool and a large courtyard with lots of picnic tables to chill out or eat on.

We also did the 3 day 2 night Fraser Island tour with Pippies, we had a great time and met some great people, there are pros and cons to this tour and I wouldn't say it's the best tour on offer but you'll still have fun.

Pros - they have their own campsite on Fraser with cooking facilities, premanantly set up tents and access to toilets and showers in the neighbouring campsite, some other tours don't have this.
- It's a 4wd tag-a-long tour so you get to have a go at driving and your not stuck on a big coach, although there are 8 people to each car so it can be a little cramped.

Cons - The tour guide Linc was a huge let down! He was only interested in flirting with the single girls and getting back to the campsite nice and early so everyone could start drinking. He didn't really tell us anything about Fraser Island other than a huge talk about how dangerous the dingoes are, understandably for safety issues but he made the whole group either petrified of dingoes or wanting to kill them (a pretty bad conservation message). I've spoken to people on other tours who have said how amazing and knowledgable their tour guides were telling them lots of stories and showing them glowing sand on the beach at night and really interacting with the group. Our tour guide didn't even speak to us personally on the whole trip, he didn't ask us our names or do any ice breakers/introductions so that everyone new each others names. I was in Australia for 10 months and did many tours, Linc is by far the worst tour guide i've experienced.
- We didn't get to go to the Champagne Pools, somewhere I had been really looking forward to, this was partly due to the tides and we were told if we went there we might end up there until late afternoon, this could have been avoided by us leaving earlier in the morning.
- You have to buy your own food for this tour which you're suppose to do with the people who are in your car, unfortunately some of our group were pretty fussy resulting in us all buying seperate food and spending more than expected.

Regardless of the above we still had a good time, if your looking for a party tour and one with guaranteed toilets and showers then go for Pippies. If you want to experience the real Fraser Island and don't mind sleeping in a tent on the beach without toilets then you'll probably get a much better Fraser Island experience with another tour.

I wish I could put this review elsewhere but there is nowhere to review the tour so I had to put it on here under the hostel. This is also the first tour i've been on that doesn't give out feedback forms when people finish the tour.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelbug_vm
Wales
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Lovely hostel, great friendly staff! Rooms are basic but clean, not all have air con so request if you want it! We did and they accommodated with no questions asked!

We stayed in the rock n roll room, best room I'd say! Rooms 1234&5 are behind the kitchen and very hot!!! Do just beware when booking!

Showers were ok but soggy floors by the end of the day! All clean tho! Kitchen is best I've been in oz! Nice and clean and a mutual respect by everyone to keep it clean! Staff always around to keep an eye too!!

You get half hour free Internet daily but I asked nicely and got extra for free when I needed it! Great place!

Best thing is just the laid back atmosphere, there the only place who had not got a licensed bar, so you just bring your own! We had friends over most nights to drink from the other hostel! I was worried it would be noisy but wasn't at all and everyone just respects each other! Also they've got a really cool free DVD room with a corner sofa! With 24hr DVD facilities! You can also hire a USB with all latest films on for $20 deposit!

Also 24hr laundry and kitchen!

Just an all round great little hostel :o)

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Forget about Dingos or the other hostel that meets your eye when you get off the greyhound - turn left and you only have to walk 30m to find this lovely hostel.

The super friendly staff makes it home away from home, rooms are clean, free breakfast, coffee and tea all day long - and do yourself a favor and book your Fraser Island trip with these guys too. You will not regret it. With their tag-a-long tour you'll drive your own 4WD all over Fraser together with a brunch of other happy backpackers staying at Pippies and staying in their Camp over night - it's a much more authentic way to experience the island than from one of the huge tourist buses taking middle-aged parents to the island.

Can most definitely recommend Pippies to anyone thinking about Fraser. Despite rainbow beach is tiny and without anything interesting to do, it's a really nice laidback break from the all the backpacker party fuss - at least for a while

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The hostel had such a great vibe to it, really laid back and friendly. I booked my Fraser tour with pippies but was late arriving, after the briefing, which meant missing it with my group and causing extra work for the staff but they were not put out by it at all, and went out of their way to make sure I was up to date and felt included by my group. Met some really lovely people here and the Fraser Island trip was amazing and really well priced. The receptionist Jas was really lovely and helpful. She encouraged me to go on a free paddle boarding lesson arranged through the hostel as an extra and I had a great time, saw sting rays, fish and two dolphins at the end who took some food out of my hand. Rooms were basic but clean, but the outside area and surroundings were really nice. Would defiantly recommend anyone going to rainbow beach to stay at pippies. Best hostel I've stayed at.

Room Tip: 4 rooms by the pool are the best, air con with these and nice location in the hostel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
N.Ireland
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here and felt so welcome from the minute I arrived after a long journey! Staff at reception are so helpful and up for a laugh too which is great! :)
Loved the themed rooms, makes a change from all the clinical looking hostel rooms I've stayed at!! Good atmosphere and close to the bus stop, beach and shops! Loved our time here! The$5 BBQ is amazing!! You won't leave hungry!

• Stayed February 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2013

One of the best hostels on my Australia trip. They have everything from friendly staff to an awesome beach. Decided after 2 days to stay for 10 days and enjoyed all activities like painting my own boomerang or the walk to the sand dune. The Fraser Island tour was def my best tour in Oz with a lovely tour guide who did everything that we enjoyed our time. I'm happy that I did not do it with the other tour operators. The rooms, kitchen and bathroom have been very clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo