“The Food was awesome and the Atmosphere was fantastic”
Review of Sunshine On The Bay - CLOSED

Sunshine On The Bay
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My husband any myself dine at Sunshine On The Bay on a regular basis whenever we are in Brisbane. We would not go anywhere else. The service is excellent and very friendly with Sonya greeting us as we came in. The whole atmosphere is just great. The food - what can we say - delicious. Keep up the great work. We love it.

1  Thank Heather S

Reviewed April 9, 2014

When arriving at Sunshine on the Bay I could tell the atmosphere, the decor and even the staff contributed to the overall presentation and feel of the evening. The atmosphere was different to the normal restaurant when the idea is to have a huge turn over of staff, it was more so about the customer and their quality of dining so that they would return! Which is certainly the way I felt! I was never rushed to leave for another group of people to have my table which it had set a high standard for the meals yet to come! I had ordered the crab mornay and an entree. I have never tried this before and I was excited because I like seafood but don't get me wrong I am a fussy eater. The mornay came out portioned well and every mouthful was amazing!!!!!! I was lucky, I actually received the last mornay of the evening as they had been so popular throughout the night. As a main I ordered the lamb cutlets which were marinated in maple syrup and rosemary, sounds odd BUT you would not believe how well they complimented each other. Generous serving of cutlets with the right amount of sauce. It was accompanied by a lemon like aoli!!!! I just wished I could take the chef home with me!! Even the side salad was tasty! You sometimes you get yukky side salads and I asked if I could have more!! I have eaten at lots of restaurants. Sunshine on the Bay is a restaurant where you can order movie star quality food for affordable prices. I certainly would eat there again!!!!!!!!

1  Thank Rebekka B
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Met up with friends who I haven't seen in ages at this restaurant. Was a fabulous night. Food was absolutely amazing. Definitely value for money! Portuguese chicken is amazing. I didn't have room for desert so will have to save that for next time!
The staff are very friendly. And greeted me and my friends with a massive smile. They definitely aim to please.
I think we will definitely make this our regular hang out! Thank you.

2  Thank Kirsten S
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Four of us ate here tonight, two of us thought the food was less than impressive, well below restaurant standard, while the other two though their meals were good. It is all a bit hit and miss - the bad meals were the Sunshine Penne and the Seafood Chowder and the good meals were the Peri Peri Chicken and the Barramundi. The prices charged ($30 for the Chowder) should guarantee good meals rather than having to take pot luck.
Staff were very friendly and the service good, but I go to a restaurant mainly for food quality and tonight, for me, it just was not there.

4  Thank ozallan21
Sonya C, Owner at Sunshine On The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear ozallan21,

Thank you for your review and the additional information you have now provided via private email re your experience at Sunshine on the Bay. As the owners we do appreciate customer feedback especially if it is conducive to a great dining experience and/or the betterment of our business as a whole.

On this occasion however we also have a mixed reaction about your review and the additional information you provided. In the additional information provided you explained that the seafood was cooked well in the chowder but the sauce was bland and lacked taste. This dish is made in the restaurant to a specific San Francisco style recipe which in essence is a cream and butter base with vegetables. We do sell many of these every week especially to our regular American customers so it's disappointing to us that you did not express your concern when asked about your meal at the time.

In relation to the Penne that your wife ordered you explained that she did not enjoy it because it was very oily? In this case the Pesto is also made at the restaurant but it is not an oil based pesto. That said, when the dish is cooked there is a very small amount (approx 1 teas) of oil added to the pan when the pesto and green prawns are cooked, just before the hot pasta is added.

We accept that you and your wife may not have been impressed as stated however (after further investigation) your table was asked on at least two occasions whether you enjoyed everything and nothing was said, you were even making jokes with our staff when you were leaving? When we questioned you about this in our private email to you, you stated you did not want to taint your evening. This we find very unfair as we do guarantee our quality and value and found it very disappointing that you chose to use a public forum to express your opinion, rather than give us the opportunity to happily rectify your concerns on the night.

Regards
Sunshine on the Bay

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have been to this restaurant on four occasions. The food is always excellent and the staff are always friendly and extremely efficient. Tonight was a "girls night out". Two of us decided to have the seafood platter for two with the crab moray (heaven on a plate or two). This is a foodies dream. Fresh, tasty and fantastic value. We were lucky enough to have a voucher from the Entertainment Book which was happily accepted. Thank you to Sonia and Brian, we'll be back and I know two of the ladies that were first timers will be back again too!!!!

Dear Elliedogbrisbane,
Thank you for your very kind words as we really do appreciate your feedback. It was our pleasure having you and 'the girls' in for dinner and we look forward to seeing you all again in the future.
Owners