“We loved it!”

Cedar Glen Farmstay
Singapore, Singapore
“We loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed in Stinson Cottage for 2 nights in early November. The cottage was fully equipped with all the necessary appliances with a washing machine and dryer at the back of the cottage. Although we didn't use most of the appliances, they looked quite new. The cottage was cosy with a patio in front. We watched the sunrise over the hills and mountains from the patio in the mornings and saw wild wallabies in the field beside the cottage. A pair of sparrows and other wild birds were frequent visitors! The cottage has a fence around it but the horses still like to come up the side of the cottage. It was also clean, cleaner than the 4.5 star hotel we stayed in surfers paradise. The car is parked at the backyard next to the cottage. There is a short flight of stairs up so advisable to repack your clothes and stuff into smaller bags, and leave the rest in the car, so that you don't lug your luggages up the stairs.

We took up the fully catered option and the food was very good. It was lovely having picnic lunches by the stream with cattle grazing nearby. We appreciated the care and thought taken in preparing separate diary-free meals (including desserts) for my younger child.

The kids enjoyed the animal feeding (chicken, ducks, turkey, sheep, piglets) in the mornings and evenings. Peacocks roamed the area freely. Milking the cow and egg collecting were done in the mornings. The horse riding was a 1 hour trail ride and offered another way of exploring the area and enjoying the scenery. We enjoyed the boomerang throwing and whip cracking, as well as the 4WD tour up the mountain to watch the sunset.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank GTKL

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Being a clean freak, I don't deny that I had apprehensions about the cottage I was gonna stay in for 3d. I was worried that I would hv to spend some time cleaning up the cottage before it was "livable" by my standards. Alas, I didn't even had to touch the broom or mop thruout my entire stay!

Pros:
- Excellent, AWESOME, magnificent views of Lamington National Park! Oh man, the view is to die for! It's especially so for me because I come from a country which is basically a city everywhere. No inspiring views anywhere. So this is really a treat for me. I just love it and relish every moment I had to look at the scenery

- The cottage sure exudes the charm of a real cottage set in the olden days. There's even a very traditional looking heater in the living area. Firewood is also provided. But we didn't know how to use it, lest we burn the entire cottage down, we didn't try. But there was no need anyway. At night, it's cold!

- Close proximity to nature. Horses grazing at the verandah or hanging out just outside the window are really common sights. For the 1st time, there's no barrier between me and this magnificent animal, can just stroke and touch them. Feels great!

- Close to creeks. We brought our kids to a couple of creeks and had the guided picnic tour as well, which is near the Corner Pool. Great! I thought the creek at the Lost World was better though. Clear running water and there are cows near the creek too!

- Kitchen in the cottage is very well-stocked. It's the BEST kitchen compared to the other apartments I stayed in earlier. Even a 1st aid kit is provided. How thoughtful! Lots of supplies provided, eg bottle of handwashing detergent instead of the many others I've seen, just a pathetic sachet of detergent to last me like 8d! Also provided rolls of toilet paper to last a typical family a week at least. Again, the other apartments I stayed in only provided 2 rolls for a long stay for a family of 4 people. Sigh...

- Cottage is squeaky clean considering it's a cottage set in the nature! Sure there are bugs and such with some cobwebs stuck on the netting etc. But hey it's a cottage in nature! So be prepared for wasps, bugs, frogs, etc. Within the cottage itself though it's really very clean and I feel so at home. Even the kids liked being in the cottage, watching DVDs. Yes they provide DVDs as well!

- Kids get to enjoy nature too! Through animal feeding and milking of cow.

- Twilight tour was good and reasonably priced. Go for it if you can. It gives you a different perspective of the farm and allows you the chance to appreciate the enormity of the farm

Cons:
- A tad too expensive just for meals! A$35 for a lunch/dinner....=( I didn't think was worth it considering what was served. Yes they taste good but I don't think it's value for money

- Nothing much to do if you don't sign up for any of the activities which are at additional charges. But certainly you can bring kids to the creeks like we did or even bring them up the mountain and explore caves. We didn't get to do that though

Overall:
- What can I say? EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT! I will definitely want to return to this farm when I have the opportunity to, someday. Just love the serenity of it all.....

Tip:
- Don't go for their catered meals. Before your arrival at the farm, there's a town nearby (about 30mins away). Buy your groceries from Coles and prepare your own meals. It's way more economical that way. We only catered 2 meals, day 1 dinner and day 2 picnic lunch. The term they used, guided picnic tour simply means that someone will bring you to the site, set up the gazebo and prepare billy tea, set up the picnic table with the food (sandwiches, fruits, cakes, etc). So don't expect any "commentary" about the place you're at etc. Perhaps if you ask the staff may share but it's not like a standard part of the experience.

Just to give you an idea. The dinner mains basically consisted of 2 pieces of ham, steamed/boiled veg and mashed potatoes as sides. The dessert was brownie with a scoop of ice-cream. This will set you back A$35. I think in Singapore, with that kind of price, I could've had a rack of baby back ribs with dessert! Oh ok, fine the set does come with bread and juice. But still, I don't think it's worth it. But it's up to you, if you prefer a hassle-free stay then sure go for fully catered meals but just note that it will cost you an arm/leg PER adult. Close to A$100 per adult PER DAY.

If I were you, I would rather spend the money on activities.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Vanessa T
Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed in the Stinson Cottage for two nights. The overall experience was extremely laid-back and liberating. The farm was so big, it felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves. Farm animals were aplenty too - there were peacocks, chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. My two-year old grinned victoriously as he walked out of the barn with freshly-laid chicken eggs in his hands. We also had the opportunity to get upclose and personal with the sheep and pigs. The animal feeding session ended with the kids taking turns to hand-milk the cow, where they drank their fruit of labour – freshly squeezed from the udders!

The cottage comprises two bedrooms, a fully-equipped kitchen, a bathroom, a toilet and a living area. It exudes the charm of a classic Australian countryside home and is comfortably furnished with yesteryear furniture and photos, complemented by the comfort of modern amenities. The authentic wood fireplace in the living area kept us warm on cold winter nights.

It was very cold on the second night we were there and my sleep was disturbed by two crazy possums fighting on the cottage rooftop. That's how close we got to nature! We paid for the fully catered package comprising authentic Australian breakfast, lunch and dinner cooked with fresh farm produce. They were sumptuous! If you are planning to cook on your own, do remember to buy your food ingredients on your way to Cedar Glen as the nearest town from the farm is around 35 minutes away.

All in all, Cedar Glen Farmstay is perfect if you’re looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, spend some quality with your family and experience life in rural Australian outback

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank joeybuzz
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed in Wallaby Cottage for 3 days 2 nights. The feeling when we first entered the cottage was amazing! Being brought up in high rise apartment our whole life, this is really an eye opening experience. Imagine waking up at 6am and were greeted by a huge cow infront of yr entrance! And not forgetting wallabies and possum too! We took their fullboard catered meal and yes, we didnt regret one bit. We're too busy with horse riding, whip cracking, throwing boomerang and animal feeding, wouldnt want to waste my time cooking. Our host Kathy is very welcoming and friendly. Had Nigel to teach us on the boomerang and whipcracking and of coz, horse riding. We're missing Jimmy the horse terribly! Oh and Hillary too! Picnic lunch was the best experience we had, great food, great scenery. We were amazed by their effort of bringing guest to different location for lunch. I read from here that one should spend at least 3 days to experience the farm lifestyle, but we regret for not extending it more. We left to gold coast on the 3rd day. By evening, in the apartment that we rent, i can hear my husband said that his heart is still in Cedar Glen. By the next day, my 5 yr old girl wanted to go back to the farm too. If not for the distance, we will be back very soon. Please convey our thanks to yr team, Kathy, Nigel, Sabrina and the rest especially the cook. Thanks once again for the wonderful experience.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed at the homestead as there were 8 of us altogether (4a4c). Very big room with 4 bedrooms, a tv room and a huge verandah with a pool table. The sights and the fresh air is absolutely to-die-for and the starry starry night is something that i will remember forever. Never in my life had i seen a sky that is so filled with twinkling stars!

Like the friendly staff there and the very relaxed yet cannot-find activities in my own country. Animal feedings and cow milking are what the kiddos enjoyed most. Even saw a wild possum that decided to scamper into the verandah and up onto the table to look for food while we were playing pool at 8pm...stayed for only a night but would lurve to stay 1 more night if itinerary allows. And staying at the homestead means have to take their catered meals which is more pricey...

All in all, this is a place u wouldn't want to miss if u r looking for a farmstay in gold coast!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank blurqu33n
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

Just over an hours drive from Brisbane makes this location one of our favorites!

The children have a wonderful time - and adults too.

The service is the same - smiling faces greet you, making you feel you are at home.

Our favorite cottage - Stinson, awaited us, with magnificent views and a fire place fully stocked with timber ready for lighting and roasting marshmallows.

Again, we went for the fully catered package, even though a fully stocked cottage is ready and waiting for those who choose to cook for themselves, but with hearty homestyle breakfast, picnic lunches by the river and wholesome country dinners await..why bother? one thing you wont feel at Cedar Glenn - is hungry, with generous serves of home made delights, using locally sourced produce.

What adventures did we get up to this time? animal feeding in morning and evening, chickens, pigglest, ducks, turkeys, sheep, donkey, horses and cows ( including cow milking in the morning) = wish the children would get up so quickly during school days!

Picnic lunches,where plenty of exploring along the river banks, rock skimming and children had a great time socializing with the other guests children.

Horse riding - through the most beautiful country, steams and what a great view of wildlife!

Camp fires outdoors and roasting of marshmallows

Lots of walks and generally having fun!

Thank you once again Nigel, Sabrina, Kathy, Linda - and others - we will be back :-)

Sylvia,Chris and family
*new photos uploaded

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank sylvia2006
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

2 families went and stayed 2 nights at the dairy cottage. Accommodation price includes farm experience in the morning and late afternoon. All other items like food, horse-riding, picnic lunch, etc, got to pay extra. Many rooms (2 Master bedroom with queen size bed, 2 bunk rooms sleeps 6) but only 1 bathroom with attached toilet and 1 toilet outside. We had to take turns to shower so not very convenient. Overall, great experience but pricey....

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Yrain
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaudesert
Lillydale Farmstay
Binna Burra Mountain Lodge
Christmas Creek Cafe`& Cabins
Christmas Creek Cafe`& Cabins
#5 of 5 in Lamington National Park

Been to Cedar Glen Farmstay? Share your experiences!