“Service was terrible”
Review of The Seahorse Inn

The Seahorse Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Eden
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We recently had dinner at the Brasserie. The waitress took our orders, my husband ordered steak, whilst she asked how he would like it cooked, she didn't ask whether he wanted it with salad and chips or vegetables. He had to go up to the servery and tell the chef who was very pleasant and accommodating. When our bottle of wine arrived in an ice bucket, the waitress left t it on the table unopened and walked away. My husband opened the wine removed it from the ice bucket to pour and realised it was the wrong wine - right brand, wrong variety! It was replaced of course. I had the kingfish which was nice. My husband's steak was average - a bad cut of meat. The waitress seemed a bit disinterested in her work. There are plenty of places in the country that have service on a par or better than many city establishments. This is a beautiful place and spoilt by this service.

You can forgive a lack of finesse in service if it is delivered with enthusiasm and friendliness which we find in most country places that we visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ExplorersAus

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed at the adjacent caravan park and eaten and drunk at the Seahorse Inn on several occasions, most recently this week. The location is stunning, the food and bar were well above average, and the facilities were excellent. We spent Easter lunch there, with a jumping castle and egg-hunts for the kids. It was just lovely.

The adjacent park is really ideal for camper trailers and large groups who want to put the wagons into a circle, have a big fire and not be bothered by too many rules, or by parties who want lots of separation and privacy. The facilities are three-star only, but visitors are rewarded with loads of space and beachfront, and the nearby Seahorse Inn. We love it.

My only criticism is that, like many operations in regional Australia, the Seahorse Inn seems to be limited by unprofitable award rates on public holidays, so they appear to be under-staffed and under-trained at times. I think that is what many fellow reviewers are getting at. Visitors should probably be a little realistic - you won't get Sydney Harbour standards of service, at top award rates on weekends and public holidays, at such a remote location with low volumes and little drive-by traffic. What you will get, is an unbeatable locations, views, gardens, good food, a nice bar, a great adjacent caravan park and a little country "charm" ;-).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Littondoddy
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We booked this hotel and as we drove in we were not disappointed. The building dates back to 1843 but has been well maintained and is set in very pretty grounds.
The room we were allocated, was on the ground floor and had a small private terrace accessed through French doors. I can't help but comment upon the totally excellent room and soft furnishings, they were of the best quality. The bed was most comfortable and the pillows quite remarkable. Breakfast was Continental style although a full cooked breakfast was available.
We chose the continental and found it to be adequate. Staff were friendly & never too far away if you needed anything.
Management is doing a superb job. If asked would I stay there again I would have to say an emphatic YES.

Room Tip: '"The room we stayed in beautiful"'
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peta s
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Rachel who was a stand in Receptionist, was great, but the real one was cold and brisk. The lunch was ok but we stayed for the evening meal in the Brasserie which was really bad quality food and when we complained we could hear the Receptionist/ manager say "Just put it down to them being Poms". Unprofessional is not the word ! Staff are always a companies biggest asset and this third rate place has no assets at all. The owner needs to fire and rehire quality customer facing people and also buy quality chicken breast meat not really bad thigh meat.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Darlaannabelle
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Fantastic family accomodation, great food, great surrounding beaches. Will be back again to stay whenever possible. Great walks on the beautiful beach.
. Easy access to eden and the wharf area good place to visit.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Few who journey along the coast between Sydney and Melbourne stop halfway at Boydtown. More should because of its historic significance; it could have been Australia’s capital. Boydtown was founded in 1843 by Scottish wheeler-dealer Benjamin Boyd as his base for shipping, farming and whaling interests. At the time he was one of the biggest landholders in the colonies and dreamed of his township becoming capital of a united Australia. But his empire foundered and all that’s left is Seahorse Inn and Boyd’s great, stone, whale-spotting tower.
The inn is in an impressive beachside location and has been tastefully restored but its character is a bit schizophrenic; part pub, part boutique hotel with fine dining restaurant. Some features jar, such as too much chrome and light timber, and the gaudy sign for the pub’s Bistro.
However staff were helpful and we had a large comfortable room (#8), with balcony and superb views. And what’s not to enjoy about fine dining at bistro prices!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We arrived here for our honeymoon. Nobody was at the reception desk, so we rang the bell and waited a period of time until the receptionist arrived. The receptionist had a coldness about her, was very brisk and not at all friendly. We actually had to ask her how her day was, not the other way around! We went up to our room, to be greeted with a terrible smell. I lifted up the toilet seat to use the toilet, and to my horror-there was, well, 'waste'. An actual, unflushed poo, creating a dark rim around the entire bowl. I was absolutely mortified. It was beyond disgusting The receptionist, no matter how much I paged her, was nowhere to be found. I eventually found her out the back in the bar. Granted, she personally came up and cleaned the toilet herself, but she still lacked warmth and genuine empathy. $315 a night, on our honeymoon, and there was poo in the toilet... I wanted to leave but my new husband insisted we relax and open the windows. One window was broken, so could not be opened. Was anything right in this place?? So then he suggested we have a spa. Went to use the spa-and it was covered with dead bugs. A lady then came up to our room with flowers, strawberries and champagne to make amends. My husband insisted that I not tell this lady about the dead bugs or window, to save her from further embarrassment. While trying to enjoy the champagne and put the toilet drama from my mind, loud music started playing, permeating through the walls. I went downstairs now completely distraught, and asked the receptionist if we could move rooms as the next room were playing loud music. "Oh, oops, that's my music" the receptionist told me, "I've accidentally played it through the hotel hallways". I went back to our room. Last straw!!!! I am no princess, and have travelled extensively through the most dodgy parts of the world...but have never experienced anything remotely like this. We ended up leaving. The hotel then rang and left us voice messages. On one of the voice messages, the caller didn't hang up properly, and could be heard saying nastily, "They won't call back". Never, ever in my life have I had such bad service. And poo in the toilet?! Just begs belief. We found another place at half the price, and it was just wonderful-simple, and nice. The Seahorse Inn is just not the classy boutique hotel it advertises itself to be.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank LpChB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eden
Comfort Inn Merimbula
Eden Motel
#2 of 8 in Eden
4 mi away
Coachman's Rest Motor Inn

Been to The Seahorse Inn? Share your experiences!