“Popular and well presented”
Review of Restaurant Mystique - CLOSED

Restaurant Mystique
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We arrived on time for our table booked at 19h15, and were seated underneath a ceiling fan, which we asked to have turned off. The relatively small restaurant was fully booked, with a table set for a group of 12 or 14 (it was just before Christmas). Aperitif wine was served quickly, and we selected oysters and smoked trout, followed by a steak (rare) and chicken breast. The food was swiftly served, almost to the extent of being rushed. Both mains were delicious, with Australian-sized portions a bit of a turn-off for European appetites. Red wine by the glass was good too, although difficult to get a refill as the large group had sat down and were taking up all the staff attention. As a result, we skipped desert. No complaints for the food, just a shame they didn't have more waiting staff and then might have made the experience a little less "fast food".

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I see that there is a wide variety of reviews for the restaurant.
What cannot be doubted is the quality of the food - it is excellent. The service I think depends on when you go. Our B&B hostess recommended early so we had a 6.30pm which turned out ideal. We noticed that towards the end of our meal they were struggling with the numbers to serve which is unfortunate for them.
The exterior is not enticing but fine once inside. Our waitress was very good and the barman/manager kept on top of our drinks but you could see him getting more stressed ask they became busier.
Would recommend but go early

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My Wife book the Mystique Restaurant as a treat from my Birthday in early December. My wife read the reviews and as with anything on Trip Advisor there was positive and negative but mostly positive. When we arrived in Eden we drove to the Restaurant and weren't overly impressed by the exterior. Rod arrived on time to collect us from our accommodation. We shared a mini bus with several other couples and we shared a good chat en route to Mystique.
Inside the Restaurant was very nice and calming totally opposite from what the exterior looked like. Rod and Liz were very helpful and pleasant throughout the evening. As the evening progressed the Restaurant began to fill up I noted Rob and Liz managed to maintain a good level of service - not too slow and not too fast.
The food was very nice and well presented. The Seafood Paella I ordered was exquisite and included a crab cut in half allowing me to utilise the crustacean tools as part of the meal experience. Our children (2yrs and 7yrs) were catered for and made very welcome which is not always the case in Restaurants these days.
Rod and Liz arranged for my desert to be 'dressed up' for my Birthday and accompanied its arrival at our table with "Happy Birthday to You" music (not tacky but pleasant) plus other diners joined in (some even wishing me "Happy Birthday" as we departed the Restaurant).
I have to admit some of the other very negative reviews about Mystique Restaurant are a little harsh based on what we experienced. I did mention to Rod as he drove us back to our accommodation about the reviews on Trip Advisor and he advised me that one related to a morning when he was cooking for 48 persons on his own and 'pleasantly' requested the enquirer to call back later when he had more time to discuss his query.
I have scored it less than 5 as a rating as I am hard on my ratings based on over 10 yrs Hotel/Catering Management and would find it almost impossible to rate any establishment 5 as sometimes even the little things (attention to detail) slip such as serve from the right, clear from the left, pour drinks to the right, light bulb above our table not working (not in this case though I must add), etc!
In a nut shell - would I recommend this Restaurant? Yes, I would. Go, relax and enjoy. Bon appetite!

1  Thank Breezer72
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

This might be one of the worst dining experiences ever. The service was terrible. We had to wait 5 minutes to be seated and there were only 2 tables full. Both staff were on their phones and ignored us. We then had to ask for menus and I had to go to the bar to get my drink after asking the waitress 3 times. My husband had to teach the bartender how to make a martini! The meal was awful. I had steak that was dried and dry, the veg was greasy and my husbands pasta was tasteless. Even my son couldn't eat tomato pasta because it was so mushy. We had to find the waitress who was again on her phone in order to get the bill. It is very pricey. I would never recommend!!!

2  Thank Tricia C
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This restaurant is a gem (although not easy to find!) and we loved it! Very interesting and different decor and an engaging host who shared many stories (the restaurant was surprisingly a bit thin on numbers this night). Menu covered a broad range with an emphasis on seafood. We had the tomades (? - fish cakes with beautiful pieces of fresh prawns & crab), and the red-wine squid (both A1) and - being in Eden - we both had the "kilo of mussels", fresh and perfectly cooked. A fun dining experience, perhaps a little pricey but worth it.

1  Thank KandTCanberra