“Excellent value for money!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers

and 1 more site!
1770 Southern Cross Backpackers
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent value for money!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

This has to be one of the best hostels I have had the pleasure of staying at as I travel up the East Coast. Excellent peaceful landscaped gardens, picturesque views and excellent clean accommodation. The staff could not do enough to assist with my stay and the facilities were excellent. There is a very relaxing, friendly feel to the hostel and I was lucky enough to stay on one of there party nights which was amazing with fun entertaining party games. I would definately recommend staying here, a complete hidden gem x

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nicolad217

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were here for one night, The staff were quite friendly and showed us to our 6 bedded mixed dorm, the door didn't lock so wasn't too keen on leaving anything valuable in the room, the surrounding area is really nice with a lovely lake. The kitchen is big and clean and the eating area is big, the free breakfast was rubbish as one loaf of bread was moldy and the other loaf was stale. The free shuttle bus was handy as there wasn't really much to do in the evening, the last shuttle bus left 20 minutes early from town so make sure you are there early enough to catch it. Location is a bit out of the way but the shuttle bus solves that problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This for me was the ideal place to stop before Kroombit it was a nice hostel not ideally located but did offer a shuttle service so we could get into the main town! In had a relaxed atmosphere. The 'sausage sizzle' is not to be missed!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1770southerncross, Owner at 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your nice review. So glad our hostel gave you that chance to relax and unwind before your next long haul in the bus. Pitty you didnt have time to stay in Agnes longer. People who only have the chance to stay here one night miss out on soooooooooooo much. If you ever have the chance to come back, try and stay for a few days. Agnes Water/ 1770 has so much to offer and is one of the most beautiful places on the east coast. Unfortunately, so many people miss this experience at they are so tightly booked. Glad also that you enjoyed our good ole aussie sausage sizzle. We have them 3 times a week. Enjoy the rest of your travels in our awsome country.
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at Southern Cross for 3 Nights and had the most relaxing time! The layout of the hostel is perfect, loads of room to chill, plenty of hammocks, awesome pool and FREE PING PONG! It has a really nice atmosphere to it and the perfect place to just relax.

The staff are amazingly friendly and give the hostel a real homely sense to the place.

The owners explained to me how they build the hostel from nothing and all the work they put into it. I'm sure they are proud as the hostel is beautiful. I could of easily spent a lot more time there.

Overall this place is friendly, peaceful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Any, there all clean and comfy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lalisa C, Owner at 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Sounds like you love ping pong !! thank you so much for your review. It is always so wonderful to hear how people appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this place to make it so beautiful.
Hard to imagine when you see it now that it started off as one of the worst looking bush blocks, full of rocks, weeds and so much scrub we didn't even know where the boundaries were. 30 acres takes a long time to clear. We have planted thousands of trees which are now so big to make it look like the tropical paradise it is today. Each year it just looks more amazing. Enjoy the rest of your time here in OZ. It is an amazing country.
Saint Kilda, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

My initial experience having been tainted by a scam booking through Tribal Travel, these people were literally saviours. A kind, welcoming bunch, they were helpful in every respect, had a shuttle to and from the main part of Agnes Water, and were always patient when it came to waiting around there too! It was great to meet all the staff, and also just get bits of advice from them and the owners, who were also welcoming and accessible unlike other hostels and the like. Don't worry about being far from the beach, the bus leaves every two hours for that main area, from which the beach is a mere short walk- something to keep busy if nothing else!
ALSO, how great that they actually have a swimmable swimming pool- so uncommon in my travelling experience!

Room Tip: I stayed in Sweden, though I think they're all pretty samey.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words. My husband and I try to do our best to make sure that our guests are looked after as much as possible and I am so happy that we made your experience here at Southern Cross and Agnes Water such a happy one. I sincerely hope that the rest of your trip goes as well as your time here with us. Enjoy every minute !!!
Slough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

We were due to stay here for two nights while doing Scooteroo in 1770. The buses we were booked on wouldn't run into the town so we called the hostel and they happily agreed to pick me and my friend up from Miriam Vale. We confirmed our bus would be arriving at 2.15am and they said that was no problem and they would pick us up.

We were slightly late arriving at Miriam Vale and when we arrived there was no bus. We called them endless amounts of times and tried to get a taxi (but they didn't run at that time), so we (two lone girls) had to wait at the bus stop in the middle of no where, in a place neither of us knew for 6 hours. Eventually they picked up their phones and after another two hours sent someone to pick us up (who charged us $5 more than the price it should have been). Apparently they heard we were going to be very late so didn't bother coming out, even though they had our phone numbers and could have called us to tell us. Everything they said completely contradicted themselves and the story changed so many times I've lost track.

When we got to the hostel the staff were lovely (the hostels one redeeming feature) and called the owners so we could complain (we were very calm even though they swore at us and raised their voices). After a few minutes on the phone they hung up, only to call back and tell the staff member not to let us stay!! They wouldn't refund us our money for the two nights that we had already paid and gave us 10 minutes to get off their property. She even came down to shout at us and call us "whinging poms" in front of all the guests.

We booked through a travel agent who have now put a block on booking any of their customers into this hostel.

Words can not describe how vile this woman was, she is the worst human being I have ever had the displeasure to come across and only hope you read this and take my advice...avoid like the plague!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Luisa B
Lalisa C, Owner at 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your review girls. I would like however to put to put a few things straight as you constantly over-talked us and were not prepared to listen to my husband or myself when we were trying to explain to you, our side of the story. So thanks to you, writing this review, I can voice to you and to the world, exactly why I lost my temper with you and used the old Auzzie term "winging poms" . My husband and I have been doing countless premier bus pick ups during the floods, when we could, access the roads. We are the only hostel in Agnes Water, that offer this service, as my husband and I do it by ourselves. We do advertise the fact that we offer a shuttle service, to pick up Premier bus customers from the Premier bus stop, which is 25 klms outside Agnes Water. We have two pick ups, one at 12.10am and the other at 2.15am. It takes us approx 30 minutes each way at a charge of $10.00 per person. Because of the floods, the Premier bus drivers could not pass the flooded roads, (even if the locals new that they were open), until their management allowed them to cross, so we had to drive 50 klms to pick up and drop off our guests. We then had to increase our price to $20 per person as the distance was doubled. The night you were due to come in, my husband and myself drove out to Miriamvale to drop off and pick up our customers for the 12.10am. The Premier bus was delayed, and we waited till 1.30am. The bus driver told us that he had 2 people to drop off, to us, on his list but the bus that they were on, had broken down and was not expected to arrive in to Miramvale until at least 4.30am, (if at all) . We asked the driver to give the 2 people the option of staying on the bus until the next drop off point or staying for a couple of hours in Miriamvale, so alternate arrangements could be made. We spoke to the bus driver and he said that he gave you that option and you said that you would wait. He told us that the bus arrived at around 3.30am. You said you were stuck in the middle of no-where, but you were in a town, with lighting, buildings, police station, public toilets and public pay phones. If you tried to ring the hostel at that hour of the morning, you get no answer. We are a small family owned hostel and do not have a 24 hour reception and can not afford to pay bus drivers $25 per hour, waiting for delayed bus lines, when we only get $25 per bed, per day. Anyway, you arrived, the staff were, as we have taught them to be, lovely to all our guests, told us that you would not listen to them, or their explanations of the events that took place and as a last resort, called us. We had only a few hours sleep, once again after 4 nights in a row, of driving shuttle buses, during the floods. You then abused my husband so he put me on the phone, and I got the same treatment. By this stage I just told my staff, that I couldn't deal with you, as you were not prepared to listen to anything we had to say and I told them, by this point "if they are not happy, just tell them that they are quite welcome to stay at another hostel" The staff then, organized for one of the hostels in town to pick you up.
I walked up with the "driver from the other hostel" and once again tried to explain what happened and once again I was verbally attacked and told that if we advertise and tell people that we will pick them up, that we should be there. Once again you over-talked me and I lost my temper. We did everything possible at our end to make sure you got here. We organized the school bus to get you. We have no control of how much he charges. (Should have been free, as he does the run every day anyway as part of his job.) Not like us, who have to wait up every night, to pick up from the Premier. You said "if I had daughters, would I leave them in the middle of no-where" I have 3, two of them traveled around Mexico by themselves under the age of 22. There is no way I would leave two girls stuck somewhere that I thought was not safe. If you think Miriamvale is in the middle of no-where, you have no idea of, in this country, what "the middle of no-where" is, actually like. To summarize, if you girls had of been civil, instead of yelling at us over the phone, we could have sat down and had a chat, face to face, and listened to each others state of events. We would have done for you what we do for all our guests, that is given you the best possible service we can offer, and looked after you until the flood waters subsided and got you back out to the premier stop in-between the flood waters, so you could continue your journey. In future, for your own reference, in this country, DON'T GO OFF HALF COCKED... We old school Auzzies, do our best and go beyond the norm, to help out visitors to our country but when, we are trying to do our best to help out and cop the abuse you gave us, of course we loose it. I cannot understand why your agents said they would put a block on us, as most of the booking agents know that my husband and myself personally went out to pick people up during the floods when no-one else would, not like the other hostels who just left their customers stranded out there and didn't care. We often picked up their kids when we were out there and brought them in and gave them a place to sleep. Maybe your agent should have checked out the Greyhound service. This service brings you into Agnes Water at a reasonable hour and their is no extra charges for a shuttle service. If you are going to write bad reviews, how come the rich bus companies never get the blame and how come the other hostels in town who leave their passengers stranded don't even get a mention. Anyway girls I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels. Chill out a bit, you are in Australia now, and understand that the we have no control over the universe. I am not a vile person, in fact most of the time I am one of the most accommodating and loving people you would ever hope to meet in this world, I have four beautiful children, the most beautiful 3 year old grand-daughter and another one due in April.....but with hardly any sleep for days, floods to deal with, and people abusing my staff, my husband and myself.....what can I say...I am only human. If you want to complain about how the floods wrecked your whole auzzie experience, maybe GOD has a Trip Advisor account and you can give him a bad review.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

It's with deepest regret that I have to write this post but your brand is been seriously damaged by the owner at southern cross 1770, Agnes water.

Upon arriving our group paid $20 each for a shuttle to Miriam vale. The weather prevented this from happening.

The waters have subsided yet no shuttle was offered. As we leave for the uk tomorrow we are currently waiting for alternative transport.

The manager is now refusing a refund on a service which he can now deliver. He also contacted local taxi firms to block us from leaving. Both issues have been raised to your head office who also tried to contact him directly. This is a blatant attempt to get more money from your customers.

We've stayed in numerous nomads during our stay in Australia and this one stands out for all the wrong reasons. This is not how we'd like to remember Australia.

If you can investigate this further we would be greatly appreciative as you offer a fantastic service!!!

Kind regards
Ashley Empson

• Stayed February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1770southerncross, Owner at 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your review. It sounds as though this is an email that you have copied and pasted onto this site. Firstly I just wanted to say that we are an independent family built and family owned hostel. We are only an affiliate with one of the major hostel chains and they have no say on how we run our business. You refer to our manager as a male when if fact it is actually a female. I have spoken to our manager and all reception staff regarding this matter and they told me it was another one of those days where everyone staying at the hostel were panicking because of the flooded roads and were desperately trying to organize a way to get out of Agnes Water as they had trips pre-booked up and down the east coast. We had rung the local police earlier on that day and were told that the roads were closed and under no circumstances attempt to cross them. There are heavy fines involved crossing flooded roads and to those profiteering by taking stranded and desperate people accross them. We were advised to monitor the Gladstone council road closure website as it was the one that ran updates throughout the day, which we did. We did not give refunds for the shuttle service as we were waiting for the all clear from the council, which we received in the afternoon and our shuttle ran as normal. At no stage did any we or any staff member contact the taxi to try and stop you from leaving. You organized the taxi yourselves and paid them $150 to take you to Miriamvale. Of course I can understand, for that amount of money the taxi service would be quite happy to take the risk of trying to get through even though the roads were not officially open. If you had waited a couple of more hours you would have been told that it was OK for our shuttle to run and you would have been on our bus for the $20 you paid. We have a duty of care to make sure that all our guests are safe and as there have been 22 human lives lost in Queensland due to flooding in recent times, under no circumstances would we attempt to cross flooded roads. This was not a blatent attempt to get more money from you, it was a matter of getting our guests safely to the premier bus pick up which because of the floods was a 50 klm run for us instead of the usual 25 klms. You obviously used our free internet service to make a complaint about us whilst enjoying all the other free stuff our hostel offers. It is sad that you did not take the time to communicate better with management. You would have saved yourselves $150.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Agnes Water
Sandcastles 1770 Motel & Resort
Agnes Palms Beachside Apartments
Agnes Palms Beachside Apartments
#17 of 17 in Agnes Water

Been to 1770 Southern Cross Backpackers? Share your experiences!